Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Art Idea: Reclaim

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Art Idea: Reclaim

Post by Cherokee »

Gatekeeper art: Reclaim
It's a very limited art, that can only be used once per dream (or maybe once a week?). If a GK's Amulet somehow becomes lost or stolen, they could track them down and evoke the art in the same room of the suspect. If the suspect, or anyone else in the room currently holds an amulet of the evoker, they would be returned to him/her. It could take a high cost of Will, and have a longer evoke (maybe 15 seconds?) - giving the thief ample time to flee.

I know I've shared this idea at one point awhile back, but I thought I'd mention it again as an alternative to the 1 charge Amulet VS. infinite charge debate. I agree that there should be some risk if a GK hands out their amulet to someone, or has one in their pack and it drops after being collapsed. But I don't think it should be so out of reach, that a GK couldn't get it back if they wish to pursue the thief. So I thought this might even things out and even inspire some fun RPs - although, I do like the reduction of charges each plat, that Sidas mentioned on another thread.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Celelond
Dreamer

Re: Art Idea: Reclaim

Post by Celelond »

I like the idea. but maybe just let the GK/room know who has it?

My logic is that this might make for more rp opportunities?
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Well, that would definitely make it easier..but I think if the GK was made certain via a mechanic emote or something of the like, it would dissolve possible investigating/tracking roleplays.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Onyx
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Onyx Nightblade, Onyx Nightstorm

Post by Onyx »

I'm not so sure that this would inspire some fun roleplaying opportunities. At least not for your target who is holding an amulet that isn't theirs.

You're still going to end up hunting down your suspects and waiting to see if they stand still long enough to watch you evoke your art.

Once per week is a bit excessive. Once per "dream" could be once per log in which can be gotten around by repeatedly waking and coming back.

It's an interesting idea. Don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure if it really has a place. The Gatekeepers that I've known were extremely protective of their amulets and weren't afraid to get into a bit of a conflict in order to have it returned. Consider that they are the protectors of the dream; the warriors so to speak. It doesn't make sense to have a warrior get their amulet back via "stealth."

Perhaps the art would only work on your target if they are a soulsphere. You could still get your amulet back without repeatedly collapsing your target (which has certainly been done before in order to retrieve an amulet). This would also prevent all amulets held by anyone in the current room to return to the GK. Said GK may have friends with him/her to help retrieve the amulet.
~Onyx Nightblade, Onyx Nightstorm... and maybe someone else?
KirtesOmathear
Dreamer

Post by KirtesOmathear »

I think this art would be a bad idea personally.. and my character has Ward/Amulet...

NOW a middle ground might be a art that allows you to know how many amulets that you have exist in the city. That would allow you to do some investigation, remember everyone that was in a battle that you may have lost it in. etc etc.

Amulet reclaim takes away the importance and shock that is the Amulet.

Hold them tight, and believe in the Destroy Talisman.
Aejeck
Dreamer

Post by Aejeck »

I think Onyx found a pretty decent middle ground.

A "force drop" art, only evokable on soul spheres. This way you have to know who has it, collapse them and evoke the art. Then you still have to be the one to pick it up before someone else does. Adds an extra few degrees of difficulty.

Anything more than that is too much, imo.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Aejeck wrote:I think Onyx found a pretty decent middle ground.

A "force drop" art, only evokable on soul spheres. This way you have to know who has it, collapse them and evoke the art. Then you still have to be the one to pick it up before someone else does. Adds an extra few degrees of difficulty.

Anything more than that is too much, imo.
This is fine as long as the cost is significant enough that I can't just float a room and then evoke it on everyone in turn within a minute. ;-)
Aejeck
Dreamer

Post by Aejeck »

I'd imagine drain all the will the player has basically and a long evoke time would take care of that.
Aejeck
Dreamer

Post by Aejeck »

Sure it'd make it pointless. No art should be 100% infallible.

Don't know about other GKs, but times I saw people lose them was because they dropped them on a collapse, not from handing them out.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

There's also the idea that Amulets, like Prime Artifacts, have a 100% drop rate on collapse.

With SoT, 1-charge Amulets were handy in the event they were lost/stolen, but not great if you need to give party/house members access through your portals. The GK would get tied up just creating Amulet after Amulet.

I like the idea of starting at 99 charges and reducing per plateau, but that seems excessive. Perhaps start at 20 charges and reduce by 2 per plateau? Start a 15 and reduce by 1 per plateau?

Here's another option, too:
A new high-level (50+) GK art that grants access through your wards to all party members. So long as you carry your Amulet, all party members are tied to it. High cost, short duration (maybe 60 seconds level 1-9, increases 30 seconds per plateau), and does not stack duration. So, evoke once and everyone has access. Evoke again and it removes the effect. If anyone leaves the party, the effect is lost.

This art offers an alternative to the higher-sphere GK to risking Amulets getting out, but doesn't completely eliminate the need when, for instance, you're fighting with your house members and cannot fit everyone into one party.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Koi-Spark wrote:
I like the idea of starting at 99 charges and reducing per plateau, but that seems excessive. Perhaps start at 20 charges and reduce by 2 per plateau? Start a 15 and reduce by 1 per plateau?
It was 1 per level, not plateau. So the theory was that a 99 Amulet would grant the ability to have a 1 charge amulet. Kind of like the reverse inscribe with infinite not being an option.
Aejeck
Dreamer

Post by Aejeck »

Sidas wrote:
Koi-Spark wrote:
It was 1 per level, not plateau. So the theory was that a 99 Amulet would grant the ability to have a 1 charge amulet. Kind of like the reverse inscribe with infinite not being an option.
This seems like the best/easiest solution.
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

Here's another option, too:
A new high-level (50+) GK art that grants access through your wards to all party members. So long as you carry your Amulet, all party members are tied to it. High cost, short duration (maybe 60 seconds level 1-9, increases 30 seconds per plateau), and does not stack duration. So, evoke once and everyone has access. Evoke again and it removes the effect. If anyone leaves the party, the effect is lost.

This art offers an alternative to the higher-sphere GK to risking Amulets getting out, but doesn't completely eliminate the need when, for instance, you're fighting with your house members and cannot fit everyone into one party.[/quote]

^ that is a very cool and creative idea for a new gk art.
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung