Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Teaching changes

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Erasmus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Erasmus

Teaching changes

Post by Erasmus »

I've debated recommending these changes, because of the potential backlash, but they seem to be well-received amongst most I've mentioned it to so here goes.

1. Standard Teachers should have access to Train Self. Give an alternative to completing basic quests for Teachers by allowing them to self-improve arts via supports like MTs have today.

2. Here is the controversial one. Allow interviews to count as acceptable tasks for support tokens of any kind. "Mini quests" seem silly to me because you often find yourself doing more work on 5 or 6 mini quests than you would for a standard task. If you are "supporting" someone for a plateau, why should an interview not count? They still have to interview X number of times and the supporter can still decline support or require additional work before the support is given if they de it necessary, but don't *require* a mini quest for every support if an interview gets what the supporter needs to lend support.

3. Allow Master Teachers the ability to train all arts up to their plateau in Train. This alleviates the need for more Teachers of a given focus. There are a couple ways to accomplish this.

3a. Code it to where an art cannot be evoked without the corresponding focus art. IE Blast cannot be evoked without DreamSeer; but a GateKeeper MT can train it.

3b. Even better would be to create an Art called Master Train that when evoked would bring up an interface like Forge that you could choose the focus of the art to be trained, the Arts of that focus as a second selection and third would be a plateau option. 0, 10, 20, 30; etc. This could be the art that the double halo or better yet, the multi-colored halo would be tied to to better differentiate Mater Teachers for new players.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Erasmus on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: Teaching changes

Post by Arnaya »

1) Regular teachers already have Support Train, I think you meant: "Train self". Sounds cool to me, though without something from #3... its pretty much useless for focus majors for everyone except Dreamseers. Be nice for some of the Dreamsoul arts though.

2) This one I wouldn't support. I don't know if anyone else does this, but often I'll use mini's to get odd little things done that Arnaya simply doesn't have time to get done herself. This is especially true if #1 is implemented.

3) Option 3B would be the one I'd back really, though I LOVE the idea of arts not being usable without the focus art (Despite the fact that Arnaya Really wants to learn Shatter) I'd suggest arts not known by the teacher only be trainable to 20 below train level though. Otherwise it removes a lot of the incentive for people to become teachers. Probably an MT only art too.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Erasmus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Erasmus

Post by Erasmus »

Yep. You're right. I meant Train Self, not Support Train.

As far as the support requirement goes, the teacher that is lending support can give any task they want, but an interview would be a supported *option* in my proposal.

And yeah, "Master Train" or whatever we would call it would be for Master Teachers only.
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8=====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

1. I hate to be "that one", but I would highly oppose this. Master Teachers are supposed to be held with a higher standard, which is why they take on more responsibilities. Those responsiblities require them to have higher arts than most teachers, and Train Self eases some of the tasking strain. If *all* teachers had Train Self, what would set them apart from MTs? They would be reaping the only reward MTs have without having to put in the extra work.

2. Mini quests are not supposed to be extremely difficult, and if they are, then certain teachers may be writing them to be harder than they should be. They recently lessened the Support requirement, actually.

3. If MTs did have all arts raised to their current train level, we would eventually run into a problem when it came time for them to complete their 9th sphere task and take on a second focus. The 9th sphere task is to learn and plateau all of the allowed arts of the 2nd focus you choose.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.