Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Weekly Discussion 1: Intro

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Re: Weekly Discussion 1: Intro

Post by Clarity »

Gerroz wrote:I completely agree with Noidea. If we had seen some lasting effects on the large scale events, they would be more appreciated , more attended and hold more lasting meaning In the game.

Some things are difficult, requiring heavy coding, but other things should be easy enough. IMO they should then be implemented if the effort warranted them

WHICH MEANS YOU AGREED WITH MEEE.... SEE THAT? IT TOTALLY HAPPENED!

:lol:
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

This has been a very useful discussion so far and I want to thank you all for providing your input and giving us a great list to work from on what you all want to see.

So let’s dig in. Some of this I’m going to just respond to directly, others I’m going to save for future discussion threads where we can all talk about the gritty details.

Communication is by far the biggest issue and is a common theme throughout your suggestions. We’re very conscious of this and we are working on this very thing. Which is what brought me to the team. I’ll be working the forums, IRC, twitter and facebook to spread your stories out and let everyone know what’s going on. The Roleplay Lead and I will be working together to ensure there are avenues for folks to catch up on things that are ‘public’ knowledge.

Roleplaying emails are also going to see responses and more useful responses, though you should always try to tailor your roleplays to not ‘require’ GM assistance, we do still want to know what you’re up to! In addition, there are some stumbling blocks in the way of letting us work on better ways to react and show results of roleplays. The XP bug was the focus of our dev team and has been delaying some of the fixes already planned that will solve a few of these concerns.

However, the XP bug has been squashed. By one of our devs who is not Tary. =P

We also want to bring an OOC resource like the wiki page to the forefront and keep it up to date with teaching rules, task requirements, learnable art levels and sample tasks.

Recognizing and responding to roleplays is something we will be working on in the coming weeks and months and we hope to get better at it and give enough recognition without forming a dependance.

Early Advancement issue has been discussed and is beginning implementation: http://forums.clashofdreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=774

I have mentioned the Forge debate already in my thread in the roleplaying discussion forum:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=757

Cursed Items from gens and mare drops has been discussed by the team.

Art ‘imping’ is being looked at.

And let’s have some discussions on some of these for future threads. I appreciate everyone’s participation. With your help, we’re going to continue to make this the best version yet.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Just to say, thanks very much! This is really encouraging and I appreciate all the hard work that must have gone into this.

Also... please don't rely on people being able to get things off Facebook or Twitter that aren't on the website itself, will you? Some of us don't have Facebook. Well, me, anyway.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Koi-Legend

Post by Koi-Legend »

Hi noidea,

Social media news isn't required, it's just another method of communicating, and it's one that helps spread the word. The website front page contains the twitter feed, however, and irc and the forums are additional sources. Not to mention the motd on login should be getting quicker to react in the future.
Kailoth
Dreamer

Post by Kailoth »

My biggest complaint would be people. This game requires constant interaction to be successful, and in turn requires more people to play, otherwise we're just sitting in a chatroom. I'm obviously not getting the frustration with the advancement. I've had no issues obtaining anything on any of my characters. Are the GMs there all the time? No. Otherwise everyone would be 9th sphere twiddling their thumbs.

A lot of folks need to take a step back and realize all of the GMs are volunteers. They are coding, and doing everything they do for free. Yes, I wish there was on demand access to a lot of things, but give them time to work out the kinks and leave the attitudes at the door.

My comments are not directed towards anyone specific, or related to what anyone said. So no one get all defensive.
Venom
Dreamer

Post by Venom »

(Primary) The buff icons for the arts sounds cool. I didn't play SOT but it sounds interesting!

Also, as a secondary... make Identify a birth art. I've gotten a few new folks that are just confused as to why they can not look at item stats. At this point it just seems silly. But that's just a suggestion.

Lastly, You could always give Dreamseers a new art called Indigestion. This new art prevents the user from consuming elemen and alts or forged equivalents that replenish them or gives them buffs. They can still use chaks though. That way I can run around giving everyone indigestion.
*You shall be beaten by the Eggbeater and you will LIKE IT!*
-Venom
Dreamseer and Teacher
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

I know I'm late to this post but after reading some of the responses I just have to give my oppinion. Some things I have to say help resolve others suggestions and some just give my oppinion on the direction the game needs to be in for it to succeed.

On changing forge because people complain that it replaces genning when at high levels. Forge should not be debuffed, limited on charges or anything else. The fact that forge can partially replace genning at high levels is a plus, not a negative. Forge is and always has been the most highly restricted art. As such, a player that had invested years of work and countless resources getting it to level 50+ should benefit from it. Players complain about how much time they have to "waste" on imping arts or genning to have items for various purposes, debuffing forge makes these issues magnified. As it stands if a new player joins a house with a player that has a high level forge they instantly are rewarded by having a ally who can not only make them items for general use but also make them items to put them on a faster track for advancement. If GeRRoZ created a will elemen or two for a second sphere Gatekeeper, that GK instantly has a easier track to improving ward, as well as thier other less costly arts. Thats just one of many examples. Forge, as it stands, is a big plus for the players to counter the struggles of advancement. Also, players complain about pack space or for SoT players, not having a personal vault. If you have a high level forge you can create elemens with 50+ charges, this can allow you to carry less elemens and therefore have more room for other items. The list just goes on and on. Forge, as it currently stands, is perfectly balanced and a huge resolution for many of the longtime complaints we have heard over the years. It gives players a reason to advance, a reason to roleplay, and is ideal for most current players. This doesn't even cover the amazing improvements on item creation and the roleplay opportunities that come with that, so please don't change forge. It would definetly hurt the game unmeasurably.

As for improvements. I already made mention of the complaint that has always held back Underlight and that is advancement. Forge and what it offers is one step in resolving imping arts and maximising your time in the game but another improvement would be making Personality Points useful by allowing players to use them for art improvements. Restricted arts such as Forge or Train would be excluded except maybe for and MT or a DreamSmith. A MT acting out a mini roleplay and then using PP to improve thier Train or a Smith doing the same and improving thier Forge would make sence IC because ofcourse that is how the "ancient dreamwrights" did it. This would also add another benefit to achieving those roles. On the topic of all other players, why not allow us to use PP if we want to improve Free Action to 50 using 50 PP? It doesn't hurt the game and if anything it gives players yet another avenue ( even though a lot more lengthy) to improve thier characters. So, if your lazy at tasking you can still be an active roleplayer and still improve abilities over time. I think that the game is at a point were any way we can help players enjoy themselves and improve thier characters, we should as long as it doesn't compromise the game and believe me, somebody spending 4 months to save up 50-60 PP for a level 50 plat in free action won't hurt anything.

I could go on and on but Ill save some for our next discussion. Thanks for listening.
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!