Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

House Aura

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Malarky
Dreamer

House Aura

Post by Malarky »

A graphic effect on players of houses. Can this be implemented? The workload involved in creating the frames aside, can it be done code wise?

Example: Shadow Aura for KoES members
One frame of the avatar made by combining 16 animated frames of a graphic effect.
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Re: House Aura

Post by FrigginAwesome »

Not that this isn't a cool effect, and seeing it in-game would be cool too, but why?

We have house crests to indicate house membership, which allow for placement or removal -- to hide house affiliation if desired. What's the hope behind adding another indicator of house membership?

Or do you mean, that the shadowy effect would be visible when Shadow Step is in effect, perhaps?
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

The only house art I can see this being somewhat useful for would be Peace Aura, so you don't waste supplies on a dreamer that can't be harmed. Other than that, HC and DoL have area effect arts and Shadow Step is Invisibility.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I think the idea was for an aura that was bound to the crest, so anyone that had the crest would have the aura. My big "Oh Crap" thought on it would be the sheer amount of Lag. Get ten people in room right now, and even teachers having their halos on causes a ton of lag. I'm just not sure if the game engine could handle something like this without a lot of reworking.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Lunk
Dreamer

Post by Lunk »

my vague understanding is that this isn't possible and if something like this was or would be attempted, it would cause a lot of other bugs to pop up if it was implemented or tested with, but thats a really vague guess that i have based on old stuff i was privvy to a long time ago. the 4 foci 4 mare forms 2 dreamer forms is the unbreakable rule that if broken would require an entire rewriting of the game or so i believe.

I do like ideas though, they just aren't always possible or if possible would be a headache to work on i suspect. Thats a super cool affect you did though, i would like to see more. good job!
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

Just curious, since this is weeeeeelll beyond my skillset but does this mean we canot add new forms in some way?
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Lunk wrote:my vague understanding is that this isn't possible and if something like this was or would be attempted, it would cause a lot of other bugs to pop up if it was implemented or tested with, but thats a really vague guess that i have based on old stuff i was privvy to a long time ago. the 4 foci 4 mare forms 2 dreamer forms is the unbreakable rule that if broken would require an entire rewriting of the game or so i believe.

I do like ideas though, they just aren't always possible or if possible would be a headache to work on i suspect. Thats a super cool affect you did though, i would like to see more. good job!
That I've seen: Five mare types and three dreamer types. Also, five focus. Dreamsoul can be assigned as a focus.
Lunk
Dreamer

Post by Lunk »

OfF KiLTeR wrote:Just curious, since this is weeeeeelll beyond my skillset but does this mean we canot add new forms in some way?
not so sure, since Revs made it in game? hmm, could happen. so im going to *back pedal* a bit on what i said earlier with a "maybe" or a "who knows" but in order for stuff to happen in game it needs a Role Play. but ya i guess *somehow* anything is possible. right now the main thing going on is obviously revenants are invading as all of us know very well right now.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Revenants aren't a new "form", though, they use the dreamer graphics. Pretty sure that what Off Kilter meant was that we can't add a new basic character graphic, we have only the Female Dreamer, Male Dreamer, Emphant, Bogrom, Agoknight and Shamblix/Horron graphics.

The situation in Shades of Truth was that those were the only character graphics we had and they couldn't even be edited, because the original 3D graphics master files for them had been lost and all we had was the 2D images showing them from different angles and in different positions - so to alter, say, the female dreamer graphic (there was a discussion of whether we could get rid of the ridiculous suspenders :D ), you'd have to alter each one of I think it was about 200 2D images. I don't know whether it's the same now.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

Right on the head Noidea...

Also we NEED those Suspenders!
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Noidea wrote:Revenants aren't a new "form", though, they use the dreamer graphics. Pretty sure that what Off Kilter meant was that we can't add a new basic character graphic, we have only the Female Dreamer, Male Dreamer, Emphant, Bogrom, Agoknight and Shamblix/Horron graphics.

The situation in Shades of Truth was that those were the only character graphics we had and they couldn't even be edited, because the original 3D graphics master files for them had been lost and all we had was the 2D images showing them from different angles and in different positions - so to alter, say, the female dreamer graphic (there was a discussion of whether we could get rid of the ridiculous suspenders :D ), you'd have to alter each one of I think it was about 200 2D images. I don't know whether it's the same now.

There are 144 each of the male and female frames for every animation of the human avatar.
There are 90 frames for every animation of the Emphant, Bogrom.
There are 92 frames for every animation of the Shamblix/Horron.
There are 95 frames for every animation of the Agoknight.

To remove the shoulder parts of the male avatar while not impossible would not be worth doing. If someone had the time and resources to do that, they might as well spend that time replacing the avatar entirely. That would take less time.