Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Dreamseer Improvements

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Erasmus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Erasmus

Dreamseer Improvements

Post by Erasmus »

So, obviously I'm biased here as my only PC for 20 years has been a DS and I imagine that this will reach varying forms of criticisms, but I think over the years as we have increased the potency of other focii, DS has actually been weakened. Now, understand and read through it. I'm NOT asking for other focii to be nerfed. I think most are in a good place. DS had its heyday but now I think it's time to explore improvements. Remember, my PC is NOT a fighter, so combat fixes wouldn't even help me. This is an observation on the focus as a whole.

Here are some simple thoughts and observations.

1. Two of our signature MAJOR arts (Chamele and Vision) are available in commonly found alterors with durations LONGER than many or even most DS can evoke themselves. Why? They shouldn't be majors then. Again, these are signature to a DS theme.

2. We no longer add much threat or even support to combat. If parties were made like in MMORPGs, DS would be added last.
- Firestorm and Razorwind trump Blast by a mile now. Scare, Paralyze, Stagger, and Blind (really, not a DS art?!) now chew away at protective art durations making those majors more usefully.
- Poison (undefendable outside of Sable Shield) Cursee, Abjure, high level Restore, etc are CRAZY useful. Maybe even unbalancingly useful to have all in one focus.
- Bulwark was added to give additional shielding (albeit I can't comment on how effective it is or isn't) and the damage bonus is also a huge plus. Ward turns the tide of battles and is also a huge, huge game changer in fights. Reflect?

- Ivisibility isn't even really used anymore even though it wasn't before except for hunting, now it's useless for hunting. It's strictly only good for scouting.
- I said before, everyone gets easy access to two of our majors with very little effort.
- Blast has a line of sight restriction that most other distance damage arts (besides flame) don't have.
- What support arts do we have?
- Recharge and Combine are essentially the ONLY good arts that DS have. And yes, they are great. But so are many, many others in other focii named above. Add Return to a GKs list, Enfeeblement to an FSs list and I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

Proposed changes or ootions:

- Remove Chamele and Vision from alterors. They are the only majors available in them. Or:
- Make Chamele and Vision minors and replace with two
new USEFUL majors.
- Make two new effects that mimic the current Chamele
and Vision and create two new arts called Cloak and
Reveal that counter any Chamele or Vision alt effect,
but not Cloak and Reveal effects, allowing there to still
be ways to counter if a DS is in your party.

- Remove the LoS requirement from Blast.

- Tone down the restrictiins on Invisibility. At LEAST make it useful for hunting again. Make Reveal counter it (a DS major that is NOT in alterors, NOT forgeable has a short duration).

- This is the only nerf to another focus. Make Blind associated arts DS and replace them for FSs. Make the *new* Vision alterors only partially effective at countering.

There are some things I thought of that I forgot and may add later.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?