Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Why don't you play?

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Why don't you play?

Post by PKChrisChan »

I've been tracking names I see across the forums and guest numbers. It would seem there are a lot of players who still skate the forums even though they don't play.

This isn't to slander anyone....
But why don't you play?
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Re: Why don't you play?

Post by Voxaroth »

I can't play during prime time, and very little happens outside of that window (and what does happen isn't what makes UL fun).

There just comes a point when you're standing waiting, where you realize how many days you've spent just doing nothing.

It becomes a single player game that, by definition, has nothing to offer a single player.

I do like to poke my head in to remember what was the best gaming experience I've ever had, but also recognize that Underlight can never be that game again.

I really do think this type of full-rp combat game could have a niche following by an indie company willing to make it, and hope to one day that you'll all be playing it and introduce me to it.
rWilricson
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Will Ricson

Post by rWilricson »

I can't play during prime time, and very little happens outside of that window (and what does happen isn't what makes UL fun).

There just comes a point when you're standing waiting, where you realize how many days you've spent just doing nothing.

It becomes a single player game that, by definition, has nothing to offer a single player.
that
The Mistress squeezes Will Ricson, a sharp cut smile forms across her face
The Mistress: sssexy and juicey
Synteny: I can't.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

Ok, I detest that lame-ass excuse, sorry... love ya anyway. Here's how it works now (and if you'd play or get in Discord with us, you'd know this...)

STEP 1: YOU want to do something. YOU create a backstory for it. YOU set it up. YOU get the Notice posted and then YOU do something with other people that wish there was something going on.

STEP 2: As a TEACHER, YOU will encourage others to do STEP 1.

~fin~

You can't think of anything to get started to encourage others to play at the times that you do. BAH! YOU would be totally surprised if you actually TRIED STEP 1.

You'll fail, we all do. WE try again and try not to whine too much. Life gets priority and you guys are raising kids, have mortgages etc etc and then there's that nasty word... "Work". I get that. But you can still think. You can think in your traffic jams. Take the earbuds out and think of a play you'd like to do in UL. Take notes, talk to your phones, whatever.... but saying there's nothing going on means you're just leeching off of the efforts of others. Grow a set and put on your thinking cap. Again, said with all the love in the world!

Hugs and kisses, miss you bunches and wish you played more!

~Lacie~
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
PKChrisChan

Post by PKChrisChan »

-Lacie- wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:16 pm Ok, I detest that lame-ass excuse, sorry... love ya anyway. Here's how it works now (and if you'd play or get in Discord with us, you'd know this...)

STEP 1: YOU want to do something. YOU create a backstory for it. YOU set it up. YOU get the Notice posted and then YOU do something with other people that wish there was something going on.

STEP 2: As a TEACHER, YOU will encourage others to do STEP 1.

~fin~

You can't think of anything to get started to encourage others to play at the times that you do. BAH! YOU would be totally surprised if you actually TRIED STEP 1.

You'll fail, we all do. WE try again and try not to whine too much. Life gets priority and you guys are raising kids, have mortgages etc etc and then there's that nasty word... "Work". I get that. But you can still think. You can think in your traffic jams. Take the earbuds out and think of a play you'd like to do in UL. Take notes, talk to your phones, whatever.... but saying there's nothing going on means you're just leeching off of the efforts of others. Grow a set and put on your thinking cap. Again, said with all the love in the world!

Hugs and kisses, miss you bunches and wish you played more!

~Lacie~
While I understand the sentiment with this, this is not the point of the thread. There are very clear reasons as to why the game has died repeatedly and the silent, but curious community offers some incredibly valuable insight as to why this is. Personally, some of us can make fun out of anything with or without a GM present but that was a learned skill. We shouldn’t cycle them into this thinking because truthfully….without some support from others you literally can’t progress. You’re literally grasping at nothing and are stagnant. Also, not all of the members of this community are teachers/dreamsmiths/wordsmiths/rulers/guardians. They can NOT impact the environment as well without these tools as these all require player/GM coordination. Playing outside of the peak times makes this exponentially more difficult.

That leads me to my next point, that we are all need to support one another in some way. These problems were masked by high population. Too many people think that there's a cause-and-effect in which philosophy and/or design changes to the game make the game worse because they push it farther from "the good ol' days." Those days are gone. The goodness thereof was caused by a high server population and an active playerbase, not because of your roleplays, friendships, storylines and whatever.
High population masks problems, it does not solve them. We need to address these problems here and now and reign the game in for a design/cultural overhaul. Really, we only need 100 active players to make this community feel populated not a thousand! Is that not a reasonable goal?

That being said, I’m thankful for players’ like: Sorsha, Purple Lace, Synteny, Cianne, Coraal(Pre-AoE), Lu Chaos, LadySilver who gave my character’s chances, embraced my ideas, and heard me out even though I wasn’t a popular character from previous versions of UL. I will say it outright, I would have left in under a month from this community if it wasn’t for them. I do not have a robust history with this game and the same relationships/influence that you all have.

There are quite a few members of this community who come, are ignored and disappear because they aren’t given a chance or shown how fun things can be. I want to hear these perspectives as to why they will not play because any new potential player will have the same experience.
Dina

Post by Dina »

PKChrisChan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm There are quite a few members of this community who come, are ignored and disappear because they aren’t given a chance or shown how fun things can be. I want to hear these perspectives as to why they will not play because any new potential player will have the same experience.
That or they are like me: lazy and don't want to do the work they used to do many years ago. We all have lives and work, etc...we don't want to work in a game that takes months of work to do. When I was younger, hell yeah! Now that I am old and have been through some really hard times in my life, I don't have the motivation anymore. Dina will never see 8th sphere because of this and that alone exhausts me to the point where I just don't try anymore.
Erasmus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Erasmus

Post by Erasmus »

So I'll bite.

I, too, cannot play during prime time pretty much ever. I used to be able to squeeze some time in during the evenings and still can, but most stuff seems to happen from 7pm to 10pm pst and I'm in bed well before that on most days.

I do login almost every single day or at worst every other day, but most of the time I'm the only one online. There are a few occasions where there may be one other, and if I'm lucky two others. So when that happens, I'll sit in Thresh for a little hoping that they see Thresh on sense and stop by, but I've been burned too many times running to where they are only for them to wake. Lazy of me? Sure, I can accept that, but I also accept that as my fate for odd play times. And just for those that are curious, I'm up at 1am pst getting my kids ready for school and getting myself ready for work, so I'm in bed before 7pm pst most nights. It isn't just UL that I don't play at night, it's most games.

This hasn't been as much of an issue until very recently. Now with the population so critically low, there is never anyone around when I am. Before summer started, I'd see more people and would go interact. There's no one to interact with anymore.

And to mention Lace's point about creating a RP. With who? Whenever I do see others, it's usually the same one or two others. Never anyone else. I don't want to just sit there and wait for who knows how long just to never see anyone. It's a waste of time. For my character especially, because of the way I roleplay him (and yes, I get it, it's my choice) there is no mechanic in place for him to advance because he doesn't hunt. I mentioned to Koi a way to help with this for pacifists or non violent types, so we'll see if anything comes of it, but without devs or limited devs, I doubt it's a high priority if at all. And I'm not mad about it and wouldn't expect Koi to make something just to give me and players like me something to do or some way to advance, it's our choice to pigeon hole ourselves.

So that's it. Can't play when others do, no one to interact with, and nothing to really do to advance my character when no one is around in order for me to pass the time and still make progress.

That's my $. 02 for what it's worth.
Shae
Dreamer

Post by Shae »

I had some rough times, personally, so I didn't get to play. Now I feel that if I hopped back in, I'd be SO far behind in the storyline, that it would take a month just to get caught up. I do find, also, that a lot of SoT people do not play, and that truly makes me feel bad. I miss all my old friends in/out of game. I do not like political agendas and fighting, and that is how the Lyrans played, and that is the story arc that has moved into this version, as well (which is FINE! I'm not complaining! It just isn't my gig). I enjoy creating and planesmithing, which hasn't been much of an option on the dev side for obvious reasons- there are more important things at stake! Bags need to be larger, also, or room for storage, again. I guess that is how I 'grew up' in game, and so, trying to convert to a 50 item bag is difficult for me. I know. I'm needy. But those are the reasons why. Mostly the creative stuff and missing my friends stuff. I honestly can't say anything bad about the game or players- it's just gone in a different direction that what I enjoy. xoxo
Where are all the GateKeepers?!
Braelynn
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sidari Kai

Post by Braelynn »

For me, Underlight has run it's course. After having spent the last few years on the GM team, good times and bad, it's left a bad taste in my mouth. That and my reason for playing passed away, so I literally have 0 desire to play. I hang around in Discord because I have a few friends that I've made from the game that I like to be around.. Blade, Flower, Tember, Jerulan, Sidas, dina, etc. Since Jared is gone, those are my reasons for sticking around, at least the OOC chat.
Owner of the infamous Night Dress and WishBringer's heart
Janus
Dreamer

Post by Janus »

Just my hot takes...

Timing: some people play at hours that I can't. Seasonal issues. Work stuff. Just life. This is a natural thing and, if we had more players, wouldn't really be a problem. But this doesn't explain why we can't keep seasoned players.

Cliques: this has driven more players out of the game than anything. UL is very much a social game and it is designed to be so... within the client. I think this game has become something like tables in a high school cafeteria. You could say these social cliques were induced by in-character House/social politics, but I don't believe that.

Many players coordinate with their friends through OOC means. I have no issue with that. But the game is played in the client where there are plenty of IC methods for coordination. The 'culture' of the game has evolved to the point that using out of client communication (Discord) is implicit to playing. This is not healthy.

We've suffered a significant loss to the community to be sure. Still, I believe the game still has real value in creating experiences that can be fun for everyone. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't play... but I do.

All that said, I value (maybe even love) each and every one of you and wish you the best. I'm going to keep playing and hope to see you in the game.
TWKakaTaylor
Dreamer

Post by TWKakaTaylor »

I'm in the same boat as stated by most people that have replied.

Being in the military doesn't really provide a consistent time that I can play and I've been stuck on this horrid rotation of being home for a year and deployed for a year.

It is the memories and Nostalgia that keeps me around though. Sometime I just hope to run into old friends that find there way back. The greatest part of Underlight was the relationships and friends you ended up building by just playing the game. I often wonder how some of the people I became friends with back than are doing now. Having started playing at age 16 Underlight definitely had a huge impact on my life back then. "not to mention I was super addicted ;)" I used to Email some of them but over time most those email address have gone dark.

Joshua Taylor
The Wizard King
Leolus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Restel

Post by Leolus »

Rose colored glasses cause a return every once in a while for me. Then I end up off grid for a few months due to IRL commitments and by the time I return it's time to start over and hope I can pick up any pieces progress. Usually the pieces are just that and the process repeats. After a certain point the returns come down to just social interactions in a bare bones player base game.

I can spend 2-3 hours a night accomplishing very little and this feels like the norm rather than the exception. I know the answer to this is normally "make something happen then" but frankly I'm just not motivated to spend limited time trying to drag a couple of people who are participating just because it's someone else's task. Everyone's trying to schedule task events on the forums and check off the boxes for those tasks. We've codified sphere task requirements in the name of fair play but have lost some of the magic along the way. Yes yes, make it interesting etc. Everyone's done the same iterations of the same things. How many "focus your element now!" ceremonies have you attended? I'm guilty of this. It's stale. Do I have a solution to this? In an implementable way? No. It requires good will and a lack of bad actors for it to work that not tenable.

I admire those who are willing to put in the time and effort to pull together a fun community but it feels hostile to returning and new players. You walk in and stumble into this community with characters that have decades of interactions with each other. You set something up and it gets trounced over by someone else's RP. I remember Lu Chaos going off about the mare army invading and the response in the room was he's just doing his sphere task, let him throw his tantrum. How long does it take a new player to gain a power level comparable to some of the older dreamers? Is that achievable? I realize the older player base wants newer people to work for their abilities as a form of payment but the debt is a vertical wall. Consider how long it will take a brand new dreamer to stop getting one shot in a fight and consider if you'd climb that wall yourself today. Some of you have, I think most of us won't.

I've wondered from the question and started addressing new dreamer stuff mainly because I play games with a core group of 5-6 people. I'd rather play games with them but UL isn't going to be palatable to a few. The others would quit to play other games while standing around waiting to turn in a task. If the answer to these problems is work harder at it, be more diligent at the game, then that's going to severely limit the wider appeal. I think to some extent that's actually what the community wants.
~Restel
~Bane
PKChrisChan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Thank you everyone it's good to know that you all are still around and care enough to post. I hope that Koi takes these in for some perspective so we can move forward with the game! There is so much passion behind all of these words.

Thanks
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

Shae wrote:
I do not like political agendas and fighting, and that is how the Lyrans played, and that is the story arc that has moved into this version, as well (which is FINE! I'm not complaining! It just isn't my gig). I enjoy creating and planesmithing, which hasn't been much of an option on the dev side for obvious reasons- there are more important things at stake!

Just to politely disagree, m'friend... but the Bastion has been doing quite a bit of planesmithing, so has the Kabal and the PA, as well as the Order, and Calenture has been working very hard on EverNight lately! The storyline may be a bit lacking still, but they're working on that, and what the players are doing have more to do with building and less to do with politics, as of late.... and now you're all caught up! :D

I truly get the left-behind, out of the loop feeling, but there's not that much to catch up on.

Just trying to reassure and help you feel that you would fit in. I truly LOVE interacting with that lil shit, Shae!

Miss ya!

~L~
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Wolfgar
Dreamer

Post by Wolfgar »

Shae wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:12 pm I had some rough times, personally, so I didn't get to play. Now I feel that if I hopped back in, I'd be SO far behind in the storyline, that it would take a month just to get caught up. I do find, also, that a lot of SoT people do not play, and that truly makes me feel bad. I miss all my old friends in/out of game. I do not like political agendas and fighting, and that is how the Lyrans played, and that is the story arc that has moved into this version, as well (which is FINE! I'm not complaining! It just isn't my gig). I enjoy creating and planesmithing, which hasn't been much of an option on the dev side for obvious reasons- there are more important things at stake! Bags need to be larger, also, or room for storage, again. I guess that is how I 'grew up' in game, and so, trying to convert to a 50 item bag is difficult for me. I know. I'm needy. But those are the reasons why. Mostly the creative stuff and missing my friends stuff. I honestly can't say anything bad about the game or players- it's just gone in a different direction that what I enjoy. xoxo

Gnome....
Dina

Post by Dina »

Braelynn wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:25 pm For me, Underlight has run it's course. After having spent the last few years on the GM team, good times and bad, it's left a bad taste in my mouth. That and my reason for playing passed away, so I literally have 0 desire to play. I hang around in Discord because I have a few friends that I've made from the game that I like to be around.. Blade, Flower, Tember, Jerulan, Sidas, dina, etc. Since Jared is gone, those are my reasons for sticking around, at least the OOC chat.
I <3 you Brae Brae!
Dina

Post by Dina »

Shae wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:12 pm I had some rough times, personally, so I didn't get to play. Now I feel that if I hopped back in, I'd be SO far behind in the storyline, that it would take a month just to get caught up. I do find, also, that a lot of SoT people do not play, and that truly makes me feel bad. I miss all my old friends in/out of game. I do not like political agendas and fighting, and that is how the Lyrans played, and that is the story arc that has moved into this version, as well (which is FINE! I'm not complaining! It just isn't my gig). I enjoy creating and planesmithing, which hasn't been much of an option on the dev side for obvious reasons- there are more important things at stake! Bags need to be larger, also, or room for storage, again. I guess that is how I 'grew up' in game, and so, trying to convert to a 50 item bag is difficult for me. I know. I'm needy. But those are the reasons why. Mostly the creative stuff and missing my friends stuff. I honestly can't say anything bad about the game or players- it's just gone in a different direction that what I enjoy. xoxo
Hey now chikkypoo, there are a few of us from SoT that do play! Jade, Dina, Em'et, Nathan (you're from SoT right?), Krodoc when the wind is blowing up his butt, Anyasha when the wind blows up her butt, same with Delosian!

Lace is right, the Bastion has been doing a lot of smithing and crafting, same with the other houses. Boring stuff to me! There really hasn't been any fighting except with some mares. Shae is an SM lol, she can hide in sanc and heal!

Howeverrrrrrr, I do understand the rough times. This year has been pretty rough on me too and most of you know why. It is still rough and wont get any easier for a long time, if ever. I do like to go in to get away from real life. It has helped me out a lot actually. I've even came to the conclusion to only really complain about the names in discord! Crazy huh? I just go with the flow now.

Btw, there is nothing you would be behind on lol except to know what houses are open. None are even at war! BORINGGGGGGG
fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)
Character Name(s): Stormy

Post by fancypearl »

Koi-Lupine

Post by Koi-Lupine »

fancypearl wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 pm Because college..
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 163756.jpg
int main() {
for (int i = 0; i < 1; i++) {
cout << "Your professor has bad handwriting\n";
}

return 0;
}
fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)

Post by fancypearl »

lmao that's my writing.. it gets changed as things get done, .. things added removed. lol
feelling less and less like ... learning more and more like gotta cram to pass the next quiz heh.
fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)

Post by fancypearl »

Koi-Lupine wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:34 am
fancypearl wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 pm Because college..
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 163756.jpg
int main() {
for (int i = 0; i < 1; i++) {
cout << "Your professor has bad handwriting\n";
}

return 0;
}
here you go lupine..

Code: Select all

#include <string>
#include <iostream>

int main()
    {
    char choice;
    bool done = false;
    std::string yes_its_done = "Yay, move on to next homework.\nwait to be assigned more";
    std::string no_its_not = "Keep working, you got this, it's organised.";
    std::string little_brain = "Go play something de-stressing like mitosis, fist full of frags, stare at pretties in skyrim.\nponder staring mindlessly at water in underlight,\nmaybe sleep a little? if not keep working";
    std::string no_brain = "Go watch netflix, hulu, or amazon, probably should go to bed\nwhat time is it?";
    std::string destress_time;
    std::string netflix_or_game;
    char is_homework_done;

while(!done)
        {
        std::cout << "\n\nIs homework done? (Y/N)" << "\n";
        std::cin >> is_homework_done;
        switch(is_homework_done)
           {
            case 'y':
            case 'Y':
            std::cout << yes_its_done << "\n";
            done = true;
            break;

default:
            std::cout << no_its_not << "\n";
            break;
            }

std::cout << "\n\nAre you trying to destress?" << "\n";
        std::cin >> destress_time;
        if (destress_time == "Yes" || destress_time == "yes" || destress_time == "YES" || destress_time == "y" || destress_time == "Y")
            {
            std::cout << "how much brain is left? (none | little)" << "\n";
            std::cin >> netflix_or_game;
            if (netflix_or_game == "none")
                {
                std::cout << no_brain << "\n";
                }
                else if (netflix_or_game == "little")
                    {
                    std::cout << little_brain << "\n";
                    }
            else
                {
                std::cout << "\n\nGO TO BED" << "\n";
                }
            }
        }
return 0;
}
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Post by Yuritau »

This nails it on the head. Whenever I'm not playing Underlight, this is why.
Leolus wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 am I can spend 2-3 hours a night accomplishing very little and this feels like the norm rather than the exception. I know the answer to this is normally "make something happen then" but frankly I'm just not motivated to spend limited time trying to drag a couple of people who are participating just because it's someone else's task. Everyone's trying to schedule task events on the forums and check off the boxes for those tasks. We've codified sphere task requirements in the name of fair play but have lost some of the magic along the way. Yes yes, make it interesting etc. Everyone's done the same iterations of the same things. How many "focus your element now!" ceremonies have you attended? I'm guilty of this. It's stale. Do I have a solution to this? In an implementable way? No. It requires good will and a lack of bad actors for it to work that not tenable.
I'm currently back to playing, but I've found out that sphere requirements are still largely the same as they've been for a while now, so that's unfortunately going to mean that my current return has an expiration date. I will be around for a while, I will participate in things, and I will work on some advancement for my character(s), but sooner or later I'll run into the asinine "hold X public events" for a sphere task, and I'll just lose interest again. This idea that a task for a higher sphere MUST mean public events is the single most stagnant idea in Underlight, and the one reason why I can never recommend this game to my gamer friends, cause they will react the same way I do to it.
Xan
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Xanthicus

Post by Xan »

It was taking up way to much of my RL time.

But the kicker was:

The Sphereing scheme is stupid. One has to run a gamut of tasks, prove this, do that, as stated above, hold an event.

I tend to play as a citizen, not as a powerplayer trying to get higher levels ASAP. You can guess the problems this creates.

Teaching really should have an option to advance known true acting citizens beyond the teaching metrics.

I miss you all.
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

Two years ago I started an online business which I ran for a little over a year, and due to the lack of interest I had in that particular niche and high competition, I shut it down to start a new business. I've been working on that for the past 8-9 months now and I hope to share it with you all when it launches in 2-4 months time. Due to the amount of dedication required for this, I haven't been able to justify video games. There are times when it gets very stressful, and so I take time out to decompress with video games. I am currently traveling, and I log on when I've got time to kill or feeling homesick. <3
Techgeist
Dreamer

Post by Techgeist »

Member of the group of players who spend the majority of their time crapping in the apple pie asking why no one wants to eat a slice.