Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Dreamstrike Alternative

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Tobyz Friend
Dreamer

Re: Dreamstrike Alternative

Post by Tobyz Friend »

I really like the idea, except the opt out portion. If people could opt out of it, then who would purposefully opt in, especially fighters from houses, all they have to do to keep from having to deal with it is not learn it.
The nicest smiles often hide the darkest demons.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

I don't think they should have to automatically earn it at all. This isn't just for houses or house wars, this is for characters with the urge to kill.

You want to kill people, cool, you can now kill people but now you can also be killed so enjoy your evil ways.

That's how I think it should be, and i'm stickin' too it, coming back automatically is pointless, I think they should really die if they haven't been brought back in a certain time. Simple as that. Spread your roleplay, get friends or die forever if you want to be a murderer.

-Lu Chaos
Venom
Dreamer

Post by Venom »

I really like this idea. Gives some incentives and swings battles and consequences around for the houses. Since it's only temporarily the houses would have to debate whether they should spend the house prime strength or not. The dreamer would come back eventually.

Although this should cost the house or person casting it as well. So maybe have it require a special token to envoke? This token can be created using a sum of strength from the prime? Regular power tokens don't cut it, it would have to be a stronger and more costly token. That way the house using the art would have to think twice before using it since it would cost them as well. This should prevent the art from being widely used left and right as it would require the house to think before they act.
*You shall be beaten by the Eggbeater and you will LIKE IT!*
-Venom
Dreamseer and Teacher
Dina

Post by Dina »

With it being just so easy to gain the art and easy to just evoke and POOF you are gone for a month. I don't like this. You will start having people get upset when they can't play their toons for a month. I will say this now, some people will get irritated enough and leave the game. Some people have a hard time filling their primes too. Not every house has 4 trappers in it like the Order.

I understand how Rulers and Guardians are supposed to be these "awesome" people and should have everything in the game, however I do not think they should have it. Everyone will know who has it then. Don't you want it to be a surprise???

I am probably the only one that disagrees, sorry.
Starfall
Dreamer

Post by Starfall »

While I'm not that fond of mechanics like this at all, I do like it being opt-in.

I don't think it should be learned like any art. I say a guardian-only art, evoked while holding a prime, can grant it to someone or take it from someone at a cost from the prime. Opting in shouldn't be permanent. But I would say restrict it, such that it can't be removed from someone who used it as long as any of their victims is still banished from the city, or two weeks, whichever is longer.
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

With the population of players starting to go on the decline again, I do not see this as a gaming option for the community right now. If it was a large community I could see its merit.
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Dina

Post by Dina »

Ohhhhhh. Sorry, I skimmed it lol. My bad.

Yeah that isn't bad if it is opt-in.
Venom
Dreamer

Post by Venom »

Starfall wrote:While I'm not that fond of mechanics like this at all, I do like it being opt-in.

I don't think it should be learned like any art. I say a guardian-only art, evoked while holding a prime, can grant it to someone or take it from someone at a cost from the prime. Opting in shouldn't be permanent. But I would say restrict it, such that it can't be removed from someone who used it as long as any of their victims is still banished from the city, or two weeks, whichever is longer.

If you look at my suggestion at my post I pretty much said something similar. A very powerful token of some sort created by the prime. The regular power tokens won't be sufficient enough. It would have to be one generated with greater strength or something. Then the person needs to have the token to use the art. This will restrict the use of this opt-in art to only be used when absolutely necessary. Since it will eat up a bit of the prime strength. These tokens should drop btw so the opposing side can grab them if the dreamer drops it. To the winner goes the spoils heh.
*You shall be beaten by the Eggbeater and you will LIKE IT!*
-Venom
Dreamseer and Teacher
Starfall
Dreamer

Post by Starfall »

While there's a certain appeal to the notion of rulers or rulers and guardians being automatically vulnerable, taking a ruler out for a month can and will cripple a house in far-reaching ways. Even when rulers go missing willingly it hampers *everything* about a house, even replacing them.

I don't think there is such thing as a "big enough" size for the community that makes DreamStrike viable. Not even in the MPlayer days. Both this and dreamstrike are both arts that give a player control over another player's very ability to play and participate. I firmly believe any such mechanic should be opt-in only.
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

1.) Soul Trap (Other names if you can think of a better one) is an art that can only be gained from certain individuals, ((GMS or People who wish to teach it))
2.) Should not be made strictly for houses. yet it should be for any who wish to join the killers of the city.
3.) Should not die for only a month yet die entirely unless you can gain enough ((Supports Tokens?)) within a month. If you are not able then you are dead and your character deserves to die simply because they wish to kill others.
4.) Only requirement for gaining this art is having a desire to kill others and completing a task from the supplier of the mark. ((Via GM or other Chosen teachers who possess the mark..

Above basically will have it so it doesn't bother the outside people and then it will still be fun for the people who actually do wanna kill.. The automatically coming back part of the whole thing is pointless to me, it takes the whole fun out of it.. Like I explained before..

YOU WANT TO KILL PEOPLE? OK YOU CAN, BUT NOW YOU CAN DIE AS WELL!!!

-Lu Chaos
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

I think it's a good idea - well done to the people who worked this out!
Not in favour of making Rulers and Guardians automatically have it, for the same reasons that Dina mentioned.
I agree with not making it house-only, but then the price for evoking it would have to be in something other than Power Tokens.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is, how would you change back again, i.e. unlearn the art and no longer be vulnerable to it? It would have to be something that couldn't be done instantly, maybe two weeks or a month - otherwise people would learn and unlearn it strategically, learn the art, Soultrap a bunch of people, then unlearn it before anyone could retaliate. But there should be some way of changing back for people who tried it and then decided they didn't like it - otherwise it's not fully optional.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

Lu I think the idea with this art is to not be dreamstrike.

This is the sort of art that could come into play for wars and make them meaningful. On a declared war, soul trap is granted to house members and can be evoked on the opposing house.

It could cost 1000 strength and the dreamers essence to create a dreamer specific token to use with it. Next time you get them collapsed you soul trap them and then it's as Eros says. First house out of str loses.

something like that..
Krodoc
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Krodoc

Post by Krodoc »

I'd learn it! Also, if the dreamer is brought back after a month automatically, rather than being revived by the prime's strength, they are brought back at the beginning of their Sphere? Like a collapse away from losing it. This would also make an additional risk to it. If they're revived via prime strength, they come back with half their sphere (45, 55, 65, etc) unless they weren't that high to begin with, then they start at the beginning of their sphere. So if you're orbit 64, you'd come back at 60. If you're 66, you'd come back 65 if you've been revived.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

I understand what you guys are trying to do with the art, but why just make it for the houses? There is still some free spirits out there who would wanna receive the mark. Other than that if you guys think you have it figured out then go for it, i'm with it regardless.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

Yea and your right I guess, I can see Eros or someone getting hit with the deathmark or something and being gone for up to a month, but his friends bring him back within like 2 days lol. i can see alot of things happening with this RP. It's not gonna be as scary as DreamStrike, but Soul Imprisonment or Soul Trap will be epic.