Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Houses

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.

Question about the houses.

Poll ended at Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:59 am

Go back old school, with old essence beliefs, FRS and Illuminate, to bring about many different RP options and make the essence arts relevant again.
5%
Go back old school, essence beliefs to bring about many different RP options and make the essence arts relevant again. (without the fight between houses over them, except for River or the GM houses, because I hate wars)
23%
Keep the houses like they are right now.
23%
Allow more houses to open up if players are willing to RP them opening.
36%
Limit the houses and only allow a few to be open, like now.
14%
Other : Email your idea to roleplaying@underlight.com
No votes

Total votes: 22
Koi-Cricket
Directing Producer

Houses

Post by Koi-Cricket »

I was going to discuss the state of the game/houses over the last year since the 100 year reboot. But you all know the concerns that were there. We are just throwing this question out there.

You can vote for several options, if you like more than one.
Directing Producer
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Re: Houses

Post by PKChrisChan »

My only worry with some houses is that it is way too favorable to be neutral. Too many neutral houses/no activity makes for the same issues. The house purpose should be unique in the fact. I remember at one point we had AoE/OoSM/Emergence Academy/Monastery of the Shadow all with literally the same belief structure/playstyle. They were all "studying the dream" but there was no fruitful events to attend or interesting story elements to engage with.

It should be established that "researching the dream" or "being a learning institution " is not criteria enough for a house. The house needs to add something we can work off of. I do not mean conflict either.
Eton
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Eton, Basil

Post by Eton »

PKChrisChan wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:06 pm My only worry with some houses is that it is way too favorable to be neutral. Too many neutral houses/no activity makes for the same issues. The house purpose should be unique in the fact. I remember at one point we had AoE/OoSM/Emergence Academy/Monastery of the Shadow all with literally the same belief structure/playstyle. They were all "studying the dream" but there was no fruitful events to attend or interesting story elements to engage with.

It should be established that "researching the dream" or "being a learning institution " is not criteria enough for a house. The house needs to add something we can work off of. I do not mean conflict either.
Order of the Sable Moon last go round had a lot of story elements to work with, but mostly avoiding drama of the other houses conflicts. The open houses need to do more to stay open this go around I believe.
Koi-Cricket
Directing Producer

Post by Koi-Cricket »

Thanks for your responses

The story was good after the 100 year jump. More players were around because the houses seemed solid and there was a lot of activity going on between them. DoL and HC both at war over house beliefs, and the beliefs brought about a lot of roleplay opportunity as well. There was a lot of political but the story was still there.

Nathan mentioned about conflict. We started strong with the 100 year jump, the war was a lot of fun and conflict legit. But - for some reason players began complaining about wars. So we worked on a new house idea that would give players something to fight and war with. - Less than a couple months later, houses wanted to go to war again. I personally love wars and conflict between houses. Some of the best times were back in Lyra with the DoL vs HC wars. And if that is what the community wants, that is fine. But players changing their minds about what they want constantly makes it really hard to keep balance and consistency in the game.
Directing Producer
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Eton wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:25 am
PKChrisChan wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:06 pm My only worry with some houses is that it is way too favorable to be neutral. Too many neutral houses/no activity makes for the same issues. The house purpose should be unique in the fact. I remember at one point we had AoE/OoSM/Emergence Academy/Monastery of the Shadow all with literally the same belief structure/playstyle. They were all "studying the dream" but there was no fruitful events to attend or interesting story elements to engage with.

Order of the Sable Moon last go round had a lot of story elements to work with, but mostly avoiding drama of the other houses conflicts. The open houses need to do more to stay open this go around I believe.
Yes, the latest execution of the Order was extremely well done. I did find myself very intrigued by those stories I read/heard in game. The OoSM I was referring to was during that time we had four neutral houses opened.
Koi-Cricket
Directing Producer

Post by Koi-Cricket »

I did want to clarify something about the poll. "Bring back old school beliefs" we could include some of SoT's or the other versions beliefs as well.
Directing Producer
Koi-Cryptic
Managing Director

Post by Koi-Cryptic »

This also does not mean that we intend to replace any house that is currently open and active. If players in a house wish to change the direction of a house, you are welcome to roleplay out the changing of beliefs. Majority membership must be on board, and a new charter/belief structure must be submitted for consideration.