Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Alt Characters

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Alt Characters

Post by Cherokee »

Tonight, I was just informed that I could not have more than one of my characters in the same house. I was not aware of such a rule. I was directed to this post, where at the bottom it made a mention to it, but at the beginning it states "For a house to remain open":

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4660
For a house to remain open--
A house requires 6 active single crested members to remain open. Active is defined as having logged in within the last 15 days.
If membership falls below 6, the house will close within 24 hours.
A house cannot have more than 1 character from the same OOC player.

Reading that, it sounds like alts are not counted toward the required membership amount. Now that would be a rule I'd agree with, as anyone could just flood their house with alts to keep it open. I was under the impression that having alts in different houses was more risky for OOC crossover. So my question is why was this rule implemented and can it be changed?
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Re: Alt Characters

Post by Uthanatos »

Having multiple characters in the same house would allow one person to exert undue pressure on the house's goals and objectives. Essentially allowing them to vote twice for whatever they wanted to happen. That sort of thing.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

People with zero ability to rp properly perhaps. Anyone who does that isn't understanding a key element of role-playing and need to be singled out and educated.
Additionally having alts in opposing houses seems far, far more likely to be abused.

Perhaps simply monitoring such votes would suffice, and would also be a key method to root out such players.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Harkyn

Post by Harkyn »

Was someone doing that the reason for this change? If that is the worry, you could just as easily have someone's alt in another house "vote" for something that benefited their main.
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

Yeah this rule doesn't make sense to me either. Seems like there's much more opportunity to abuse with charas in different houses, for example moving items back and forth in the vaults and info crossover. As far as voting goes, most house votes are among leadership and there was already a rule about not having more than one character in a ranked position so not really getting the point of this. Maybe limiting it to two per house so a house doesn't remain open for two players four charas to occupy should be a thing?
Riggs
Dreamer

Post by Riggs »

I wouldn’t have a problem with alts sharing the same house. I see the reason for the rule, but with most things, it’s really in the hands of the players how they *choose* to play the game.

It makes me think of my two chars - Vamp and DE. Vampyro is currently the Advisor of EA and DE was a long time ruler of GoE. Same house, plane, similar beliefs, and while I have no intention to join EA as DE, I would hate to think I wouldn’t even be *allowed* to do it on down the road as our stories get written (and have that *choice* taken away from me).

I’ve seen much more crossover with alts in different, conflicting Houses in the past, but either way you slice it - rule or not - the threat for crossover will always be there.

BA
Koi-Drama
Founder

Post by Koi-Drama »

Cherokee wrote:Tonight, I was just informed that I could not have more than one of my characters in the same house. I was not aware of such a rule. I was directed to this post, where at the bottom it made a mention to it, but at the beginning it states "For a house to remain open":

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4660
For a house to remain open--
A house requires 6 active single crested members to remain open. Active is defined as having logged in within the last 15 days.
If membership falls below 6, the house will close within 24 hours.
A house cannot have more than 1 character from the same OOC player.

Reading that, it sounds like alts are not counted toward the required membership amount. Now that would be a rule I'd agree with, as anyone could just flood their house with alts to keep it open. I was under the impression that having alts in different houses was more risky for OOC crossover. So my question is why was this rule implemented and can it be changed?
We seek to clear up any confusion that may be present in this matter and provide clarity as we move forward. The rule was put into motion in early January after much deliberation by the In-Game Support staff after several questionable actions were brought to our attention. Moreover, please be advised that you are not the first individual we have approached about this and therefore a precedence was already set into motion.

The guidelines clearly state the following requirements are needed to and adhere to which includes the specifics of membership, the continuity of the guild and its requirements for closure, and additional note that alternate/secondary characters of an individual player cannot join the same house. We can consider an alternative strategy but in the meanwhile, this debate will not circumvent established rules until notice is given otherwise.

Dual crests are NOT counted as listed above. Alternate/Secondary characters of individual players are NOT allowed in the same house as any other primary/secondary character. In other words, one character per house per controller.

I hope this clears up any miscommunication. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email listed here.
“I try to bring the audience's own drama, tears and laughter they know about, to them.”