Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

IC Forums

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Dina

IC Forums

Post by Dina »

Should never have time stamps or emotes in them! K thx bi
HarleyofCienn

Re: IC Forums

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

Yeah I saw that too and was kind of surprised it got past screening.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I've always worried about that with any of the Interviews that Arnaya's put up, that's why they always get edited... but damn does it ever take forever to do lol (less time than typing out and flipping between docs/programs to create a proper interview record, but still).
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

It's hard for me to take a full stance on this. I know most of us spend 20-30 minutes just editing out stuff that has no business being in the post, ensuring that what is left is on point with content. I used to do manual writeups for everything, but I was willing to spend the same 20-30 minutes doing it and people felt like my posts didn't have enough detail. Well, you get one or the other, I just don't have the time to go through and remove every time stamp and rewrite every emote. Nor do I have the time to skip the log completely and do a comprehensive writeup from memory. What it comes down to is that Uthy cares, but Kipp has other shit to do.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Hammen
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Hammen

Post by Hammen »

Perhaps it's because I'm new but what's the problem with timestamps and emotes?

If Uthanatos was recollecting the event, he could say "Moments later" or even "a minute later" etc. Essentiallly no different than a time log except it feels more like a story but takes much longer to edit out I would presume.

Also regarding emotes, Uthanatos could say "then I did this" or "then he/she/they did that". It's not far fetched to put the time stamps and emotes into narrative in your mind when reading.

I just don't see a huge issue with it myself.

H
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I think the general idea is that someone shouldn't have a perfect memory of events, down to the minute detail of Frey sneezing at a particular time. I would say we could put the onus on the readers to add some cloudiness to it as they read but that's not always possible either. It may be better to lean toward more of a cliff notes of events anyway since I can tell you that I never read those wall of text log posts anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

I think the problems I have with it, other than it being completely ooc, is that if you are getting tasks and sphere tasks to post the minutes of an event, copying and pasting is really you doing zero work. And not fair to those who actually take the time to do it the right way.

Another thing, is that it is painful to read. Having to read every off topic comment, every unrelated emotion and arts evoked. It wouldn't be near as much to read without all of the unnecessary stuff in there.

People saying that they don't have time isnt an excuse. Especially when you have time to hunt, gen, and sit around doing nothing in thresh for hours on end.
Hammen
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Hammen

Post by Hammen »

Well you made a good point,Sidas. Perhaps the cliff noted version would be better as I agree "who could remember every specific detail at which time?".

But as for Tembers final point, I disagree with the "doing nothing in thresh" part. We are doing a something. It's called roleplaying. But I agree with the not having time part not being a big excuse. It sucks that there's no windowed mode of Underlight so that such multitasking can be done while not missing much in game. But, if it would take me days longer but be more IC, I would do it nonetheless.

H
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

As I said in my earlier post, I do edit out the unrelated events, art evocations that I leave in are all relevant. Like the KoES Bardic, that's approximately a third of the actual log, there was so much shennanigans going on up there. Right now, I work 12-14 hours a day, six days a week. My options really are, sacrifice gametime to edit out the timestamps, or do a brief overview writeup, which has been critiqued in the past as not being "thorough enough". It's a catch 22, since I'm not going to FURTHER diminish what little play time I have by an hour to pull out every timestamp. I could have an intern do it, but then we move into the area of legal ramifications for misuse of company resources, so, we're gonna avoid that. While I understand that much of the community works 8x5 and some are even retired, there are those of us climbing the ladder IRL, which in some fields, requires time and effort, not just showing up.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »