Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

RE: IC/OOC Gentle reminder.

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Jawsman
House of Calenture
Character Name(s): Jawsman

RE: IC/OOC Gentle reminder.

Post by Jawsman »

As I can't reply to that posting in the announcements forum, I'll post here.

In regards to what Cricket said, I strongly agree that there shouldn't be IC/OOC crossover.

However, when a person's OOC actions on Discord, etc., are out of line...such as bullying, etc....does the Koi team reasonably expect players to treat their in-game dreamers as if they didn't know? Like judge that dreamer soley based on their IC actions?

Real world example:

Female A and Male A work at the same office. Male A sexually harasses Female A outside of work. HR tells her: It didn't happen in the office so nothing we can do. Also, you can't treat him differently at work or you'll be the one in trouble.

Likewise, if one's actions in Discord are consistently trollish, bullying, or just plain nasty, do not expect dreamers in-game to just treat them as if that never happened. If someone wants to avoid another, or use the ignore feature, that should be allowed without consequence. No means no, even in the dream.

So yes, OOC should not crossover into the dream. But neither should we pretend that certain people who are toxic IRL are just regular dreamers in the game.
Ruler of House Calenture
8th Sphere GateKeeper / Second Focus FateSender (Presently 8th sphere)
Master Teacher
Wordsmith
Lyran-era dreamer
Koi-Wish
Founder

Re: RE: IC/OOC Gentle reminder.

Post by Koi-Wish »

Jawsman your example, while just an example is flawed slightly.

In your example the out of office and in office girl and guy are the exact same person, just in different places - so it doesn't relate. Although, even in reality the HR person would be accurate, you gotta leave personal at the door step. Does it make right? Arguable. But its still true. I have two workers who work with me that are exhusband and wife - he was horrible to her, but in the office they have to get along, both do their jobs efficiently, and leave their personal at the doorway. Does it creep in now and then? Sure, but they try to control, HR tries to squash it and productivity moves forward.

I am Brian Clementoni out here, and WishBringer in there - they are two totally different names, worlds, and lives.

I know there are people out here that get under our skins. There are plenty that get under mine. There are plenty that have even wished me dead, facts. I have been harassed at work, S.W.A.Ted while playing UL, had my life threatened, even my family.... A lot of ugly happens out here. Some of those people still exist in the game, however, and my characters do not treat them any differently because of what i know out here. I try to keep the lore of the City pure and free of OOC influence, its not possible for that to be perfect, its absolutely impossible - buts it the effort of trying that keeps it that much closer to that goal. Its better then saying screw it, let OOC just happen.... none of us would like that.

That being said, I know its not possible for everyone to draw a line in the sand of their emotions and feelings about people out here vs. in there, I get it. I ask that we try, we all try. If you can not, there is still one wonderful option you have. Its called choice. You can choose to interact with the person or not. Leave the room, go somewhere else. If it gets to a point of IC harassment without an IC reason, or if that reason is concocted to give them an excuse to harass, let us know. We will deal with it as best we can, and as we have numerous times in the past. We do try, regardless of the clouded emotions that blur the the judgement of folks who think otherwise.

Dream.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Just ignore that troll's existence. Log out when he logs on.
Eton
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Eton, Basil

Post by Eton »

PKChrisChan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 pm Just ignore that troll's existence. Log out when he logs on.
That is a lot easier said than done if we all did that when this certain person came into the city no one would dream for about a month until he got tired of playing.
Harkyn

Post by Harkyn »

Finally! About time others started to speak out with me against Lance Stone.
Eton
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Eton, Basil

Post by Eton »

Harkyn wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:08 am Finally! About time others started to speak out with me against Lance Stone.
Nothing indicates anything about Lance Stone.