Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

One-shot RP Point evokes should suck less

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Tary
Dreamer

One-shot RP Point evokes should suck less

Post by Tary »

Currently the RP Point dialog blocks all usage of anything else, and "buying" a one-shot art evoke takes a long time. For strictly RP purposes that's fine, but if you want to purchase a one-time evoke because you - say - want to evoke Razorwind in a battle situation, you're almost certain to be collapsed beforehand.

My suggestion would be that rather than immediately beginning evocation after you buy the art, it should instead temporarily add it to your Arts list. The addition would be temporary until you log out, and if you don't use the art you lose the RP points (alternatively we could make it so that it adds it for, like, an hour or something, and then if you don't use it you lose the points but that would be more annoying to implement for me ;) ).
rWilricson
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Will Ricson

Re: One-shot RP Point evokes should suck less

Post by rWilricson »

Couldn't doing that be considered OOC tho? If you RP it or there's nobody else around then sure, but a gatekeeper suddenly razorwinding a room just because?

I think it could work, but we'd have to incorporate RP points into the game in the same way xp is. Technically OOC but also a part of the dreamstate that also makes sense from an IC perspective

A potential high tier sphere task right there.
The Mistress squeezes Will Ricson, a sharp cut smile forms across her face
The Mistress: sssexy and juicey
Synteny: I can't.
Harkyn

Post by Harkyn »

You can actually already do this by using Evoke an Art once while you're in nightmare form.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Harkyn wrote:You can actually already do this by using Evoke an Art once while you're in nightmare form.
Thanks for the bug report. :)
Cedar
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nmoto

Post by Cedar »

Not too push back on the original post too much.. I've gotten a lot of roleplay value out of RP point evokes. Mechanics-wise, most of it has been: setup the emote that you want to have precede the evoke, then get the evoke going, before switching back to the emote and committing it.

To be honest, I haven't ever tried using it in battle. While not an elegant solution, I suppose you could queue up the art you wanted cast at whatever plateau, click anywhere else on the screen to lose focus on RP point evoke window (but still have it up), and then whenever you're ready to evoke it, just click on the OK button back on the Use Roleplay Points window. But, I like your idea too, Tary.

To rWilricson's point, IMO I think it depends on the player, and how you want to have your character 'justify' the ability/effect of whatever happens. Past example: Nmoto doesn't have darkness, but he 'built' up a few smoke canisters for a project to block out the light coming from an opening in the ceiling. He readies the canisters, and times them appropriately to go off. Enter the RP point evoke to cast Darkness on the room, in timed execution. Am I using in-game-provided, OOC tools to get the roleplay effect? Totally. Is it breaching OOC? I really dont think so.
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

I think that you have hit the nail on the head with the one-time evoke. I think as long as you have a valid RP that you choose to use for the art, you are using it appropriately. Even if it isn't for an RP but as an add-on, it is probably fine. I would suggest that using them for battle, unless rp'ed, might be a bit distasteful, the whole point of RP art evoking is to do something fantastically outside the norm. There is a high cost for many arts and therefore not really at risk of being abused en mass.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Uthy has been dealing with a lot of things which has changed his outlook and temperment, for several months now, he has been putting up and shattering wards, that sort of thing, which leans into the whole thing. The system is cumbersome, but it is intended for RP, not active art use, so I really don't have a problem with it as is.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

I like the idea of being able to 'buy' a number of evokes of any art so that you can easy evoke when the time comes. I want to be able to buy 5 evokes so I can evoke them continuously whenever I want. Making it an IC vs OOC issue is kinda dumb. The whole use-rp and filling out a form each time seems a bit OOC to me. The fact that you have RP points (OOC) should be translated IC as you having extra powers and abilities.

I disagree with some of you that this should only be done through a "proper RP". Everything that happens in-game is an RP so you shouldnt necessarily have to explain every step that you make. That actually takes the fun out of it, for me at least. If I want to blast your asses off with an art that I don't have, I don't want to warn you or have to explain myself. Everyone should know that if I evoke an art that I don't have, there's only one possible way to do that, legally. So why don't the spectators follow the RP rather than getting pissy about it?