Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

New Player Improvement Suggestions

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Harkyn

New Player Improvement Suggestions

Post by Harkyn »

The following are my suggestions for improving Underlight to be more attractive to new players:

-Change Identify, Destroy Talisman, recharge, and translocate to be birth arts. Recharge would now be a Dreamseer minor art (non-dreamseers would only be able to plateau recharge to 20 since it would be a minor art which would be of some use but still no where as good as higher plats of recharge). Change the cast speed of all levels of flame arts to be the same as it is at 90+ so that it is usable for hunting at lower spheres.

-Permanently add some kind of message to the courtyard that tells new players to press "F" to enter portals.

-Fix the account system so you can't create characters with too many letters in their name which then does not allow you to actually login with that character as seen in the Josh Strife video.

-Add the account system into the Underlight launcher.

-Code the oracle eligible arts to automatically learn/plateau when they are eligible.
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Re: New Player Improvement Suggestions

Post by Yuritau »

Harkyn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm The following are my suggestions for improving Underlight to be more attractive to new players:

-Change Identify, Destroy Talisman, recharge, and translocate to be birth arts. Recharge would now be a Dreamseer minor art (non-dreamseers would only be able to plateau recharge to 20 since it would be a minor art which would be of some use but still no where as good as higher plats of recharge). Change the cast speed of all levels of flame arts to be the same as it is at 90+ so that it is usable for hunting at lower spheres.
For Identify, Translocate, and Flame, 100% agree. DT, meh I could take it or leave it. Recharge, I dunno, that feels like too drastic of a change to me.
Harkyn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm -Permanently add some kind of message to the courtyard that tells new players to press "F" to enter portals.
Bringing back (or re-making) the tutorial rooms would also be super useful.
Harkyn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm -Fix the account system so you can't create characters with too many letters in their name which then does not allow you to actually login with that character as seen in the Josh Strife video.

-Add the account system into the Underlight launcher.
Yep.
Harkyn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm -Code the oracle eligible arts to automatically learn/plateau when they are eligible.
That or add an Oracle's Gift art that is granted automatically at 3rd or 4th sphere that when evoked on a target takes care of any eligible Oracle's Gift arts/plateaus. Additionally, include out-of-focus minor arts in the Oracle's Gift.
Harkyn

Re: New Player Improvement Suggestions

Post by Harkyn »

Recharge 29 isn't that great, but it would be a huge quality of life enhancement for new players, it only adds 1-3 charges per evoke and has a relatively high chance of backfire compared to higher level recharge. High spheres would probably still take their best items to a high sphere Dreamseer to recharge. It would take a little uniqueness away from the Dreamseer focus so they might need a little something to balance that out. It's not near as important as making Identify a birth art though.