Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

EXP from Questing

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Koi-Alastar

Re: EXP from Questing

Post by Koi-Alastar »

It's not so simple as the parameters being in place already, unfortunately. There literally isn't a way for nonGMs to grant such large xp values from a coding sense. It would also require a LOT of subjective and involved oversight from the GM staff even if it were possible.

So in the interest of making sure you all don't think we are ignoring you, we have heard the concern of getting xp from RolePlaying but the method outlined here just isn't feasible.
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Alternative Experience Gain

Post by Voxaroth »

Breaking experience gain into two threads because it can get muddied up a bit.

I want to discuss gaining experience outside of collapsing NPC's and player-characters, and why I think the current implementation of GM rewards and house mission rewards aren't cutting it as the answer.

Both are good to have around, but one discourages players who can't play during prime time (but would like to gain experience through roleplaying), and the other has such an undefined line between being ineffective and abuse (which really begs the question about why there isn't a game-wide, GM set standard for how mission-board experience is gained each day).

Those two aside, other options need to be available to players. Questing for orbits, in my opinion, would be a much better alternative to hunting for a lot of people who are more casual players. If done correctly (weighting the players sphere against the difficulty of the task), people could progress AND interact, who may not have the time to spend hours each week collapsing NPC's. For those who already play a lot, NPC's might still be faster and more favorable to them, but at least they'd have an alternative. Bequeath could be repurposed for teachers for that purpose.

I'm also curious to hear other suggestions people have, as I'm sure they've given it more thought than I have.
Pickman
Dreamer

Re: Alternative Experience Gain

Post by Pickman »

As someone who is absolutely shit at the combat mechanics of this game, I strongly support this idea. I understand that there's obviously a skill barrier here, but I think a lot of people can agree that a 20+ year old combat system is simply not up to snuff. Being good at fighting in a really antiquated combat system shouldn't be the gateway to character growth.
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

Teaching art: Orbit - Consumes a quest codex for "Orbit", granting the receiver 250,000xp.

Teacher requirements:
Quest titles must indicate the sphere of the player requesting it.
Quests must be weighted appropriately for the sphere of the player, as any plat would at higher ranks.
Teacher must use Judgement on student prior to writing the quest AND awarding completion to ensure their sphere matches the quest.

A 250k cap would mean that higher level players would need to do more of them to orbit up, taking them longer. However, due to the way XP doesn't overflow from one orbit to another, a new player wouldn't go from Orbit 1-9 with a single quest. Early on it might make more sense to hunt/learn hunting which is good. Later in the game, it might make more sense to do both.
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

Blade wrote:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=701

Should have just bumped your previous post.
Oh wow, I completely forgot that existed! Two years ago is a long time. Obviously I haven't changed my mind on Bequeath not being the answer. And I really don't think it requires a lot of oversight, except maybe for dual focused mutants who don't have sphere caps anymore.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Re: EXP from Questing

Post by Koi-Spark »

Thanks for noticing that, Blade. I went ahead and merged the two separate posts so everyone can see the full discussion in one place again.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support