Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Tips for the casual UL'er? (Or: Help me have more fun!)

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Tary
Dreamer

Tips for the casual UL'er? (Or: Help me have more fun!)

Post by Tary »

I think the title really says it all. I used to have hours to dedicate to Underlight but now I'm lucky if I can dedicate an hour or two a week to it, if that. I want to play Underlight because I've always had fun doing it but so many of the game mechanics are predicated on investing time into playing and building a backstory and a character -- leaving grinding arts out for a moment.

My problem is really twofold I guess: I, like many of you, don't have the time, and the time I do have is greatly mis-aligned with everyone else except for Ger who probably doesn't sleep (seriously, I have no idea how you play during peak hours; I'm fast asleep by then).

So I'm wondering what tips you all might have to alleviate this. I want to build Tary up; I eventually want him to join a house and be a complete fanatic. I know the direction I want to lead Tary but I also know it's a matter of investing a lot of time with people around to see it and I just can't do that. Aside from fueling my caffeine addiction (I'm at 6 shots of espresso and a cup of coffee every day) even more what else can I do?
Sidious
Dreamer

Re: Tips for the casual UL'er? (Or: Help me have more fun!)

Post by Sidious »

Tary! Just rp for awhile, advance slower for now and just flesh out the character better than ever and introduce him to those who never met him.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Sidious wrote:Tary! Just rp for awhile, advance slower for now and just flesh out the character better than ever and introduce him to those who never met him.
I guess I should have explained: I don't care about advancement in the "I want more spheres/XP" sense. I meant more from the "I want him to join a house and do awesome stuff" sense. Building the character still takes time. I fully intend to do it slowly but I was wondering if that'll be at all effective.
Sidious
Dreamer

Post by Sidious »

Depends what you want to get out of it, I don't think any house is going to deny tary membership over limited play time.

And the game could use more fanatics
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

I vaguely remember being an enemy of taryags when SS was in GoE perhaps? Some 10-15 years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about it other then the fact that I really enjoyed hating you. What we were fueding over escapes my poor memory but I know it was fun and you were one of those characters that I always looked forward to running into, even though as I recall you were rarely around at that time as well. Because your playing time was minimal back then and I had fun with you, I'm sure you could figure something out still today. SS has a set schedule most of the time as well, since I work nights and have a family to tend to.

What I do is, I try to consistently play at exactly the same times every week. This creates consistency for my housemates and enemies alike to know when I will be around. As it is, a few friends know Ill be playing at those times so they also play at those times and we are able to do things even though it isn't exactly "prime" hours. II'm able to find time to enjoy myself through that consistency and then when I can actually play for a little while at other hours I don't have to spend all my time catching up on what'sgoing on because iI play enough to always stay in the loop and i pick activities to be involved in that don't require 50 players to be around. You would be surprised how many people start showing up at odd hours if they know that somebody will be around for them to interact with.
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Good thread this. You tend not to think of it, but "building a good character" takes a certain amount of playing time just as levelling arts does. You can decide what your character's like, but to do anything with that in the game, you have to demonstrate it enough times, in front of enough people, that other dreamers will actually know about it and act accordingly. I used to run into that quite a lot (I used to have awkward hours, too).

Keeping it simple probably helps, I'd say. That's what you would do in a book or a TV series. Don't bother about the details at first, just show off a few obvious characteristics to start with and you're ready to go quickly. You can add details later when you feel like it and the opportunity happens to arise, but meanwhile you've got enough out there for other people to work with. Sounds to me as if Tary's doing that pretty well. If I've got it straight, Taryag's a person who is rude and annoying, but this time around it turns out there's a fanatically serious purpose behind that, as opposed to just barging past everyone for no reason like he used to. That's only two things and both pretty easy to indicate and looking like fun. Good luck!
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.