Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Chaos Well and Forge

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Re: Chaos Well and Forge

Post by Yuritau »

I like the notion. There are times when you just can't find anyone to get you a PT.

A follow up suggestion: Allow chaos wells to absorb Trapped essences. It feels silly to have a chaos well tell you that you have no essences when you have a dozen of them in your pack.
Shoury
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Shoury

Post by Shoury »

Two points to note here:

a) I understand the position and role Houses play in the game, however, some players may choose to drive toons to carry on the FreeSpirit crusade. As such, options should be available for them. I, too, would like to see Power Tokens pseudo-decoupled from Forge. Since EMPOWERED Forge consumes a Power Token equal to 50 strength, have a checkbox while Forging to either USE PT or consume 50 strength worth of essences via Chaos Wells and Trapped Essences in pack, if applicable.

b) In order for trapped essences to be consumed, the NUMBER OF ESSENCES and TOTAL ESSENCE STRENGTH must deviate from the existing 1:1 relationship. We can deduce the following occurs (assuming it remains linear at +20 per plateau)

Unplateau'd CW: MAX 20 ESSENCE COUNT / MAX 20 STR
CW10: MAX 40 ESSENCE COUNT / MAX 40 STR
CW20: MAX 60 ESSENCE COUNT / MAX 60 STR
CW30: MAX 80 ESSENCE COUNT / MAX 80 STR
CW40: MAX 100 ESSENCE COUNT / MAX 100 STR

You get the drift.. the max # of essences is fine, but the max strength needs to be adjusted, along with corresponding roleplay's to make changes to the art (if possible) to accomodate absorbing trapped essences.

-S
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

Being a player that plays a free spirit and as much as I want to forge at proper strength I have to disagree with this, it takes away from the importance of a house, and if you are a real free spirit I assure you, there are ways around not having a prime.

I believe Chaos wells can become a form of currency, more so when platted and hold more strength, those in turn can be negotiated with houses to exchange for power tokens, I think this is a much more logical notion and forces both free spirits and houses to decide on if its a fashionable notion or not.

That being said, I believe as far as power goes I like how this is laid out, but if you want to see more trust me I have plans, may or may not work, but will be one fun ride trying.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I've been saying the same Golah. It is a perk for being in a house. If your house is unwilling to give you some...have the house come up with ways to get them or join a house that isn't greedy (DoL is taking applications!). Freespirits are forced to interact with houses to gain them which = rp's. It is a good rp tool...the way it is set up.
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Post by Yuritau »

Blade wrote:I do not mind that Chaos Wells don't accept strength. I understand the reasoning behind it. I can carry a single bog essence that would not fit inside a Chaos Well until it's at least at a plat of 20+ (when it becomes 60/60).

Even a 7th plat Chaos well would still only be 160/160. I would fill this will 3 bogroms, with 10 strength left over.

Chaos Well makes an attempt to balance other classes against the usefulness of a SoulMaster. So non-SM's can bring in more essences at once, while a SM will still have to carry their essences, because I can still bring in more strength in a hour than a non-sm can bring in over the course of a week.

My suggestion is to give people an alternate route to forge, other than PT's.
I never stated it explicitly, but I intended my follow-up suggestion to be only if Forge is made to use Chaos Wells as well as PTs.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Just my opinion and all that: no.

Chaos Well should also probably a house-only art, but at the very least it should not be convertible to a power token, because once you've done that you've made wells and PTs fungible. Joining a house has the perk of getting power tokens. Maybe there should be a house only art that's learnable by initiates that lets you convert chaos wells to power tokens but with the caveat that only full wells can be converted and only at a ratio of 2:1 (2 chaos wells yields 1 PT, regardless of how many essences are in the well itself).
Krodoc
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Krodoc

Post by Krodoc »

Tary: If you made it so only two full chaos wells can be converted into one PT, the art of chaos well would no longer be useful to plateau at all. If you could convert 2 20 strength chaos wells, why plat it to where you'd need 2 40 strength chaos wells?

I'd like the idea of being able to forge on your own without the binds of a stronghold, but I understand why the strongholds are being made to have so many perks. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is. I would agree to what Golah said though. You could always trade a house for a PT if you gave them full chaos wells. If they're nice enough, they'll only have you reimburse what it takes to make one. It gives you the ability to still forge without a house, and gives the houses the ability to set the standard and decide what their PTs are worth.
Loathed
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Magnilia

Post by Loathed »

Houses have been dealing in energy exchange for Power Tokens since launch. If you don't Trap and want to use a Well instead, well there you go. Not everything is a gimme. Interact, negotiate, make it happen. It's possible and doesn't always require 'another coded method to get there....'
A man's character is his fate. - Heraclitus
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

I under no circumstance support this. Power should be in the houses to give them meaning. If anything, I think -more- power should be handed to the houses.

A freespirit can quite easily buy PTs from houses through numerous ways if they want to.
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

I believe I have proven Gerroz;s statement. As a freespirit we should have no means of creating power tokens, we must make it so that we have to communicate, involve, and participate in dreamer activates to promote ourselves and the city.

For those interested I have been doing a roleplay regarding forge, before I was tasked, and then tasked to continue working on forge afterwards, its a great roleplay and really delves into the art of it all.
Brother Timothy
Dreamer

Post by Brother Timothy »

In game I have suggested a room where one could stand on a pad and forge quality items without the use of a power token. BT actually designed such a room, but figured he would never get the GM support to build it or any of the other rooms he has designed, so he whispers his idea into the ears of those he thinks might have a chance at building it.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Brother Timothy wrote:In game I have suggested a room where one could stand on a pad and forge quality items without the use of a power token. BT actually designed such a room, but figured he would never get the GM support to build it or any of the other rooms he has designed, so he whispers his idea into the ears of those he thinks might have a chance at building it.
As long as it's in Horron's Lair.
Brother Timothy
Dreamer

Post by Brother Timothy »

Actually it was part of a forgers guild hall he designed. Never mind the fact he doesn't have the art forge.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Brother Timothy wrote:Actually it was part of a forgers guild hall he designed. Never mind the fact he doesn't have the art forge.
I mean I would love to have a spot like that in the game. It has to be in a very risky area, though. Perhaps a room that spawns 2 Horrons at a time that are guaranteed to be visioned.
Rasputin
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

So, I think that there is an issue that everyone is ignoring. What about the roleplay aspect of Chaos Wells?

From a roleplay perspective Chaos Wells hold essences that have not been Banish, Imprisoned, Cleansed, or Drained. Do we want to add a mechanic that incentivizes ignoring this aspect of the game's Roleplaying?
Loathed
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Magnilia

Post by Loathed »

Really better dealt with in game, however...

You can drain a Chaos Well.

Also only Sm's have "essence" arts as it is, does that mean anyone outside of them is without a way to Banish, Imprison or Cleanse? Nope.
A man's character is his fate. - Heraclitus
tongclub62
Dreamer

Post by tongclub62 »

Thaks for sharing. ;)