Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

FateSender AE Overhaul

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

FateSender AE Overhaul

Post by PKChrisChan »

We should completely overhaul the FateSender AEs(Darkness, Hypno Weave, Terror, even RazorWind. Perhaps HA*not FS of course*!!! FireStorm could remain as it is now). These arts should be a sort of target radius skill, with radii about the same as pain/scare aura(like DarkMares). The arts will effect those inside the radii of the -target- selected. Those unaffected will not see the arts, even if they are in the same room. These arts also follow party rules; if the target is in party, they will only hit non party members in the area - it will only harm people outside of the party and inside the radius that AEs can hit. Additionally, if positioned correctly this allows for these effects to bypass Reflect!

Most importantly, this setup gives us more balancing tools for radius arts. In theory, Range was a great way to adjust things - powerful arts can have a very short radius of effect and therefore become more interesting/balanced. Positional tactics will play quite a bit into using the arts correctly.

Finally, this new setup currently has no 'counters' or removal. This can be a temporary measure, but I believe radius, art evoke speeds, and levels are balance tools enough. We can shorten the duration of some of these to make them feel like a real threat.

This also sets up the Focus for further additions. FateSender is currently very unpopular focus, and I think this will give the game the tools to create very powerful new art effects that people might actually want to use in large scale battles. This is also a very powerful tool for support-esque dreamers.

Example situation:

Peace Corpse and DoL are at it again - Sorsha finds herself in the middle of a battle. She sees her party members Lu Chaos and Black Cloud fighting 2 dreamers at once. She evokes Razorwind on Black Cloud (doesn't effect him but does the two dreamers in close proximity to where he is standing). Nathan comes in beside and abjures a few dreamers and she evokes Hypno Weave! Bingo! She got Frey who didn't use his FA alt in time!

She evokes a second time on one of the three dreamers who just entered the room at the same time. All three took a 60 darkness for standing in such close proximity to one another!

Just throwing ideas out there. Discuss.

edit: small little error
Last edited by PKChrisChan on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: FateSender AE Overhaul

Post by Arnaya »

I love the idea of the Aura arts, this is a bit of a twist on what's been proposed elsewhere for those. I'd personally like to see the break through raised a little (Despite knowing that Arnaya would have to suck alterors dry), just because it takes forever for 1 to 2 minute wear downs to get through 20 to 40 minutes of a protection art. The duration of the Fatesender arts is pretty good now I think, but maybe go with a 4 or 5 times instead of a 3 times for reduction of protective art duration?

That does get a little dicy with Curse again, but this time the art instead of Chaks.

I'm not sure I'd want to take the general AoE arts from FS though, but maybe give them an Aura Infliction art that would let them select another art effect to apply?
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I'd actually say a new string of arts. I know we try to keep the arts balanced and all that, but if Senders could learn a series of auras and I'm just gonna pull something off the top of my head without researching anything so here goes. Assume the aura duration is 30 seconds plus 10 seconds per plat, that would mean a 50 plat aura evoke would last 80 seconds and would NOT be stackable, it would toggle and only one aura could be active at a time, meaning they couldn't just run around with an aura on all day, they'd have to use it situationally, but give it a quick evoke, start at 2 seconds with a .16 second reduction per plat, meaning 90 plat would be right about half a second. Effect duration could be based off the respective art at the same plat. Now that that is out of the way, progression....as follows.

Art---------- Orbit
Deafen---------40
Scare-----------50
Paralyze--------60
Blind------------70
Razorwind-----80

Razorwind would probably need to be toned down a bit to a stable damage point 3-5 per tick or something with added bleed effect.....again, zero research, just a rampant idea.

Addendum: We can throw stagger in there somewhere too if we wanted them to get their first aura at third
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Arnaya wrote:I love the idea of the Aura arts, this is a bit of a twist on what's been proposed elsewhere for those. I'd personally like to see the breakthrough raised a little
I can agree wholeheartedly on the improving the breakthrough. If a FateSender is evoking his/her art on you. It should have at least a chance to penetrate albeit perhaps a drastically reduced duration. It takes time and lucidity to constantly spam paralysis/scare/everything. While the target could laugh and click on an insta 20-40 minutes charge and resume fighting.
I'm not sure I'd want to take the general AoE arts from FS though
I can see that from a RP perspective, but tools can be added to replicate the effects. I.E. Maybe a GM command that extends the radius roomwide etc. Otherwise, this focus/arts will continue to never be used. Everyone is DS/SM for a reason.

Many games like underlight had the same issue as this one. I remember one with a bard school which did pretty much the same thing as FateSender and had the EXACT problem. They, like FateSender AEs were never used. When they introduced my idea of radius', they were used and in almost every fight.
But maybe give them an Aura Infliction art that would let them select another art effect to apply?

AWESOME idea, mechanically it could work the way that Quest does when you select the art you want and turn it into an aura that ticks your element every few seconds. Call it Auralize (wordcombiner.com) and we just made the newest FateSender Major!

I'm just gonna pull something off the top of my head without researching anything so here goes.
All very good ideas for consideration.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

The problem I see with this is that Fatesenders already have an insane amount of arts to learn and plateau. It would probably be better to improve what they already have instead of adding more to the slog.

As for everyone being a DS/SM. I personally made Dreiko to "try out" DS. Only reason I kept him for Clash of Dreams is he was my highest leveled character. It was probably just pure dumb luck that a majority of people that came to play CoD ran Seers.