Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Item Counter

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Item Counter

Post by Black Cloud »

I think this should really be taken in to consideration. Once we ID an item, we -know- the number of charges it holds. By this logic, we should always be aware of the items charges as we are using it. Even in battle, we should know how many charges each of the chaks we hold have as we can't stop to double right-click when it really matters. We end up vaping stuff when it should be possible to save a lot of talisman if we could see the number of charges. Again, for items that we've IDed, our players should be aware of it.
I have created two examples of how this can work. If an item is not IDed, it shows a blank, and serves as another way to know which items need to be identified.
ImageImage
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Re: Item Counter

Post by coltdorsey »

I like this. Definitely reminds me of a SoT-esque visual aid. I think I may personally prefer the second example, where the # is displayed right aligned with the item.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

coltdorsey wrote:I like this. Definitely reminds me of a SoT-esque visual aid. I think I may personally prefer the second example, where the # is displayed right aligned with the item.
Ditto :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
SnowAngel
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Snow Angel X

Post by SnowAngel »

I love the second example... How hard would something like that be to implement?
There are times when we stop.. We sit still... We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
James Carroll
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Not a fan. It's not hard to track charges in the current scope of Underlight. You only have 50 items to remember!
Black Cloud
Dreamer

Post by Black Cloud »

The point is that it's pretty much impossible to track charges when you're in battle, Sidas. Given the situation with gens and how crappy they are, there should be a better way to preserve ones pack. One day you get into a battle, and you spend two weeks trying to get new stock. Either gens need to be modified or something like this should be implemented. It doesn't make sense to sit at a gen for 4 hours and come back with nothing of use. In fact, it's depressing and makes me wonder about my life choices, seriously. The gens were coded when the power base was totally different. I think this is a more suitable suggestion than recoding the generators.

The implementation shouldn't be too difficult. The information needed is already there. The devs just need to display a counter of the charges for the selected item if it's been identified. That's basically the logic here. It's not a mod that requires extensive work.
Sidas
Developer

Post by Sidas »

Black Cloud wrote:The point is that it's pretty much impossible to track charges when you're in battle, Sidas.
Except it's not. You just have to not be careless and have an understanding of what you have. Item management is one of the primary differentiators in the UL combat system.
Black Cloud
Dreamer

Post by Black Cloud »

Sidas, stop with that bs man. I disagree with you.

I started playing UL 16 years ago so i have a very good understanding of the combat system. It's not about being careless, like you say. If there was an efficient way to do it i would have mastered it by now. Please explain to me how I'm suppose to check how many charges I have left on a chak that I'm using mid-battle, seriously. Am i supposed to have some crazy good memory and count charges as i use them? That's unrealistic. I can understand how you can just estimate and skip to another talisman because you have so many to choose from, but not everyone is stocked up like that. They have to make the most of what they have.

Look at any other game, ammo or other supplies are clearly marked by numbers. I tend to play according to my ammo, and it does effect how you play. If I know that I only have 10 charges left, for example, I will try not to waste any of them. You might not agree but you haven't offered a legitimate alternative either.
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

Now I miss SOT more than ever! :cry:
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I agree that knowing your pack and tracking your supplies (Personally I use organization of Arnaya's pack to help me keep in mind what's fully charged and what isn't) is a skill that shows the divide between the different skill tiers of Underlight fighters, the tracking thing would be a really cool little feature and I'd personally find it helpful since it would remove one of the distractions involved in fighting.

I don't have the experience that a lot of other people do with fighting in UL, and am still working on figuring out a bunch of the little tricks that the experienced and Really good fighters (Like Sidas) use that set them apart from the Good fighters (Like me, and quite a few others). So removing a distraction would be kinda nice for me, but its not really essential.

The biggest problem I have in a fight is keeping a guage on where Arnaya's shots are going since there's no physical or visible references directly for it. I can shoot a bow RL, not great, but I can do it and have okay consistent aim. But that's because I have the visual reference down the arrow. When I'm throwing things, I have the physical sensations of my body and arm movement to help me adjust my aim, along with the Visual of my target. So, if we're looking at things to make combat a bit more manageable... a faint targeting reticle that swayed a bit with movement would probably be a more generally useful feature, or the edge of a chakram graphic that was visible and pointed out from the firing trajectory? Kind of a game version of the Visual and physical references I mentioned. Also not essential, but would be a neat little addition :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Sidas
Developer

Post by Sidas »

Black Cloud wrote: but not everyone is stocked up like that. They have to make the most of what they have.
Then it's probably in their best interest to not pick fights with people who have had the foresight to gather and maintain incredible supplies. Underlight is not solely about brawn but being able to be several steps ahead of everyone else. It's an important aspect in terms of Combat, Politics, and everything else.

As for the OP, I would recommend practicing.
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Sidas wrote: As for the OP, I would recommend practicing.
Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know. Brat :P
Dina

Post by Dina »

If you know your chak has 49 charges, use it a few times, then select another. What Sidas is saying is right. You are a Seer for damn sake lol. It shouldn't be that hard. Tember gets put to work all the time!

The best fighters will know how to do this well. Which is why they have the best packs for fighting.

I'm getting tired of agreeing with you Sidas, so stop it! :p
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Since the launch of this version, I can honestly say I lost about a total of two items during combat (not including shields). It's not hard to keep track of charges when you learn how to manage your pack. Sidas is correct, item management is a key element in the combat system, which is why I do not think it should be made easier. UL's combat is unique because it requires skill.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Black Cloud
Dreamer

Post by Black Cloud »

Wow, all of DoL shares the same opinion on an OOC forum, how surprising... goodness guys. I forgot you guys run this place, sorry!
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Cloud
Dreamer

Post by Black Cloud »

HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I didn't say that it was a bad idea... Don't get your panties in a bunch! However, it isn't that hard to succeed in a battle knowing what you have in your pack and using skill. That is my point.

You are taking shit way too serious ooc. Everyone has a right to their opinions on things and the ones that are responding for the most part, are in the same house and the house is way more advanced with skilled fighters than any other house. So, of course we agree. I am not saying I am skilled, I am farrrrrr from it, but there are others that are and I do understand what needs to be done.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Eros, get with the program! :P

Seriously though, It's definitely not a bad idea, and I didn't see anyone say that it was. It just really isn't all that hard to right-click an ID'd item to check the charges while fighting, then move it to a designated area you know not to use until you can recharge it later. If that's something you're not used to, ask for some help in game on better ways to manage your pack.

It appears to me that you are taking offense to our OOC opinions based on a current state of IC conflict between our two factions, which is unfortunate. Also, you must not know who my alt is. ;) Us having the same opinion has nothing to do with our IC affiliations.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Black Cloud
Dreamer

Post by Black Cloud »

No, I don't know who your alt is. Honestly, I'd prefer not to know. I think it dilutes the experience, causes personalities to blend together for some people. If I had an alt nobody would know.
Black Cloud
Dreamer

Post by Black Cloud »

HarleyofCienn wrote:Also how does dol/ool run everything when PC gets handed a house, +40drs, house art, mouse rp, Xun prime...
Really? PC is just "handed" stuff? We have a house full of people who are RPing for every little thing we get. Our house spent 2 hours RPing something to get ONE +45 Drs with 19 charges. Is that something to be jealous about? You think we're going to use that? We got it so that we could give it away. The mouse RP is not just for us, that mouse visits everybody. And Kael provided us with the shard to collect strength. Ehh...
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »

You've moved off topic. I suggest you stick to talking about game suggestions.

Only warning.
Shae
Dreamer

Post by Shae »

I love example number 2, coming from a basicall non-fighter.
Where are all the GateKeepers?!
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Honestly, gear management is one of the aspects of combat that I'm really good at, I'm not as good as a lot of others at gauging the current lag and the lag fluctuations, which means I'll never be as accurate as some people, the fact that I excel at inventory management, and 3 dimensional awareness help make up for that. The system is complex enough to keep it from being another stupid autoattack game and the nuances of keyboard layout and personal skill truly define how far you can go over time. I've been playing for like 9 months, I've learned a lot, but I still have a lot to master, those who manage a mastery level in many areas of combat are truly phenomenal fighters, but you don't have to be great at everything to be a good fighter. Know your strengths as a player and a character, and play to them, or play to your weaknesses to overcome them. Personal choice of current maximization vs. growth potential, but I don't think simplifying the combat system is the answer.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days