Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Knocked down a few spheres

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
HiRoGIiFiQ
Dreamer

Knocked down a few spheres

Post by HiRoGIiFiQ »

I don't like the idea of getting spheres taken away to level the playing field... If we make a new character could we avoid this disaster until the community catches up?
Miriel
Dreamer

Re: Knocked down a few spheres

Post by Miriel »

I could see dropping back the spheres, halos, train levels etc. which were given away during the last couple of weeks of Lyra UL. Some of them were in fact things which people had worked for and just not had awarded earlier, others were simply given away because the game was ending and it didn't matter anymore. But up till the last few weeks, things were earned just as they always had been.

I would hate to have to bring back Samarina as a 3rd sphere. She hadn't been 3rd since Oct 1998! Like everyone else, she worked for her spheres, arts and train levels and I really don't know that I could face doing all that over again. That was one reason I never had alts in Lyra UL--didn't want to put in the time and effort on another character.

Edited to add:
I have no hard numbers, but my feeling from observation over the 9 years of Lyra UL is that we lost more people from frustration that they couldn't find teachers and sphere teachers to advance than we lost new players who got frustrated because they thought they could never catch up. If Clash starts with everyone knocked back to 3rd sphere, we're going to need a lot of dedicated teaching GMs till we get a decent population of Dreamers back to higher spheres and train levels.
Zykium
Dreamer

Post by Zykium »

Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

I am in agreement

My suggestion is this: instead of docking everyone down to third sphere, allow freshly made characters to -begin- at third sphere. That way they can reach almost all the room content right away, and they have available lots of nifty arts and levels that make them actually matter from the get go. This way new players dont feel like they are hopelessly behind, and the old ones dont feel like they got robbed blind.

edit: and yeah the last couple weeks should be reviewed, free trains/spheres = not cool
Star Scream
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Star Scream

Post by Star Scream »

This subject is such a downer. Today, I am married with three children and a very demanding job. Much like most of you I am sure. The idea of finding time to do the things that I did in the past to get back what my characters already had makes me not even want to play the game. Honestly, I'd likely log in to get that old buzz, visit special places to recall fond memories, and visit old friends and talk about fond memories.. Then I'd probably rarely play just because I would have a character that I would feel is to weak to compliment more role playing style. Star Scream is not a character that should be able to get tasks from just anybody. Much like Kaer GeRRoZ. How would he and I ever blossom in a game that reset our levels after all the enemies that we created? In order for us to advance we would have to make a complete OOC decision to recreate our characters personalities and kiss a lot of asses, just to get a chance to get quests and still likely never get back what we lost because the community would probably have restrictions on how much power they would allow a "evil" character to get. Not to say that GeRR or Star Scream are "evil" characters but just to point out how they have been perceived at times through Lyra history and I don't want to change my character, it took years to become Star Scream and the evolution of that character changed how I enjoyed games for the rest of my life. I mean, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic became a favorite game of mine just because of the "Dark side" angle you could follow. Characters like Star Scream, Kaer GERRoZ (who is both a close friend of mine in the game as well as a hero of mine out of the game for all the fun and chaos he created for us all to enjoy), Sidious Tryhnak, and so forth. Hell, even Menson. These characters and many more gave us something to play for in the last days of the game but their IC deeds should still be a part of the game when it starts back up so how would they ever advance realisticly if they were to lose everything they had when Lyra shut down?

Wow, this post went much longer then I intended it to.. Sorry about that. Case and point for those who don't want to read the whole thing is; Characters in the Lyra-UL that were widely regarded as "bad guy" characters like Star Scream, Kaer GeRRoZ, Sidious Tryhnak, Menson, and RavenXR would have consequences for past offenses within the Underlight community that should keep them from being able to advance as easily as others. Taking levels and arts from players will make it impossible for some of us to recover without changing our characters drasticly which would just be terrible RPing and take away alot from our enjoyment of the game. So sorry for dragging this out.. Once I got started, you know?
If you win the Lotto, throw me a GRAND!
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support