Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Whispers

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Whispers

Post by Tember »

Is it really fair for a GM character to be reading master logs and hearing whispers to use against a character that is whispering? Sometimes private things are said in whispers and how embarrassing and just weird it is to know that there are people reading your private things.

I understand about a God mode character, but to this extent? Shouldn’t there be limits set in place? Like, how can an invulnerable GM even be defeated? Its not against the rules for a GM to take over a single house? like, where are the safe zones in the game now? Will sanctuaries be compromised next?

23:44:31: You whisper to Turvy: He's weird.
23:44:40: >Turvy whispers something to Entropy
23:44:44: You whisper to Turvy: I don't think he's all there.
23:44:48: Eldryck Venym: How would you like it, if I called you weird?
23:44:52: Eldryck Venym: I am very much all here.
Last edited by Tember on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarleyofCienn

Re: Whispers

Post by HarleyofCienn »

Omg I know how you feel it's been done to me too. During the mace recovery rp in the palisade silk was repeating my whispers and I'll be honest it felt violating. I was very careful about what I whisper and even just say from then on around him and just in general. Felt and still feel like at times I have zero privacy so if I don't want something I say heard by more than the person I'm saying it to I don't say it, not ig at least. Kinda sucks :/
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

Well... The two characters you said that heard your whispers are basically god characters. Except Eldryck is controlled by the Mace. So they would have access to your whispers automatically. IJS

As for the house take over.. Lol ill leave that to the Koi team. However Eldryck is the Master of the fear factor.. So id say this was apart of that RP. You know?
Turvy
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Turvy

Post by Turvy »

No, neither of them are gods, Lu. Silk is a master creator and the other is a mad Dreamstriker that supposedly has his own Master he serves from the Mace. While Eldryck is in god-mode and should be difficult to combat, he shouldn’t be all knowing and completely impossible.

I remember we were told from the very beginning of this version that we had privacy when it came to this - that master logs could only be accessed by one or two people and ONLY to investigate something reported or suspicious.

Not only is it violating on an ooc level, but it’s extreme ic as well. No matter how bad an evil character is, there should always be room to defeat him. He has to have a kryptonite. How is it even possible to plot against something that can hear whispers? Are we to assume he can hear when he’s in another room as well?
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Tember wrote: I understand about a God mode character, but to this extent? Shouldn’t there be limits set in place? Like, how can an invulnerable GM even be defeated? Its not against the rules for a GM to take over a single house? like, where are the safe zones in the game now? Will sanctuaries be compromised next?
I think you're starting to understand here. I mean Eldryck is terrifying, seems to really be the basic principle of the character. I mean if he doesn't inspire terror, if you feel safe, then he's not doing his job. I love this RP for the very fact that Uthy has been terrified with no reprieve, even in sanctuaries he's checking his locate, watching sense, wearing recall to a different sanctuary. It's been an emotional roller coaster ride for a lot of characters. There are a lot of ideas going around in game as to how to weaken or defeat him, and he has a noticeable weakness in Prat Asti. So, weaknesses are there.

Ü
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
rWilricson
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Will Ricson

Post by rWilricson »

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand whispers. The sounds are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of listening most of the words will go over a typical person's head. There’s also Kendryck's godlike state of being, which is deftly woven into his characterization- his power draws heavily from the mace, for instance. The God GMs understand whispers; they have the intellectual capacity to listen really carefully and make out the words, to understand what people are saying which says something about everyone else.. As a consequence people who dislike not having privacy truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the realism in the fact that God GMs can understand whispers which is in and of itself a reference to real life. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those paddled simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Silk Nuvas' genius wit unfolds itself in front of their eyes as he remarks on something they thought he couldn't hear. What fools.. how I pity them. And yes, by the way, I DO have a Silk Nuvas tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they can understand whispers as well as (or prefferably slightly worse than) God GMs. Nothin personnel kid
The Mistress squeezes Will Ricson, a sharp cut smile forms across her face
The Mistress: sssexy and juicey
Synteny: I can't.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

Well to be fair, I dont think Eldryck hears your whispers, maybe it's the Mace? Silk isnt just a Master Creator by the way, Silk is a God character. You should do some in game Silk research lol.
Rasputin
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

I agree that GMs reading our whispers or things said privately to a single other person in a remote room feels like an invasion of privacy and something I thought the GMs had said in the past they wouldn't do.

Side note, Santuaries aren't safe anymore. Eldryck has been known to teleport dreamers out of Santuaries and has struck at least one dreamer this way, though she was released from the Mace almost immediately.
--Rasputin
FreeSpirit
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

I like the whole idea. Hope that puts it simply enough for you people.

~L~
Last edited by -Lacie- on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

Looks like some of you are missing the point. A GM that reads logs while playing UL, on every character they have, it’s a privacy thing. You Qrp-addicts and offenders should feel the most violated.

And Will copied, pasted and rearranged his wording from a Rick and Morty website, mostly to troll. Yeah kudos.
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

To me it's a simple matter that anything that happens IG is IC, it's an entire world that no one actually truly understands. Everything that happens is a part of the world, every whisper, every QRP. So I can't really see it as an invasion of privacy. If I wanted something to be private from the GMs then it wouldn't be a part of the world and has no place IG. My two cents.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

I would agree with that, except the fact that I've been assured privacy on several occasions when I've specifically asked about it only to be proven otherwise on just as many if not more occasions.

Making/replying to posts like these feels to me like banging my head on a wall though. I know nothing will change, I know the offender will not contact me to put my mind at ease, there will be no outcome but hard feelings. Maybe if I went in game and ranted ooc or post something about how I'll never log in again full of obscenities I'd feel like a valued member of the ul community but then again probably not... I'm in the wrong crowd for that. It's w/e.
Koi-Shadow

Post by Koi-Shadow »

There were mentioned a few things about privacy that we wanted to clarify:

The only ones with access to the Master Log/Master Feed are Wish (Producer), Drama (Managing Director), Jorkyn (Systems Administration), and Seeker (Dev Lead). There is no way for any other GM to see what you are whispering and we have rules in place for Invis GMs to not spy on people when they are alone/QRPing. There's no "Hear Whisper" mode built into the GM client. If somebody is reading your whispers, they're using the Master Feed and seeing everything everyone is saying/whispering/shouting/emoting in every area of the game and it's one of the four people mentioned above doing it.

The internet is not a private place. Everything you email to somebody, PM, snapchat, whisper in WoW or any other game, can be viewed by some system administrator out there or other people the message was not intended for. In other games/chat services, you likely have no clue who has access to view your private messages, but in this case we've been more open about who does. Because of the small community we have, you have to place a certain amount of trust that those four with access are not misusing this power and watching us QRP or reading OOC whispers or whatever else you freaky people do in private. Drama can come post that he never looks at the master log/master feed except if he's investigating something, but nobody is going to know if that's the truth besides Drama himself. Even if it was true, during the course of an investigation a private conversation could be read inadvertently. Or whoever you're whispering to could share their logs with some one else. I would strongly suggest that if you are truly concerned about somebody else reading what you're writing, then don't write it. Either in Underlight or any other online game, or any other place on the internet. You won't find any of my player characters QRPing partly because I don't really want to risk somebody reading that. Also, it's silly.

Wish uses the Master log/Master feed to support the roleplay that his characters Eldryck, Silk, and Wishbringer can all hear whispers in the room or else where in the dream. Drama sometimes provides us updates on feedback of the current GM led roleplay that people are whispering back and forth to each other. Recently, Drama saw a player destroying multiple items and talking about quitting the game and we were able to step in and talk that player down. Never once has any of those who have access shared something private for us to laugh at or anything like that. Your QRP is probably not that interesting and if they were into that kind of thing, I've heard that there's a lot better stuff else where on the internet.

Yeah, it's kind of creepy, but the only way I've ever seen those who currently have access use the log/feed is to support the game and to investigate cheating.
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

Props to Tember for bringing it up for conversation.

I have to say though that the concept of a being who can do whatever he wants with no repercussions or weaknesses, read our whispers and subsequently throw that information in our faces without restraint doesn't exactly promote good roleplay.

And the QRP spying thing.. I get that anonymity and omnipotence are intoxicating for those with little to no self-control, and men will be men. But morally it's Irreprehensible and flat out creepy.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

Weird cause aside from the one positive example of Drama finding someone dting things I've seen whispers being repeated just to be an a-hole, guessing which number I said with noone in the room like a parlor trick, and being told what people are talking about in another room.

In most of these cases I don't think the intention was malicious, only showing off a bit, but it killed any trust inside me personally that I'm not constantly being watched. Like I said in my first post, now I'm careful what I say ig because it's been demonstrated harmlessly as well as used against me that what I say can be and sometimes is monitored. When Tember originally posted I just wanted to let her know I can relate, it's been done to me.

#metoo
Neil
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Neil

Post by Neil »

Koi-Shadow wrote:There were mentioned a few things about privacy that we wanted to clarify:

...or whatever else you freaky people do in private.
:lol:

Don't judge us. :roll:
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

Lol...

It's a game.

Not only is it a game but its a game where you can be whatever class or person you want to be. That being said, if someone repeated something you whispered in private outloud and that person happens to be one of the higher ups and he repeats it..

It's what his character chose to dox he is rping as well.. And you should be saying your insults out loud instead of whispering them anyways.. Of course they have access too logs, if thats an issue dont do things you dont want them recording..

Shadow had a VALUABLE point when he said everything we do is recorded and its a fact. Take heed too that. Getting upset about someone being able to hear your whispers is like being mad at yourself real life if someone over heard you whispering because they are literally standing 2 feet away from you. Then decided to start drama or just tell someone they are talking about them. Thats a choice you are attempting to take away. Dont whisper in front of certain dreamers and call it a good game...
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

Lu Chaos wrote:Lol...

It's a game.

Lol. Try to remember that next time Harkyn beats you in battle and you go flying off the handle and start yelling out ooc.
Last edited by Tember on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

I didn't know until today that he couldn't.
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

Contrary to what you think I love fighting Harkyn. I didnt like the advantage he has over me but its something I can deal with now. Last conversation between both characters we let each other know how unafraid we were.. Good point to bring up though. Glad I know its not worth getting mad in this game anymore. :D :D

On another note.. I thought he could read my logs this whole time lmaooo
Janus
Dreamer

Post by Janus »

While I agree with Shadow's response, I do think the example included in the original post did not add much value to whatever RP was going on. In that way, OP has a point.

I don't have any problem with "personal" conversations being looked at. I'm not whispering my PIN or social security number to other players. Also, I am not that interesting and all of the embarrassing things my characters do happen in public. :oops:

To me this is really a matter of trust. As Shadow said, everyone logs each other and the game logs us all. The GM's cannot make you trust them. That's your decision. They do have a responsibility to develop that trust and talking about these sort of things is a way to build that.

... as long as things stay civil and on topic.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

I'll keep this simple, so there's no misunderstanding.

1. I don't kiss ass.
2. Silk and Venym's way of using this facet of the game makes the role-plays more interesting.
3. The point of this post should be more focused on the rp aspect and less about most of the rest of this gar... stuff, and controllers' ~feelings~.

~L~
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

-Lacie- wrote:I'll keep this simple, so there's no misunderstanding.

2. Silk and Venym's way of using this facet of the game makes the role-plays more interesting.

~L~
No, it doesn’t
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

So I will be honest I laughed for like a good 45 minutes after reading the post. I am afraid I just could not even pretend to care to understand or care about any of it. I have known since I was a GM here, that there are a limited number of people that can read everything you say, write, inscribe etc, in this game.

This is a game where reaction, and perception. There is also a consistent OOC layer in that certain marks etc halos, crests give us as a player the ability to severely damage the game, if you believe for one moment you have privacy during these things, you are and would be mistake.

Does that mean its done 100% of the time? Nope in cases where it assists the roleplay (your opinion of it assisting someone else's roleplay is not relevant, its on the perception of the GM) Otherwise expect that you will be heard at all times, even when you don't want to.

That being said I have golah use that knowledge to his advantage, as Wish or whom ever does listen can attest, and I love the twist it brings to the game, and to the characters.

In short, if a Tree falls in the woods, odds are a GM heard it
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »