Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

RP points

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Elmer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Elmer

RP points

Post by Elmer »

Possible to increase the number we can give out and/or decrease the time between? I can't imagine this being "abused" but maybe as a safeguard, require that we put why we are giving the point in the box that pops up, sometimes i get lazy about that, but usually do write a word or two about why i've given it.

R
Whisperer>>elms<<Naturalist
-Greed breeds destruction-
-You'll only ever see what I choose to show you-
-Manners are free-
-The Music of Nature fills the cracks in the mind that words will never reach-
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Re: RP points

Post by Black Cloud »

Yeah, especially since the ability to gain sphere, art plats and dreamsoul has been removed
Coraal
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Coraal

Post by Coraal »

So, quick thing: why not bring back at least the ability to sphere with rp points? With this community as small as it is, and the full dependency on teachers that might not be available for your dreaming times, and Elders who may, or may, not appear even semi-regularly; this is an excellent way to return some ability back into the hands of the players. You don't have to allow for Arts and Plats, those can still be worked for. But I really don't see the problem with getting a sphere with rp points. Without the ability to also raise the Arts/Plats, it's not like you have any benefit other than further access to the City and extra DreamSoul. Just my thoughts. Thanks!
~¢~
No one saves us but ourselves.
No one can and no one may.
We ourselves must walk the path.
Buddha
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

With the multi-focal option available at 8th sphere, I'd suggest the reverse actually Coraal. Allow plats with RP points, but not sphere's.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Spheres are major achievements. As Arnaya mentioned, plateaus would be one thing, but spheres should not be easily obtained. Tasks should promote roleplay, they shouldn't be treated like a chore as they often are. And if you find that they are, try seeking out things that truly interest you.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

I've noticed a disturbing trend recently with sphere tasks and the apparent need to make them easier. I know exactly where this started, too. But I digress.

I know Frey caught a ton of grief for his pet adoption for his 4th sphere, even though it led us to some memorable rp (who could forget Dina's black ####?)
But what hurt the most is that frey understood that they were partially correct, even if the point was to help him get over his crippling stage fright.. the fact that it was a sphere task demanded a higher standard than that. It basically cheapened what should have been a proud accomplishment and taught us both a valuable lesson.

Lately I notice a cheapening of sphere tasks. Coming surprisingly from some of those same people who gave Frey that grief. Tasks that not only were trivial, but a vast degree of the research and planning seemed to come from the actual giver of the tasks. There's something very wrong in that.

Personally, I held the Locate teacher events, some good some bad admittedly. But I put a lot of thought and effort towards them and ended up very proud of what he'd accomplished, what he'd learned, and hopefully what outcome it will provide. If there was only a single attendant I would schedule another immediately and realize that that event didn't count toward my goal. These are things I learned from my experience with previous spheres and a knowledge of their importance.. Knowing that every step should be held with a higher standard than Frey thought himself possible previously. As a result he can honestly say he's never been so proud of an accomplishment. I'm pretty proud of it myself. THAT's what sphere tasks are for.. outdoing yourself and inspiring others with your efforts. At least to me.

Clearly some in the dream feel that the goal is more important than the journey. We've seen it before and even very recently. Frankly the way I see it is this way. We don't play underlight because of the graphics. We play it for the story. Some of our stories are great, some aren't as much, but the story IS the game for all intents and purposes. To try to take the easy way is what you do in Warcraft.

Bottom line.. passionless play is POISON to this community. To advance through passionless play is even worse. By FAR.

Oh, and sphere task standards should definitely be addressed by the MT's as soon as possible. Y'all should count yourself lucky that Frey cant be there to participate.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Word to my brotha Frey....My reccommendation...Require approval and preliminary reporting of all sphere tasks to Uthy, prior to granting them....then everyone would have to live up to THOSE standards. #reasonsUthydoesn'thaveahalo
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Dina

Post by Dina »

What's funny is that those that complained about Frey's task not ONCE went to Dina about it lol. But then again, they probably know that Dina would have shoved her new black #### (pet) in their face and told them to suck it.

Yeah yeah, I know part of that will get deleted...

However, sphere tasks should mold the dreamer and help them get over obstacles. It is a part of growing up in UL. I don't think spheres should be rp point available. I do agree with plats. Dina has a stash of many tasks that get picked up...looked at...then placed down over and over.
fr3y
Dreamer

Post by fr3y »

Dina knows that Frey loves to complain about tasks more than anyone, and he's definitely complained to her more than anyone.. and right up to the report stage. But there's a sense of accomplishment that comes with completing those same reports that can't be replicated. He didn't choose her as a mentor because it was easy.

And if anyone deserves to advance through RP it's coraal. He's an amazing character. But as for setting a precedent it's a bad bad move. Especially using rp points. Large groups could use that as an obvious exploit and as they're OOC by nature they should have as little to do with the dream as possible.

Besides all that, if your hunger to advance isn't greater than the effort you're willing to put into it, then you're probably right where you should already be.

fr3y
Dreamer

Post by fr3y »

Uthy.
Clearly it's just a matter of time, you may as well get started bro.. You have a couple great mentors right in front you.

Elmer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Elmer

Re: RP points - use suggestion

Post by Elmer »

Another suggestion for RP points. 1 time use forge. make it expensive. It would be great to be able to do this and would spur on some great roleplay too, somebody chiseling away at something who is not sphere 5, a gift, a tool, something needed for an important project.
just a thought.

R.
Whisperer>>elms<<Naturalist
-Greed breeds destruction-
-You'll only ever see what I choose to show you-
-Manners are free-
-The Music of Nature fills the cracks in the mind that words will never reach-