Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Second focus training major arts limitation

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Second focus training major arts limitation

Post by coltdorsey »

What are the limitations and problems we're up against with allowing teachers in their second focus to train their first focus majors? Is there something about the way minor arts are coded that majors arts could adjusted? I'm guessing that if this was easily managed, we'd be doing it by now but it may be fruitful to begin looking at ways to allow second focii dreamers to train in first focii arts.
Malarky
Dreamer

Re: Second focus training major arts limitation

Post by Malarky »

Limitations of allowing teachers to train in their primary focus majors when they've changed focus.

Spitballing here to get the ball rolling...
Currently you can't learn any majors not of your *current* primary focus. If this were changed, you could technically learn the majors of any focus regardless of the dichotomy of a dual changing primary focus orientation.

I think the solution is not in changing what we have but in creating a new train art that associates what you can learn with specific arts in your arts list instead of from a focus table. Then you could give a dreamer of secondary focus a token art like Gatesender, Gateseer, Gatemaster, Fatekeeper, Fateseer, Fatemaster, Dreamkeeper, Dreamsender, Dreammaster, Soulkeeper, Soulsender, or Soulseer so they'd be able to train in the majors of both focus associated with the token focuses.

Keep in mind I'm not familiar with how train associates focus and imagine it's entirely different from how it was in Shades of Truth.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Focus doesn't seem to be an art exclusive thing, or bi-focused wouldn't be able to learn arts from their new focus. Best suggestion... Let the Bi-focused charcter quest for their full art compliment and just have GM MT's or other focus MT's honor it.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Arnaya wrote:Focus doesn't seem to be an art exclusive thing, or bi-focused wouldn't be able to learn arts from their new focus. Best suggestion... Let the Bi-focused charcter quest for their full art compliment and just have GM MT's or other focus MT's honor it.
Change focus on db and new arts become the majors. The game sends you a new list of arts you can learn based on your focus. That this can be done server side suggests that the clockwork is in the game client and the time is on the server.
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I might have mis-understood what you were saying originally then, I took it as you were saying that the characters focus was determined by their focus art :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Arnaya wrote:I might have mis-understood what you were saying originally then, I took it as you were saying that the characters focus was determined by their focus art :)
What I was originally suggesting was that a new train art be created that replaces the existing train that factors in whether or not you have any of the above focus arts I mentioned (IE: Dreamkeeper=Dreamseer+Gatekeeper) and when you obtain a second focus your primary focus art gets replaced with one that names both of your focus' with all the appropriate rules associated with it.
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Ah,that makes a lot more sense :)
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

It would be nice to look at a coded solution like Malarky mentioned at some point, but the easiest fix now would be to allow the dual focused to task for what they would normally be able to train and have a rule in place where elders and PC MTs can grant them. I suggested it at one point in game and heard Akkadain was against it, but I don't see why.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Well the MT would have to rerwite it and if it was a Trap 50 task being turned a minute later... It looks bad however, the MT could put the date it was written on it. The other teacher would have to have it displayed in the original. Dina would be willing to do this for Blade or whoever. She doesn't teach PC members, so she would tell them to seek out an elder then.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Nah, you wouldn't have to rewrite it. Just like with the new system in place where MTs can honor absent teachers tasks, I was able to grant an art/plat using someone else's task.
Last edited by Cherokee on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Oh! Didn't know that.
Koi-Shadow

Post by Koi-Shadow »

This issue will be addressed in the next patch. Stay tuned for more information shortly!