Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Talisman Related Arts

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Talisman Related Arts

Post by Uthanatos »

As everyone who interacts with him is aware, Uthy is focused on working toward improvement of talismen, I have some ideas and I was hoping the community in general and the development team could give me some feedback as to the possibility of implementation, or suggestions for how we can make things easier to implement. The system he's working on is XP based, essentially every time you evoked one of the arts, you'd suffer the same xp loss as a collapse. It seems hefty, especially at higher spheres, but, the intention is to start the system with a mechanic in place to avoid abuse. If it were just energy based, there's not really anything to prevent a massive flood of improved talisman, and while I don't believe they should be extremely rare, it shouldn't be something you do to your whole pack. That being said, the first thing I was looking at is an art or series of arts called Empower. Now, I'm not sure if we'd need a different art for each talisman type, but the idea is as follows.

Empower: Add 1, +1 per plat to the LOWER range of a talisman. (Half effect, rounded up for flats)

Hence, a 10-30 damage chak empowered by a 50 plat would become a 16-30 damage. While looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem like much, it raises the average damage significantly. In the same way, a 12-40 dreamsoul elemen, empowered by a 50 plat would become an 18-40 and for alterors, the lower end of the duration would be increased, so a 20-40 minute alteror, empowered by a 50 plat, becomes a 26-40.

The XP cost alone would limit how quickly you could train and plat the art and would encourage people to learn it as soon as possible. My recommendation would be Orbit 60. Meaning that these talisman improvement arts would not start until a character has had a chance to really get to know their Forge.

Questions, Comments, Concerns?
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Re: Talisman Related Arts

Post by Uthanatos »

Bump, so with forge being...rebalanced I started looking into my old ideas for the improvement of talisman, trying to find the ones that wouldn't "unbalance" forge too badly but might actually still be useful, I found this one so I figured I'd bump the post up and get some feedback.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I like the idea, not sure how it would go on implementation though
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Noshkapana
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nosh

Post by Noshkapana »

Arnaya wrote:I like the idea, not sure how it would go on implementation though
I agree with Arnaya, it sounds like an interesting idea, but the implementation might be difficult.

I don't know anything about how items are handled on the backend, but I imagine there is not a field to store original values. This would likely mean that any improvement would be a one time deal.

Do you feel these Empowered Talismen should be allowed to be Recharged?

Do you feel these Empowered Talismen should be allowed to be Combined?

I feel like perhaps they should not, but am curious of your thoughts.
Everyone's a hero in their own way,
In their own, not that heroic, way.
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

I'd say if we can add a flag, like combine does, then this improvement can be used once, that way you can't turn a 12-40 into a flat 40.

As far as recharging and combining, I don't see a reason that would be a problem, since you'd be able to empower both forged and genned items. Ideally the experience hit should be the biggest limiting factor, by using a flat percentage of your total XP, in the same way collapsing does, you can scale the XP loss to the characters, meaning that a higher sphered character COULD improve an item much more, but it also costs them a hell of a lot more.

I think with that cost in mind, being able to recharge and possibly combine them would make them feel more useful, but we'd have to add a filter to it so that anything that already has the combined tag could not be improved in this fashion.

Any Koi's care to comment on the difficulty and possibility of implementation?
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days