Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

For clarity

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

For clarity

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

So, I think by now the rumour mill has had enough time to get sufficiently wound up - I want to clarify that the decision I made was a few days in the making. I don't really want those involved to think it was done maliciously - but rather in consistency with the character of OfF KiLTeR and who he is. Which is still (after all these years) a zealotous member of the Dreamers of Light. OfF KiLTeR reacted in an extreme way to a very extreme proposition - which has happened countless times over the history of the game. I sent a roleplay message to explain what OfF was doing - and why.

I expect there to be some hurt feelings and some name calling and in game implications - all of which are part and parcel with such a betrayal. That said, I hope that something comes of this. It has been some time since the current incarnation of OoL has seen such a shakeup in ideology and in membership - it seemed like an interesting twist (albeit unpopular.) I hope, genuinely, that people use it as a way to solidify their role in the city. For all the negative attention - there may be some bright moments for a player to shine in this situation.

*any flaming to follow goes below this line*
HarleyofCienn

Re: For clarity

Post by HarleyofCienn »

It just sucks you decide to shake things up when some were actually making an attempt to try something new in a positive way and you just metaphorically ball punched em when you've had years to shake things up when nothing was going on. Also, everyone I've spoken to ig about what happened was immediately like 'Wow that's so out of his character to do something like that, weird'.

It is what it is now and we can move on but thanks bud for making an already challenging but exciting situation into a much more difficult and dramatic one. That was some horrible timing.

That's all I'm going to say about the situation.

Edit: Also taking the prime, nbd. Taking every elemen/chak/shield/alt from the vaults, nbd. Scattering every unique/prime item you could get your hands on all over the game, bs. That was malicious.
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braelynn
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sidari Kai

Post by Braelynn »

From the outside looking in, I don't think the issue is that it was done - it's a perfectly acceptable RP when it's played out and planned. Prime Stealing is a big deal and 9.5 times out of 10 it's done because butthurt.

What I think the issue is, is that a semi part-time player who is not seen often enough to really pull off an RP of this particular "grand" nature, did it. Trust me - I've done it. Back in Lyra days, I was the Ruler of UoC and I hated the moron GMs that took it over and started changing things. So I decided one day to just up and steal the Prime and give it to Magnet at PoR because I didn't like the way they were doing stuff. I wasn't super active, but I was around enough.

The GMs DB demoted me and put the Prime back as if the RP never even happened. And that was that.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, and kudos to everyone involved. It gives an RP opportunity for sure, but it was sort of a cheap shot.. imo
Owner of the infamous Night Dress and WishBringer's heart
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

Those are fair assessments, from the outside lookong in.. so I will give you how I see things trying to see through the eyes of OfF KiLTeR...

He has been a devout DoL member for ... well always. One house one goal.

Leadership changes to effectively state that DoL has a bad history - a history he has been part of for a long, long time. OfF KiLTeR (not Mike... dude who drives OfF KiLTeR) takes exception because they are throwing shade on all of his past.

They propose moving to UoC because they want to be more centrally located - which makes sense peripherally, but again OfF KiLTeR actively participated in rebuilding that house and saying they wanted to move it was ... again... something that OfF KiLTeR, who knew no other home, would have taken extreme exception to.

What it comes down to is a paradigm shift - and there should be an expectation of resistance. OfF KiLTeR is in a tough spot because he is a peripheral character these days. He has no say (in his own perception) and the house is going in a different direction all of which leads to the decision he made - which was premeditated. This wasn't done on a whim - but with a careful consideration of what was going to happen.

Harley it was malicious on OfF's behalf - It was an extreme reaction to a situation he had no power to influence. Speaking from one player to another - it was not personal. I felt that selfishly, I admit, this could throw an unexpected twist to the plotline. Afterall - if all went according to plan it would be very unexciting ;)

I will still pop in and out as OfF And you can tell him how you feel. He can take it.
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

I know I said I didn't have anything else to say on the subject but I do actually have one more point to make.

Another issue I have with some people is when (inactive) people's excuse for their reckless actions is it's what my character would do, they weren't trying to frustrate you irl.. when you as a controller do know how fragile the game is, how low the player base is, how stagnant people can be and instead of just going back inactive like you mostly always are anyways you do things that if you have any common sense you know you're gonna piss someone off oocly to the point where if they actually were trying to accomplish something there's a good chance they will give up and go back dormant because they never really had that much time and energy to invest and now the required amount is doubled because of your tasteless decision to interfere at an inopportune time. It did not occur to you two weeks or more in the past to take some of YOUR time and energy and put it towards helping OoL/DoL become something your character would be proud of, but instead chose now to just react to someone else taking action and clean house and put a halt to progress. Even if your character disagrees you as a controller made a decision to instead of have your character talk it out or take a less destructive route to get his point across went straight for the jugular.

Im not buying "It's not personal' or "I didnt mean it to be malicious OOC" they are lame excuses.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

OfF KiLTeR wrote: but rather in consistency with the character of OfF KiLTeR and who he is. Which is still (after all these years) a zealotous member of the Dreamers of Light.
I'll buy that if it doesn't end up being in its oft-rumored location. Until then, though, it seems like a "You can go but I'm keeping my shiny toy here" sort of fit from someone who isn't otherwise involved.

Prime thefts have a lot of potential for good roleplay but they have to come from the right people at the right time. Dreiko could have easily done the same thing as Off on his way out, but Dreiko, just like Off isn't an active enough character to pull off a prime theft. It's just lame and cheapens the entire environment, in my opinion, for those kinds of characters to act in that way.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

When you look at it like that Sidas, the only players that would have been viable to do anything with the prime, were Jade, Frey, and Najerv. Harkyn over the last couple of weeks is borderline even, and he's the next most active after those 3 and yourself. Aaand... Three of the five named have now left the house.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I do agree that things like this should spark RP opportunities, unfortunately, I don't see anything great coming out of it, for reasons I'll keep to my damned self
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Well, that was fun while it lasted.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

I am thoroughly disgusted with how all of this was handled. There was opportunity for growth and some good rping, but no, it had to be might makes right. I hope you are happy that you ruined the game for people, I really do.
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Koi-Anise
Senior GameMaster

Post by Koi-Anise »

I'm investigating all aspects of what went down from start to finish.

I am really disappointed right now.
Senior GameMaster
Anise(a)underlight.com

- A wise man once said, "Wherever you go, there you are."
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Whichever. Honestly, I think most of us were just expecting a magic GM lift and return... so, it came out ahead of expectectations as it is? I can't remember if I sent in a report thanking Olek's controller or not. If I didn't, please relay for me.
Koi-Anise
Senior GameMaster

Post by Koi-Anise »

Nope, we let it play out with as little GM interference as possible. We had no intentions of lifting or magically putting it back. As shady as it was, and poorly executed, it was a valid RP and was treated as such. Everything that happened after, we took our cues from the players.
Senior GameMaster
Anise(a)underlight.com

- A wise man once said, "Wherever you go, there you are."
Rasputin
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

Based on my knowledge of what's been going on at the Order (which is mostly second hand because I rarely see the current membership during my dream times), OfF KiLTeR's actions seem reasonable. His house, which has in the past had very strong beliefs, seems to be abandoning those beliefs to the point that the Order wants to change their Stronghold in order to distance themselves from their former reputation (second hand explanation). The former reputation of the Dreamers of Light, good or bad, is what OfF KiLTeR is all about. His response was extreme, but seems reasonable from his perspective.

Harley, as for you being upset about him deciding to shake things up when you are attempting something instead of when there was nothing going on. It is literally the thing that is going on which is the reason for OfF KiLTeR to shake things up, there would have been no point in doing it while nothing was going on, since he was likely content that the Order was still abiding by his view of the Dreamers of Light values.

I am sorry if any of my understanding of the situation that lead to this or OfF KiLTeR's motives behind his actions are incorrect.
--Rasputin
FreeSpirit
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

Great points Harley.. the part I don't get is, who is who are you referring to when you say "some were actually making an attempt to try something new in a positive way" Do you mean Ool?

You can't be serious. The house whose sole diplomacy is "Do what we say or else?"

Please say yes. Please.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Noshkapana
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nosh

Post by Noshkapana »

fr3y wrote:The house whose sole diplomacy is "Do what we say or else?"
Everyone's a hero in their own way,
In their own, not that heroic, way.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

fr3y wrote:Great points Harley.. the part I don't get is, who is who are you referring to when you say "some were actually making an attempt to try something new in a positive way" Do you mean Ool?

You can't be serious. The house whose sole diplomacy is "Do what we say or else?"

Please say yes. Please.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I sense hostility, lol
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

Tember wrote:
fr3y wrote:Great points Harley.. the part I don't get is, who is who are you referring to when you say "some were actually making an attempt to try something new in a positive way" Do you mean Ool?

Please say yes. Please.

I sense hostility, lol
You sense hostility in your cornflakes, Gina. Make no mistake, I'm smiling ear to ear.

I'm still waiting for an answer by the way. Sorry to hear mags left you last night, does Ool stand for Order of Light or Only One Left?
Last edited by fr3y on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

fr3y wrote:
Tember wrote:

Please say yes. Please.

I sense hostility, lol
You sense hostility in your cornflakes, Temper. Make no mistake, I'm smiling ear to ear.

I'm still waiting for an answer by the way. Sorry to hear mags left you last night, does Ool stand for Order of Light or Only One Left?
You really should stop riding the short bus and learn the difference between ic and ooc

:lol: