Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

The Eight Great Houses?

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.

Which of the Lyra's 8 Great House you feel would make a great impact within Clash of Dreams?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 am

Alliance of the Eclipse (AoE)
2%
House Calenture (HC)
22%
Keepers of the Eternal Shadows (KoES)
22%
Union of the Covenant (UoC)
7%
Dreamers of Light (DoL)
28%
Protectors of the Radiance (PoR)
4%
Order of the Sable Moon (OoSM)
11%
Gathering of the Entranced (GotE)
4%

Total votes: 46
Koi-Drama
Founder

The Eight Great Houses?

Post by Koi-Drama »

Dreamers!

In doing our research, we are reaching out to the playerbase for feedback. Which of the eight Great Houses do you think would create the most impact and/or make sense within the Dream? Which do you felt has more history, dynamics, and impact within the Underlight lore?

Choose (2) two options.

Note: Your answer should not necessarily reflect a house that your character was in.
“I try to bring the audience's own drama, tears and laughter they know about, to them.”
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Re: The Eight Great Houses?

Post by Roleplayer »

listening to the old players throughout these last few years. The baddies were UOC and KOES
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Flagg
Dreamer

Post by Flagg »

But you don't necessarily want a "baddie". If I had to pick two or three houses from Lyra to start with, I'd go with the original three. DoL, HC, and OSM.

There's more than enough political clashing in those three, to make things interesting.
CEO of Smythe Enterprises.

Pissing People Off with the Truth Since 1998™
Wolflancer
Dreamer

Post by Wolflancer »

GoTE is not on the list.
Koi-Raven

Post by Koi-Raven »

Added GoTE.
Jiovanni
Archon of Justice

Post by Jiovanni »

I'm bias to the UoC but it did'nt have the rivalry with DoL like HC did given their past history, although given the beliefs the Light held, it should of made the Union public enemy numero uno.
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

Dreaners of Light vs House Calenture. Thirs runner up is KoES, cause it is so different from the two. I would add GoTE to that. It would likely be the opposing house towards KoES. Nice four-way there
Brux
Dreamer

Post by Brux »

DoL and KoES. DoL had the most impact when I was playing, and KoES had a lot too... both always trying to mix it up with various game changing plans (successful or not). KoES worked with and against the mares and always seemed to have an ulterior motive... DoL always seemed to take the lead against the mares and plots etc. Anyway, that's how I remember it.
Ghalleon
Dreamer

Post by Ghalleon »

Im going to go with AoE. I remember alot of really fun RP coming from in and around that house back in the day. It is simply too easy to name HC and DoL. Those sorts of tensions pretty much always devolved into float-fests in and around cenotaph of dread. While I enjoy fast and bouncy as much as the next guy, thats what it is.
Craig
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Corin, Thaniel, KuKai, Lume

Post by Craig »

The first four, freesoul/illuminated and imprisoner/banisher two way cross rivalry was the most balanced. Everything after that got muddy and convoluted.
~Craig
cooki
Dreamer

Post by cooki »

I do like the idea of opposing houses, yes, as long as there is someone for others to go (like OSM, who were middle ground and not pacifists).
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Post by Yuritau »

Roleplayer wrote:listening to the old players throughout these last few years. The baddies were UOC and KOES
UOC were never "baddies".. we just made use of the one art all the other houses hated: Drain Essence. :P
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

In my opinion we need to get rid of the "fence sitting" houses and get the real tension and conflict driving houses going.
Darbage
Dreamer

Post by Darbage »

DoC and Union

They are the two houses that are literally on the farthest most spectrum of each other. If you were speaking storyline wise, they are the most divergent. Oh and hello!
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

So sorry to this post so late and entirely missed the vote but I definetly have much to add to this discussion .

1a. Dreamers of Light: DoL is must for Underlight to function properly. The history of the house, the radical beliefs, and the life long loyal members alone make it a fixture in the game. With that said...

1b. House Calenture: When your talking about dreamers like Kage and the other hardcore warriors that meant what they said and did as they believed. The everlasting HC vs DoL conflict alone was enough to jump start the glory days of Underlight.

2. Keepers of the Eternal Shadow: If there was ever a need for conflict or story line, simply look no further then the Umbric plains. KoES, a house that I simply fell in love with from the first time I logged in on Mplayer is the one house that has endless opportunity to -always- have an impact on the game. The back story and the epic encounters involving the Keepers, no matter the beliefs set at any given time, speak for itself. Heck, even when the house wasn't open you would have 20 players at any given time roaming around claiming loyalty to the house of darkness. KoES and its ability to be an enemy to free soul and illuminate alike at any given time was a truly unmatched dynamic. HC and DoL should count as one option as they go hand in hand and are really both needed to fully enjoy their impact. KoES stands alone, no assistance needed. If your looking for the one house that can get things going, hands down it would always be KoES.

3. Union of the Covenant: UoTC, much like KoES just not on as large a scale, had the ability to make an enemy of anyone at any given time. The house was often ruled by any group of arrogant and well played leaders who made no apologies for their codes or their ethics. Often the house would be undertaking house efforts that would be argued by free soul allies and illuminate enemies alike. Their hardy warriors and "no apologies" tactics kept them as a regular front runner for strength and popularity. More then any other house, UoTC was at it's best when it had the right characters leading.

4. Order of the Sable Moon: Often one of the more popular houses and often including some of the best teachers and most well respected role players in the game OoSM made a significant impact on the game despite a belief set that, in my opinion, lacked any real substance. The fact that they typically had people who knew how to make things interesting within their house by regularly engaging in well planned role plays the house stood firmly at the mid-level rankings for game influence. Personally, I always viewed the house (based entirely off a weak beliefs set) as a irrelevant house but as I stated previously, having some very well respected loyal members kept the house afloat when it surely would not have been otherwise.

5. The Gathering of the Entranced: GoE, as anyone that took the time to learn the history (Lyra based back log of Boetheus and Brosh) had the most going for it out of most houses. The extremist illuminated beliefs that believed in multiple planes of existence that all directly effected each other opened the door for so many amazing role plays that by and large just did not happen, which is why it falls so low down my list. By pay of potential, under the right leadership (that only existed for a short time but during such time the house grew to be by far the largest in the game at that time) this house was exciting and during one of the best role plays I recall helped make the illuminated front overpower so much that they were able to aid DoL in closing HC and crippling the Freesouls. Unfortunately, those days were short lived and the house grew into a more passive faction that resorted to preaching beliefs more then engaging in RPs that could have created great in game activity. Never the less, GoE's impressive early days still rank it above the wasted houses.

6. Protectors of Radiance: If ever there was a house in need of radical leader that could have crafted some amazing story lines for all or our entertainment, here lies the biggest example. It's truly a daunting burden for me to recall a "heyday" in my nearly 10 years of playing UL. PoR was just always one of those houses that you always wished you had a extra character to put in that house just to be able to push the envelope of shoving their beliefs down every ones throats. Why didn't anyone ever do anything with this house?

7. Alliance of the Eclipse: Before I go forward I want to first say that I have nothing but respect for a number of you that put forth a lot of effort in making AoE relevant in a game that clearly did not support a passive path. You guys really endured a great deal of frustration I am sure. However, the purpose of this post was to show what houses provided the most for the main stream of the player base and in that category AoE was a real drain on the community. So many angles for AoE that could have pushed it more into relevance though. When I think of the Oracle of ancient Greece I think of a sort of mediator that AoE could have been to all the houses of the city. Not only that angle but so many others that just simply didn't happen or at the least never became public knowledge to many of us. AoE, like so many "free spirits" took more then they gave to the community of the game. Role plays and conflicts based off these role plays was the backbone of UL and disappointingly, I just don't recall AoE adding much to the fabric of the game. Sorry.

Well, that's my list from top to bottom and as I said JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION of what were the best houses to the, least best...? But I must say in closing that I loved the fact that Lyra was able to create all these houses and within the laws of "reality" created these opposing views and conflicts that came naturally and felt organic if you role played your characters properly. I also want to say that if you were in a house I showed a little less appreciation for please don't take it personally. I actually thought that a lot of great role players were in some of the houses that I felt were a waste. That's why I tried to recruit a lot of you away from your respective houses.

Feel free to give me your thoughts as well. Don't hurt me to bad.. Love ya!
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!