Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Energy from Nightmares

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Re: Energy from Nightmares

Post by Yuritau »

Even if you make Shams give 50 and Horrons give 100, you're never going to get close to how fast a Soulmaster can harvest energy from Trapping Bogroms. So I'm all for giving the other foci a better method.
Starfall
Dreamer

Post by Starfall »

I'd recommend relatively low numbers, on the order of 1, 3, 5, 10. That's still an improvement on the current situation that eases the burden on SMs without flipping the situation so that only the most dedicated SMs make a noticeable impact.
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison
Celelond
Dreamer

Post by Celelond »

I have trap 50. At times, I get bogs with one evoke, but just as often, it takes me more than the res I have in my pool.
Keep in mind that a blade costs only the initial evoke, Trap costs 10 an evoke. If you planning changes, keep that in mind please.
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

My main argument to this change is just the simple fact that as it stands a SM is valued to houses very highly because of Trap. For example, back when we opened GoE we moved Sage X up to guardian mainly just because we wanted him to be able to put his trapped essences straight into the prime so we didn't have to delay growth due to essence rooms being full as well as characters packs being full while they waited on a house leader to take the essences.

Soumaster's have half a shoe in for house leadership if they "dream" regularly and have a level 50 trap. If we change the game and make it possible for everyone to be able to get more strength on the essences this weakens the strength of Soulmasters in the game and gives them one less reason to pick a character of that focus. Really abjure is beneficial during war time but what if your house isn't at war? SM's rely on Trap being one of their character strengths to get them ahead in the game.

I like the idea for increasing essence strength by nightmare level as long as we make sure to keep it low enough that SMs can still exploit the benefits of trap.
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

You can do both at the same time, tbh.

Why not up the strength of mares to something like: E - 1, B - 5, A - 10, S - 50, H - 500 and then modify trap to be a multiplier instead of a "health left" thing. So either each plat or a mod on the level of Trap would multiply against the natural strength of the mare and create an even stronger essence.

This allows for non-SMs to build up strength quickly while SMs still get to fly up the primes.
Koi-Ember

Post by Koi-Ember »

Obviously, I have a *slight* advantage, but I gathered 2500 energy in 8 minutes in Cenotaph of Dread, trapping Bogroms, Agoknights and Shamblix. I didn't look at the energy amounts, was just focused on speed. I'm just one voice, but I agree that some sort of essence boost is in order. A well-stocked Soulmaster could go to town with even just one partner distracting. And I don't think supplies will be an issue either, looking at previous genning trends in Lyra and Shades of Truth. Advantages are supposed to be cumbersome, but I don't foresee other focii ever matching Soulmaster pace, even with an essence increase.
Celelond
Dreamer

Post by Celelond »

You might want to try it as a SM with 50 trap.

At 50 it is no use trying to trap anything beyond a bog and be efficient in any way.

And even then, this is not uncommon at all, 10 res per evoke.
17:56:27: Trap Nightmare failed - you need a clear line of sight to the targets vulnerable area
17:56:29: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:56:32: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
17:56:34: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:56:35: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
17:56:37: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:56:38: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
17:56:40: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:56:41: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
(removed the emote of draining essence)
17:57:14: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:57:22: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
17:57:24: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:57:26: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
17:57:28: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:57:29: Bogrom has resisted your attempt to trap it!
(once again, needed to drain essence)
17:58:14: You begin evoking Trap Nightmare
17:58:21: You evoke Trap Nightmare on Bogrom!
17:58:24: You have gained 250 XP!

Please note the time as well.

I went though all my SM's logs in beta, on average 4-5 evokes per trapped bog.
This means your Res is often used up or very low after trapping one bog.

Personally don't mind any more what people do to the classes, but after what I saw in a post about SoT changes messing up the balance that was fine in Lyra.

If you worried about a SM's trap, get one on your side, I worry about being trapped in a room, being blasted repeatedly and a whole bunch of other things.

Just seems to me this is only an issue because people might need to compete to open a house.