Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Sphere Loss

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Starfall
Dreamer

Sphere Loss

Post by Starfall »

I think regaining lost spheres should be a simpler process than gaining it the first time. I'd even go so far as to say reduce it to just gathering the supports via mini tasks. The gravity of losing a sphere would drive some great RP if gaining them weren't being made into such involved ordeals. One of the teaching meetings revealed that every sphere task granted and turned in had been inadequate. If, across the board, the teachers with Sphere were giving tasks that were too easy, that tells me that as players we're collectively interested in lightening up on some of the things we used to hold sacred in terms of advancement. But if the requirements as stated are to be held to, regaining a lost sphere can take a month or better.

Regaining lost spheres should be one of those places where we step back and reassess the system. It's a huge blow. But it shouldn't be catastrophic. By reducing it to just collecting supports that still takes more effort on the part of the student than just finding a teacher to re-sphere them.
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison
Ghazgkull
Dreamer

Re: Sphere Loss

Post by Ghazgkull »

+1

Actually, I don't think it should be possible to lose a sphere just by being collapsed. It doesn't make sense.

- Jared
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

I strongly disagree.

There's already close to no real consequences in the game as it is. Defeat someone at their house? Great, you can now sit there and do nothing to them while they hide inside. Collapse them? Yeah they lose an item and some XP, which is not even very threatening at all. The only real fear right now is losing a sphere, which also is close to impossible if you can hunt at all or get XP from the boards. If you remove the possibility of losing a sphere completely, or it being regained hella easy, noone will even care about fighting at all.

For my character, this is more real than anyone else. Losing more than a 5th sphere dreamer's orbit a pop, staying coherant in battles is extremely important, as even keeping 8th sphere at all is a real challenge. The fear of losing it makes for some hearth throbbing, hand shaking thrills in battle. If I could get 8th spehre back by just gaining supports, I really wouldnt give a C**P.

We need -more- consequences in this game, not less.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I agree with Gerroz. Sphere loss is pretty much the only combat consequence right now. It would make the game worse to remove it.
Ghazgkull
Dreamer

Post by Ghazgkull »

Yeah, I can see that argument about consequences. Does it ever actually happen anyway?
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Ghazgkull wrote:Yeah, I can see that argument about consequences. Does it ever actually happen anyway?
Yes. I think Starfall's post was set off by one. I know it happened in SoT (at least once). It'll probably happen in the current war if there's not a resolution sooner than later.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

I agree with both Ger and Ghaz/Star, actually. We need more consequence and it shouldn't be possible to lose a sphere.

I don't know how that should work, though.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I agree with Gerroz. There should be consequences.
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

Any player that has 7th or 8th sphere can tell you that the fear of losing your sphere can be a real driving force to motivate you into playing more and being more active when you do play.

At the higher spheres you actually can spend hours or even days hunting, get collapsed once and actually take a substancial loss. GeRRoZ and I get togeather 3 to 5 times a week and hunt for 1 to 5 hours. The fear of losing 8th sphere and the consequences that would come with that was the initial reason we started doing that and it has just progressed from there. It has evolved into something that keeps us playing more actively and as a result we help keep our house more active because members know when and were to find us, they come get and report tasks. We are better able to help keep the house stocked with items which motivates other members, which creates more involvement between us and other houses. I mean, this is just an example of growth at its roots and how it became more but it helped us be motivated to play more due to fearing a sphere loss.

There is no doubt in my mind that the GM team has also considered this scenario and that is why they started us all off at the first orbit of our last sphere. To give us a reason to be motivated.

So, as much as I'd love to not worry about losing a sphere, I think it is best for the game and the players to keep it as it is. Good idea on the surface though, just scared the change could lead to more inactivity.
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!