Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

The Greatest Suggestion To Ever Exist

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Krodoc
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Krodoc

The Greatest Suggestion To Ever Exist

Post by Krodoc »

There should be a 5-8 second delay before you activate a second portal. So you walk into a room and now you have to wait 5-8 seconds before you use another portal. This would make portal hopping much harder to accomplish.

The only exception I'd make is crest locked portals. So house portals would not be affected by this delay.
Tary
Dreamer

Re: The Greatest Suggestion To Ever Exist

Post by Tary »

SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL.

Except now it suddenly takes 10 minutes to go to Lost Caves.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Tary wrote:SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL.

Except now it suddenly takes 10 minutes to go to Lost Caves.
Why not make it the 'same' portal?
Krodoc
Dreamer

Post by Krodoc »

That'd work, Sidas. I can't really think of a better way to do it right now.
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

I thought that was in game already, but it was 10 minutes. Or is it 20? I always forget that part. But it's called Ward. :lol:
Starfall
Dreamer

Post by Starfall »

There is nothing I like about this idea.
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Would make things very difficult for people playing low-level characters (like me), who need to go through an area where there's a nightmare that they can't possibly deal with themselves. Still, even my character (orbit 11) can usually hold out for 8 seconds against a bogrom, but I'm not sure about an agoknight.

Sidas's suggestion would help, though even so I do often need to nip in and out of the two agoknight rooms in Thresh Caves looking for the people that Sense says are down there.

Not really sure what Koi-Legend's suggestion has to do with it, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what the problem is about portal hopping.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

The method for preventing portal hopping is ward. If there were a long delay like this, a gk would be even more powerful, being able to ward after someone has entered.

Let's put forth some more ideas on this subject, though, see what we come up with.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Even having a delay for crossing planes would be useful.
Kage
Dreamer

Post by Kage »

Generically adding an 8 second delay to using a portal when you enter a room sounds like a game-destroying change- if anyone is ever thinking of doing that please contact me so I can talk you out of ruining the game :) .

Anyway the same portal delay sounds reasonable as long as we're talking about the same *side* of a portal. Disallowing use of the same portal creates an escape mechanism for people already in the room. What I mean by that is we should avoid this situation:

1. Dude sees enemy approaching via locate.
2. Dude waits at obvious entry portal the enemy will use.
3. Dude leaves through that portal as soon as enemy enters the room.
4. Enemy cannot pursue for 5-8 seconds (or whatever). This whole concept crashes down on enemy's face because he's once again blocked from doing anything to Dude, while Dude just used an automatic mini-ward effect to his advantage - basically a powered up portal hop. Dude can rinse and repeat while being pursued because he's far enough ahead to keep doing it. Yikes. Also if enemy picks the wrong portal while pursuing, he is blocked from turning around at every turn.
Koi-Alastar

Post by Koi-Alastar »

Kage, in your example...why would Dude wait for attacker to get to the same room as him if his goal is to run away? If dude has time to wait for attacker to reach him, couldn't he have just fled in the opposite direction in the first place? Except in the case of people doing this solely to be annoying...
Kage
Dreamer

Post by Kage »

Koi-Alastar wrote:Kage, in your example...why would Dude wait for attacker to get to the same room as him if his goal is to run away? If dude has time to wait for attacker to reach him, couldn't he have just fled in the opposite direction in the first place? Except in the case of people doing this solely to be annoying...
To the original point we could ask why would someone portal hop excessively when they could just leave instead? From my experience the answer to both is usually the one you already provided, however there are a lot of situations where people play cat and mouse for various reasons. It's actually not uncommon for someone to take MB off to act as a diversion in a conflict involving larger groups. People even get tasked to do things like creating diversions.

Let's even take that part away. You are pursuing someone in-game. With the latency issues most experience, this is hard enough already as you can't always tell which portal they took in a particular room. Now if you make a single error in pursuit and need to turn around - you're blocked for x seconds from doing so. Each time that happens, the one fleeing is actually rewarded, is my point. If they decide to use the mechanic against you actively, this would be even more disruptive. I could see this getting extremely frustrating.

It makes sense that we would want to find some way to address this.

The real problem seems to be a deeper-rooted technical/design issue that we're always battling as players - in this case movement is not restricted at all during the period of time when a player isn't established in the room yet. That grey area where they arent established yet presents other issues as well of course. Sacrificing usability on a larger scale to deal with one aspect of that problem seems like it could easily backfire.

If the solution casts a wide net that can negatively impact all users who are otherwise not portal-hopping, then the net result is bad for the game, IMO.
Krodoc
Dreamer

Post by Krodoc »

Sidas suggested the same portal. Implying: You walk in, and can immediately walk back out, but you're delayed from walking back in. You can still turn around and go back the other way without the delay. It's only if you want to go through a portal you've already been through. Each portal is its own. The portal leading to the Citadel from the Order's Threshold is not the same portal as the one leading to Order's Threshold from the Citadel.

Example: You walk into the Arena from the Sanctuary. You can immediately turn around and go back into the sanctuary without delay. You cannot, however, go back into the Arena from Sanctuary until the delay runs its course.

So if a new dreamer walks into a room with a shamblix, he can escape through any portal.
Kage
Dreamer

Post by Kage »

Krodoc wrote:Sidas suggested the same portal. Implying: You walk in, and can immediately walk back out, but you're delayed from walking back in. You can still turn around and go back the other way without the delay. It's only if you want to go through a portal you've already been through. Each portal is its own. The portal leading to the Citadel from the Order's Threshold is not the same portal as the one leading to Order's Threshold from the Citadel.

Example: You walk into the Arena from the Sanctuary. You can immediately turn around and go back into the sanctuary without delay. You cannot, however, go back into the Arena from Sanctuary until the delay runs its course.

So if a new dreamer walks into a room with a shamblix, he can escape through any portal.
Yep I think that works as it mostly only addresses the portal-hopping scenario. It's still going to catch people who aren't portal hopping, but if the delay was low enough it's not going to be a huge annoyance during normal play.
Dakkoth
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow

Post by Dakkoth »

Kage wrote:
Krodoc wrote:Sidas suggested the same portal. Implying: You walk in, and can immediately walk back out, but you're delayed from walking back in. You can still turn around and go back the other way without the delay. It's only if you want to go through a portal you've already been through. Each portal is its own. The portal leading to the Citadel from the Order's Threshold is not the same portal as the one leading to Order's Threshold from the Citadel.

Yep I think that works as it mostly only addresses the portal-hopping scenario. It's still going to catch people who aren't portal hopping, but if the delay was low enough it's not going to be a huge annoyance during normal play.
Not a bad idea. You get to enter the room and check on a situation and are able to leave. But you cannot abuse the portal hopping. Seems nice. Perhaps 8 seconds is a bit excessive though. perhaps something shorter. It'd have to be something experimented with. Put Eros on the case, I say.
Krodoc
Dreamer

Post by Krodoc »

The reason for the slightly higher delay is to compensate for the fact that when you first enter a room, you really can't be targeted by anything. The delay allows people to evoke on you before you are able to leave again. The only problem I see with it is you can walk in, start a fight, leave, wait 8 seconds come back in, and the delay for leaving again is already over, allowing you to once again portal hop, just a bit slower. So people would have to follow you still.

If there was a solid way for Ward to defend against Blend it wouldn't be a big deal for GKs, but if two non-GKs are fighting, they can't ward each other in.

I wish there was a way to mark a character for being "in battle" so only those marked would have the delay on all portals.
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

That depends what would cause the flag. It's not a foreign concept, however, and the delay in eve is 30 seconds. Eve gates are more like planes.

So a theory for this would be if you use an offensive art, you're flagged for the next 30 seconds and can't use the "same" portal for 4 seconds and you simply can't use a planar portal until you've deaggressed for 30 seconds.

This is just a thought based on what you guys are saying, this combat flag doesn't exist and I don't think the 'need' for such a change has been established yet.
Dakkoth
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow

Post by Dakkoth »

Krodoc wrote:The reason for the slightly higher delay is to compensate for the fact that when you first enter a room, you really can't be targeted by anything. The delay allows people to evoke on you before you are able to leave again. The only problem I see with it is you can walk in, start a fight, leave, wait 8 seconds come back in, and the delay for leaving again is already over, allowing you to once again portal hop, just a bit slower. So people would have to follow you still.

If there was a solid way for Ward to defend against Blend it wouldn't be a big deal for GKs, but if two non-GKs are fighting, they can't ward each other in.

I wish there was a way to mark a character for being "in battle" so only those marked would have the delay on all portals.
Koi-Legend wrote:That depends what would cause the flag. It's not a foreign concept, however, and the delay in eve is 30 seconds. Eve gates are more like planes.

So a theory for this would be if you use an offensive art, you're flagged for the next 30 seconds and can't use the "same" portal for 4 seconds and you simply can't use a planar portal until you've deaggressed for 30 seconds.

This is just a thought based on what you guys are saying, this combat flag doesn't exist and I don't think the 'need' for such a change has been established yet.
I can't see this being any good. Would restore then be considered offensive? It could be if you're healing somebody in combat. So the restorers could still portal hop but the blasters, para, and chak slingers couldn't? no no this doesn't sound good at all.

I personally don't see a need for anything other than a possible slight delay (the same delay used for letting the dreamer synch with the plane is logical here.) If you aren't able to be cast upon, you shouldn't be able to cast on others AND shouldn't be able to jump out of a portal before synchronizing. So...each portal has a unique ID. Every time a dreamer uses a portal, a debuff timer starts that prevents them from using that portal for 4-5 seconds (or whatever the same length of synchronization is). I can't see anything more than this being beneficial.

~Mike
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

...and I don't think the 'need' for such a change has been established yet.
Situations like this are still few and far between. We need to see the problem is big enough to warrant a change.