Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Stuff we'd like to know before launch

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Re: Stuff we'd like to know before launch

Post by Sidas »

Is the chat bug fixed? :-D
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

I think it shouldnt be out of the R or G area period. If its not in the open, it can not get stolen. :mrgreen:
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

People had connection problems in the past. A lot of you from the Mplayer days will recall this. I think I remember Lyra having the policy that "storms" were an IC roleplay and if something happened as a result of a storm you had to roll with it IC. I'm sure exceptions were made for extreme cases but its important to try to keep thing as IC as possible, even when it is a result of a bug because we have to be able to explain situations IC and can't always say stop, we gotta reset this or that and those events didn't happen because it was a tech issue that caused it. It becomes to difficult to police from a GM perspwctive unless it is a clear cut situation.

Best way to handle these conserns with prime items is take every precaution you can and try to make sure that this situations don't happen at all cost. Then when they do happen the GMs will have to handle it on a case by case policy as opposed to just having a standard that will allow people to try to cheat thw system or exploit loop hols.
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!
Koi-Drama
Founder

Post by Koi-Drama »

Eros wrote:There's still some Story/Gameplay questions I have that I thought would be good to know before launch. If anybody else has some to add, please feel free to do so.

1. What all is being redacted from the end of lyra-Underlight? Mares never invaded the shards? Did all the houses close down? At what point are we breaking off and saying everything after that point never happened? Or did it all happen and it was just a bad dream? (hah!)
The Lyra end-game story was excellent and well thought. However, it never accounted for a continuation of events and was written for finality of that canon. We wanted to go with a point of divergence that would allow us to use as much of that story as possible without sacrificing other aspects. We choose to go as far as all the houses being shut down and pick up from that point. For all intents and purpose, mares breaching Cloudsbreak and causing its destruction after the fall of the houses in Underlight has been "retcon-ed".

Eros wrote:2. How much time has passed since our characters have been able to enter the dream? 7 years or whatever for lyra-ul and almost 1 year for sot-ul? Have we just not been able to enter the dreamstate at all during that time or what?
Ten Years as far as Lyra's Underlight is involved and about a year for Shades of Truth. Although, time might be relative to a few in regards to the situation. Officially, as indicated in some of the entires and journals, there was a 'Second Great Loss' that occurred in Lyra's Underlight. However, it wasn't as massive as the original Great Loss. The Dark Mares were successful in nearly removing the entire dreaming population but they lost interest and moved on or perhaps forced to engage matters elsewhere. Dreamers began to resurface again after some time - that's the timeframe in which the entries are occurring.

After nearly a decade, old dreamers are returning, even ones thought to be forever lost. This occurred around the same time the Idoaclesians entered Underlight. Those events may be connected to one another but that is for the dreamers to explore and investigate the details.

Eros wrote:3. What happened to the people who were dreamstruck? Were they in a coma all this time? Were they not able to enter the dreamstate? Are they dead on their shard? Is illumination the one true belief?
The details revolving around the DreamStruck dreamers returning is all intertwined with the events surrounding the "Clash of Dreams". Each player/dreamer will be given the opportunity to play out their fate. It will be up to their peers on whether they wish to accept it as truth or falsehood. At some point, we will be exploring this further, in-character, as all events may hold a connection that runs deeper than previously suspected.

Eros wrote:4. Are dragons allowed? Humanoids only? Panthers/Unicorns?
Please maintain a humanoid appearance in the Dream. Dreamers have always been humans on their shards in Cloudsbreak. You can always be a human with dragon features, however, do not expect everyone to perceive you as a full dragon creature breathing flames and flying about like something out of Game of Thrones.

Eros wrote:5. Some things were pretty much always allowed, even though they were exploits, like double warding, pocket warding, hiding evocation cones, climbing, etc. How are things like that going to be handled?
Certain 'traditional bugs' will be exempted such as double wards and pocket wards as they have been part of the Lyra/SoT since the game was still in its infancy. However, climbing to gain an unfair advantage in combat will not be tolerated.

Any attempts to knowingly exploit "bugs" will be considered as abuse of the client/game and will be treated accordingly. First time offenders will be addressed with a warning. Continuous offenses by a player will be dealt in a escalating fashion including but not limited to experience loss, suspension, and/or termination. All terminations will be final.

I hope that clears up any concerns you may have had. Thank you for bringing these questions forward and allowing me to address them personally.
“I try to bring the audience's own drama, tears and laughter they know about, to them.”