Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

10th Sphere

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

10th Sphere

Post by Tember »

To reduce the boredom that comes along after having reached 9th sphere, I have a few suggestions.

Reaching 10th sphere would just be maxing out 9th, no reset or sphere tasking.

10th sphere- able to use their dual focus chakrams.

Also, able to learn the restricted arts that they were not allowed to learn previously.

The XP amount between orbits reduced a little bit, the current range is Ridic. Not to mention the loss that they would lose if going into a fight- which would even keep someone like me from wanting to fight. :x

Sphere crest color changes.

Currently we only have a handful of 9th sphere, but that won’t always be the case, and after seeing people lose interest because there isn’t anywhere to progress from, I thought this would be a great incentive to keep playing.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Re: 10th Sphere

Post by -Lacie- »

Ok, well there's boredom and there's laziness. I like the idea of 10th sphere, but why not make it something special?

I agree with the just get there requirement. Hell, it has to be a chore to actually GET to 10th sphere, sure.

Dual focus chakrams... well yea... absolutely!

Restricted Arts they couldn't get/use before????? No! No way, no how, I don't care WHO you know, no anything... NO!

XP figures and color changes for the crest, sure.

How about being able to learn a third Focus? Tri-Focus????? There would be a challenge. Same requirements, same restrictions on Arts, but the Arts of a THIRD focus?

This would be in keeping with the overall roleplay with Underlight. We Dreamers aspire to become like our Elders, and this would keep in line with that aspiration. Tenth sphere would be a new thing, so it really should have something NEW about it.

Just my $1.50 worth....

~Lacie~
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

Whoa whoa. Calm down missy! You’re gonna give yourself a hernia. Boredom is not because they’re lazy, but because they have reached the main goal that a lot of players strive for. If they were actually lazy they wouldn’t be 9th sphere and have done all the work to reach it.

But, really I do like the idea of bringing a third focus into the mix, and it being “special” at 10th, just like 9th is.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I have actually been tossing around the idea of putting forth being able to get third and fourth foci. Once you max eighth you go around for the second focus and get ninth, then do the remaining two once you've maxxed ninth
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Harkyn

Post by Harkyn »

I can tell you that right now with Harkyn being dual focus and back up to 6th, I'm already seeing very little reason to continue advancing and gaining any more spheres. You lose such a rediculous amount of xp on collapse at those higher spheres and you gain very little in return for this risk. The only real reason I have for advancing past this point is for forge and if I had somebody else with forge 90 making me stuff, I wouldn't even need that.

I came up with the list of excluded arts originally. Being able to use the secondary's focus chakrams was excluded because that would also give them the focal bonus as well. You probably don't want a dreamseer blasting you and having the gk bonus. Or a gk to be able to deafen you and stack the FS bonus on top of their GK bonus, making lvl 60s do 50 damage every hit. Not to mention, it would hurt the trading aspect of the game if you can use 50% of the chakrams that gen, but having double focal bonuses is the bigger issue.

Being able to learn a third or 4th focus might be cool as long as the art restrictions remained in place. You wouldn't want somebody to have both abjure and paralyze for example.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

Oh boy! Sorry SugarBritches!

I just saw this and went for the Fruit Loops....

To reduce the boredom that comes along after having reached 9th sphere...

I mean.... I dunno about anyone else, but if Lace was 9th sphere, boredom wouldn't be a thing...just saying...

And Uthy, I think it would be cool too but 3rd at 10th, 4th at 11th, and then Supreme Being, coughs I mean Elder-ish at 12th.

Dream big or go home, right???? :lol:
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

My main point....10th sphere so that even 9th sphere have somewhere else to go instead of becoming stagnant.

I see good points here and think that the core idea can be tweaked to fit in with the game.

What about instead of it being called 10th sphere, having it called something different completely. Kind of like how movies are made in sequence, part 1..2..3 etc, so the “10th” becomes something like “Sphere sugar britches” —-> bad one but you see my point :lol:

Someone should get a sphere task to make it happen :p
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I submitted a proposal to the GM's about this a little bit ago. Not 10th sphere, since my one room mate just looked at me and told me point blank: "It's not possible without basically re-writing the game". But about adding other foci, and a couple of art changes to allow for later learning of "Focus Exclusive" arts as minors. One of the GM's may be able to share the proposal (I can't remember the exact details of it off hand).
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

Just because you get 9th sphere it means youre at the end of the game? Shouldn't this game be about roleplaying? Me personally ive always thought that being at 9th sphere creates a totally new game for you now. You can do more roleplay wise and help more players and get more things moving in the game. If you get 9th sphere and get bored that just means you arent playing the game right. In my own opinion.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Not sure where the idea that the 9th Sphere people were "bored with 9th Sphere" or "lazy" came from? Pretty sure it didn't come from either of people who are there.

As for the OP, it's an interesting concept that would need to be checked and balanced. Also want to continue maintaining the uniqueness of the different foci.
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

I don't think an added sphere is the way to go make your gameplay experience better or to feed the ego of your character.

If anything, you will be too busy gaining XP to do anything else. And if you don't continuously gain XP, you better stay away from danger because you can't afford the losses of a collapse. 7th, 8th, 9th sphere losses are bad as it is, can't imagine a 10th sphere loss.

However, if this is done, I 'could' do an RP to target the highest spheres, get a gang together just to collect your energy because that would A) be the best source of energy for me and my crew however it would B) demotivate you from playing pretty quick. Another sphere doesn't make you better at defending yourself. I would predict anyone who achieved 10th sphere wouldn't keep it long unless they simply gave up combat.
Koi-Palloi
Senior GameMaster

Post by Koi-Palloi »

I think XP loss numbers are probably worth looking at in the near future. Not sure what the data looks like at the moment but I know everything at 6th sphere + is pretty brutal. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity. Khalil Gibran