Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Wild Dual Focus Idea

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Rafael
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rafe, Takalia

Wild Dual Focus Idea

Post by Rafael »

After discussions with many in and out of the dream about dual focus came to realization. As the dream has changed we have not changed to go along in all that we could with the existing game mechanics. Many of us have had alts of the focuses we looked at in interest and we often created our alts in those focus. So suggestion to think on is dropping start levels of dual to even beginning the dream as DUAL and opening dual to ALL dreamers now? If i could this moment i would choose Soul Master to go with my existing Seer. How many others would do it now?
The dream is out there, we can make it real
~Rafaella
HarleyofCienn

Re: Wild Dual Focus Idea

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8=====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cedar
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nmoto

Post by Cedar »

I think this could be a really interesting game setting, but I'd prefer it--thematic-wise and balance-wise--if it came with some constraints. For example, starting a new 'city' and only newly created characters could do this. That way there could be room to explore the IC reasons why those who access this city have a different 'focal potential', than others who access other dream cities. Alternatively, from the game-balance perspective, it would be interesting if there was a limit on what a character could learn from arts (ex. you've 3 new arts available to you at this sphere, but you can only learn 2 of them).

If it were to happen now I probably wouldn't do it, because I don't think it makes much sense for my character. Part of the intrigue for me in character creation is 'why is your character this focus, and how do they realize it (or not) as they progress in character development?' Dropping in a dual focus now would dramatic shift in character direction for my character. But that's just me.

If it were a new character, I'd probably roll up a soulmaster + fatesender. I think that combo could be a lot of fun, and I don't have much experience playing a resilience based character :)
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I'd be more inclined to say that people could go Dual focus once they'd learned all of the arts of their primary focus, instead of coming in dual focused. Each focus has it's own quirks and abilities that give unique combat and roleplaying options, and I don't think that diluting that would be a good thing. My thoughts on it anyway :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Rafael
Dreamer

Post by Rafael »

ALL of us vary in how and when we dream along with goals. My idea is more to encourage more to dream by increasing variety of focus options. I can see rationel for one, the whole idea of this came from an existing dual focus that i talked with to begin. it was his suggestion of possible beginning dreams this way. If i could do it now and follow the same rules, being unable to teach till SM same sphere. yes complications but from one view, fun
Last edited by Rafael on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Rafaella
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I was working on a proposal to allow dual focusing starting at 5th, the downside being that your secondary focus could not surpass your primary, so if you were a GK and went SM secondary at 59, when you got back around to 59 you would revert to GK and not be able to become SM again, meaning your SM arts would never go above 50 plat.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Rafael
Dreamer

Post by Rafael »

If I could do it today, i would go Soul Master. We can't know, unless the powers that be let us try. so i should put it out there as testing idea.
~Rafaella