Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Item Counter

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Re: Item Counter

Post by Black Cloud »

Now that some people have replied and made their suggestions, I would like to make a point. There is and always has been a way to do this without ever touching your mouse. Whether you already knew this and chose not to tell me, or you simply do not know yourself, I suppose I will leave that to you.

That said, the suggestion I made to have a visual counter is still perfectly valid. An improvement on something that already exists and technically has no relation to 'skill' or game-play, and which is just a GUI suggestion, is different from the modification of current mechanics, or the creation of a new art all together.

My perspective is coming from an angle that would also intrigue new players. Not alts. I love you guys because it's a small community and we all have this game in common, but Underlight has something special to offer to a lot more people, and new players are worth more than everything. You've spent time to get use the 'the way it is' and so have I, but the new guys won't make sense of it.

With that I take my leave from this topic.
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

Blade wrote:Mostly I keep track of how much I've used an item in my head. When I need to double check I right click the item to check it's charges. When something is low, I move it to the bottom of my pack...
I do this as well.
Arnaya wrote:... I can shoot a bow RL, not great, but I can do it and have okay consistent aim. But that's because I have the visual reference down the arrow. When I'm throwing things, I have the physical sensations of my body and arm movement to help me adjust my aim, along with the Visual of my target. So, if we're looking at things to make combat a bit more manageable... a faint targeting reticle that swayed a bit with movement would probably be a more generally useful feature, or the edge of a chakram graphic that was visible and pointed out from the firing trajectory?
You could draw a cross hair on your monitor, or write/find a program that draws a cross hair at a specific coordinate on your screen.

Koi, would third party addons(created or found) like this be considered not being honest with the software?
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

addon....what ever happened to a ruler and a sharpie?
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

Uthanatos wrote:addon....what ever happened to a ruler and a sharpie?
coltdorsey wrote:...You could draw a cross hair on your monitor, or...
:)
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

You guys draw on your monitors?! :shock:
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

no...but we used to, back when they had glass screens.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Dina

Post by Dina »

I used a dot of white out lol.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Resource management is a large distinguisher in skill. From my experience in developing old school games similar to this one, I can agree that this change would dilute skill a bit. Even though there is a large bit of ad hominem going on here, the real debate are conservative player views vs. progressive player views. Generally, progressive views are more inviting to newer players as this change suggested from BC is.

But let's examine the real issue here, this server can't be taken too seriously combat wise for new players because anyone wanting to join this game is going to be at a 2 decade disadvantage from the get-go. If you play anything other than a seer and try to play an antagonist, you're going to have to wait probably months to a year to actually factor well in combat. That fact alone is enough to drive any new player away. The teaching system compounds this issue by requiring some focuses to wait weeks for 1/20 plateaus needed.

That said, I wouldn't play Underlight for the combat, in fact, it's best non-pvp new players avoid it and enjoy other aspects of the game until they are at least fifth or sixth sphere. (Months in with dedication)