Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Jared/Synteny

Braelynn
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sidari Kai

Jared/Synteny

Post by Braelynn »

This is not something that in my entire lifetime, I ever thought I would have to say, or write, or even think about.

Last evening, around 7 pm, Jared Rose (Synteny) passed from this life to the next surrounded by his family.

While the details are still unclear on why this illness that is still undetermined took him so fast, I wanted to share this with the people who knew him, and loved him. This is where I met him, so it is only fitting that I conclude it at the place where I met my best friend in the entire world.

I have so much I want to say, but I can't get myself to say it yet, but I wanted to let the community that he loved so much being a part of know so that they may grieve and share anything about him. He was one of the best, and there's a big void in my heart and life that will never be filled.
Owner of the infamous Night Dress and WishBringer's heart
SONYA
Dreamer
Character Name(s): SONYA

Re: Jared/Synteny

Post by SONYA »

Sad times,

Any dreamer that has dreamed has probably met or heard of Synteny. He could liven up a room with his shenanigans and when I interacted with him I enjoyed every minute of it. He definitely had a beautiful soul that refused to go unnoticed. I haven’t seen or talk to him in a very, very long time but it is really sad to know he is gone from this earth. However! Where ever he has gone, I am sure that he will be as well known and loved as this community loved him. Sweet dreams Syn, you will be missed.
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

Jared was a brilliant guy, a superb creative mind, and a friend.

He will be missed inside and out of our community. :cry:
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

For someone who usually finds the right words.... I am at a complete loss.

Patience of a saint. Creativity to be envied. The cojones to stand up to Lacie. Great sense of humor. A dear friend.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Gone too soon.... NEVER forgotten.

Lacie
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Starling
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Starling

Post by Starling »

Oh, Jared.

You always made me laugh. You always had such a kind heart and a creative spirit. The world really lost a good one. I will miss our silly banter and I know that where ever you are in your next life, you’re most likely making someone else laugh. We are all so fortunate for having known you in any capacity.

Much love,
Bee_12
Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world. The disarray. I choose to see the beauty. To believe there is an order to our days, a purpose.
Gorgunsun
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Gorgunsun, Gromnir

Post by Gorgunsun »

One of gor's first mentors. I'll miss you pal. I wish I could play but my PC died. One of the greatest ever was Jared.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

I have many UL memories of Synteny/Veltis. The City of Dreams is weaker with his absence.

To quote Lace "NEVER forgotten"
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Dina

Post by Dina »

So sorry to hear this news. We may not have gotten along much, but it still saddens me that he lost his life at such a young age. Thoughts and prayers are being said for his friends and family.
Braelynn
Dreamer

Post by Braelynn »

Koi-Palloi
Senior GameMaster

Post by Koi-Palloi »

Was thinking on this for a while, and I've interacted with Jared/Syn for something like 12 years? Certainly more than many RL friends.

I have immense respect for his work and dedication to Underlight, as well as his general intellect and creativity. He was a truly brilliant mind and a kind heart. We tended to agree and disagree in equal measure, both RL and in-game, and I look back on him with great fondness. His character Synteny (to say nothing of his innumerable GM roles) was absolutely integral to the entire Underlight experience and there is simply no replacing him.

Here's hoping he has some peace on the other side of the portal.
Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity. Khalil Gibran
Koi-Cricket
Directing Producer

Post by Koi-Cricket »

There are never the right words when these kind of things happen, only to say that I am sorry for this horrible loss.

I know he was the closest friend to you Joey, and I am sorry that there is nothing that can take this kind of pain away.

There is still a deep shock and sadness, but a lot of laughs and good times to remember. Keep holding on to those good times, and keepsakes, because they can last forever.
Directing Producer
Koi-Wish
Founder

Post by Koi-Wish »

As the days past there were a hundred times I started to write something, and a hundred times I didn't know how to say it right. When the news hit me, we were in the middle of Koi meeting, talking about moving forward and putting the pieces together. There was excitement and hopefulness in the air and then it was completely deflated. No longer was what we are doing important anymore, it was trivial in the grand scheme of things... it's just a game, and a life is so much more important then this silly game. But as I was reading some of Joey's posts and a few from others in the community either here or in FaceBook it occurred to me, it isn't just a game... its a micro-world where absolutely wonderful relationships have spawned. Some folks have met and married, others have become just friends and others best of friends for all time. It was important to them, Joey and Jared would never have been best friends had it not been for the City, a starting place for a friendship that spanned nearly two decades all started in the threshold of a silly game. A few couples wouldn't have married. A few folks wouldn't have met at DreamCons and had memories to last a lifetime. UnderLight was important to Jared, it gave birth to a happiness thru a best friend and many other friends over the years. Him and many others created the foundation of this game, and helped maintain its portals for many years, we owe them a debt a gratitude and to continue on. On a personal note, Jared and I didn't always see eye to eye, but he got me, and he understood what it was I was trying to do, even if we may have disagreed on how it was done. We had many conversations about the future, holding onto what made UnderLight great and managing into the future. I respected his opinions and him as a player and leader within our little world. I did not know him nearly as well outside of our interactions about UL, but I knew enough to know he could find a way to laugh at the world and brush off negativity with a sly remark, but was still humble enough to have an intelligent and guiding conversation. We have lost many dreamers over the years, and beyond that the world has lost a number of good people that we have all known. Jared was one of the good ones, and we and the entire world is a lesser place without him.

~Brian
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

Rest in peace Syn, you will be missed. :(
Braelynn
Dreamer

Post by Braelynn »

Allow me to ramble a little bit. It's been a rough last few weeks and I've reached a place where I can comfortably talk about Jared without turning into a blubbering, disgusting mess.

I first met Jared in Underlight when I first started playing in 2000. I recall it clearly, when I walked into a room in Threshold... he was offended because I didn't say hello to him. After that, we started talking in IRC and all bets were off. It was clear we had so much in common with our personal lives.. anxieties, depressions, everything else. We talked for HOURS. I remember the day I changed Brae's red dress to a blue one. A bunch of us were standing up at the POR facade.. mare fight? House fight? I don't remember. Synteny walked into the room and SHOUTED from the other side, "Hey Brae, you're hot. I like your night dress." And thus, the epic Night Dress was born. However, it really didn't make it into the game as a staple of my avatar's existence until the development of "Na Zap". Some of you may remember "Tales for the Leet", a flash video made with the up and coming "Leetspeak". Jared and I thought it was SO f-ing funny that we called each other and synchronized it, to watch it repeatedly and die of laughter. Good times.

Anyway, Na Zap was a flash video Jared made, a maren talkshow offshoot of "The View". It starred him and I (Synteny and Braelynn) and we'd talk about shit in Leet. It was here the night dress was born and dragged into game.. "Hey brae ur hot is that ur nite dress" ... that was it. For 18 solid years, any of our characters we ever made in any game we ever played.. it was "hey ur hot is that ur nite jedi" or "hey ur hot is that ur nite priest" ... because of this we had a language we made up and every single day, up until 4 days before he died, we spoke it to each other.

Every day: "wat r u due". It's been rough not to be able to say it now.

This is just a small, little glimpse into our world. I could go on for HOURS.

Games aside...

I spent the last 18 years having someone outside of my household to talk to just about every day. All the firsts in my kids' lives - including my youngest daughter (who is now 22) first day of Kindergarten, I shared with him. He knew more about me than anyone else. He knew all my dirty secrets and everything else in my life, as I knew his. We played games together and laughed so hard sometimes we almost passed out. We sent Christmas presents, cards, letters, and birthday stuff to each other. And we never once came face to face, which will always be one of my regrets. "No RAGRETS kthxbye" I can hear him say. We'd always randomly say the same things to each other, out of the blue, and that always freaked us out. There are things I see online and Facebook and other places that I find so damn funny, and that I know only he would find funny, and it kills me to not be able to share that with him anymore. Every day, about 1000 times a day, I think about him and have so much to tell him. And now I can only tell him in my head, and that's a lot of stuff to keep inside.

He was a constant presence in my life and I really do feel empty without him there. I met him here, and a lot of people knew him here, and it's comforting to be able to share it with those who knew him and loved him. He was my ultimate sidekick, I'm sure we annoyed people and pissed people off... but we didn't care then, and don't care now. He was literally one half of myself, the male version of me, and it's a bitter pill to swallow that he's not here anymore. I'm angry, I'm pissed, I'm heartbroken, and I'm sad, and I'm 1000 other things that I can't put into words over this loss.

Thanks for letting me ramble. For now, the rest of my memories of Jared/Synteny/every other incarnation of anything we ever played will now reside in my heart. He could never be replaced, he was the best of the best there is and was. <3
TWKakaTaylor
Dreamer

Post by TWKakaTaylor »

Braelynn wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 am Allow me to ramble a little bit. It's been a rough last few weeks and I've reached a place where I can comfortably talk about Jared without turning into a blubbering, disgusting mess.

I first met Jared in Underlight when I first started playing in 2000. I recall it clearly, when I walked into a room in Threshold... he was offended because I didn't say hello to him. After that, we started talking in IRC and all bets were off. It was clear we had so much in common with our personal lives.. anxieties, depressions, everything else. We talked for HOURS. I remember the day I changed Brae's red dress to a blue one. A bunch of us were standing up at the POR facade.. mare fight? House fight? I don't remember. Synteny walked into the room and SHOUTED from the other side, "Hey Brae, you're hot. I like your night dress." And thus, the epic Night Dress was born. However, it really didn't make it into the game as a staple of my avatar's existence until the development of "Na Zap". Some of you may remember "Tales for the Leet", a flash video made with the up and coming "Leetspeak". Jared and I thought it was SO f-ing funny that we called each other and synchronized it, to watch it repeatedly and die of laughter. Good times.

Anyway, Na Zap was a flash video Jared made, a maren talkshow offshoot of "The View". It starred him and I (Synteny and Braelynn) and we'd talk about shit in Leet. It was here the night dress was born and dragged into game.. "Hey brae ur hot is that ur nite dress" ... that was it. For 18 solid years, any of our characters we ever made in any game we ever played.. it was "hey ur hot is that ur nite jedi" or "hey ur hot is that ur nite priest" ... because of this we had a language we made up and every single day, up until 4 days before he died, we spoke it to each other.

Every day: "wat r u due". It's been rough not to be able to say it now.

This is just a small, little glimpse into our world. I could go on for HOURS.

Games aside...

I spent the last 18 years having someone outside of my household to talk to just about every day. All the firsts in my kids' lives - including my youngest daughter (who is now 22) first day of Kindergarten, I shared with him. He knew more about me than anyone else. He knew all my dirty secrets and everything else in my life, as I knew his. We played games together and laughed so hard sometimes we almost passed out. We sent Christmas presents, cards, letters, and birthday stuff to each other. And we never once came face to face, which will always be one of my regrets. "No RAGRETS kthxbye" I can hear him say. We'd always randomly say the same things to each other, out of the blue, and that always freaked us out. There are things I see online and Facebook and other places that I find so damn funny, and that I know only he would find funny, and it kills me to not be able to share that with him anymore. Every day, about 1000 times a day, I think about him and have so much to tell him. And now I can only tell him in my head, and that's a lot of stuff to keep inside.

He was a constant presence in my life and I really do feel empty without him there. I met him here, and a lot of people knew him here, and it's comforting to be able to share it with those who knew him and loved him. He was my ultimate sidekick, I'm sure we annoyed people and pissed people off... but we didn't care then, and don't care now. He was literally one half of myself, the male version of me, and it's a bitter pill to swallow that he's not here anymore. I'm angry, I'm pissed, I'm heartbroken, and I'm sad, and I'm 1000 other things that I can't put into words over this loss.

Thanks for letting me ramble. For now, the rest of my memories of Jared/Synteny/every other incarnation of anything we ever played will now reside in my heart. He could never be replaced, he was the best of the best there is and was. <3
This post makes me want to reach through this screen and give you a HUGE hug. some people in life are Irreplaceable, Sorry you had to lose such a close friend. I'll be sure to include you in my prayers.
Fireball
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Countless hours talking and playing with Jared in game and otherwise... I'm at a loss. There's always this idea that whenever I go back to UL or Discord some of the old peoples will still be there, he being one of them. :cry:

Miss him, and miss you too Brae.