Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Crests

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Tember
Dreamer

Crests

Post by Tember »

I was thinking about the ranked members of the house, and how it would be cool to have other special marks in the house.

Other than just Ruler and Guardians crests, but say lead quartermasters, leader of different paths in the house. Etc. not necisarrily a crest for each individual thing, but maybe a new title in the house showing responsibly.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Re: Crests

Post by Butterfly »

Supreme Mistress of All?
I think this is an interesting idea. You could have historian, QM and such.
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Aileron
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Aileron

Post by Aileron »

Could do something along the lines of the colors on the sphere crest IE Wordsmith's Mark and such. Could have different colors represent a different position in a house outside of just Ruler and Guardian. If you leave the house the color could just go away along with the crest.
"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring, I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life." - Pvt. Lenoard L. Church
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

I think this is technically do-able but not sure about restricting it to a house. House rank/crests are coded in and have a bunch of arts and accesses linked to them. It would be possible to imo create a crest that looks like the house crest with a different color, but not sure that it could be linked to the house. Basically a recreated "Arretian Crest"
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Dreamers of Light DreamStriker Crest example: Not the correct palette assigned.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I think you're better off with changing the ring color based on the assigned value. Otherwise, you risk losing the primary house rank information.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

it sure does look cool though
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Sidas wrote:I think you're better off with changing the ring color based on the assigned value. Otherwise, you risk losing the primary house rank information.
A good point, but house crests have no ring around them. The ring perceived in some is actually just the background of the house-plate that the symbol sits on. I'm basing this off of the crest graphic itself. There may be other issues with having a house crest that has more than two primary colors on it. If the team has the ability to add a third color to code into the crests, then I'd agree completely with this idea.
Ceyllynn
Dreamer

Post by Ceyllynn »

what i do know, is when i messed with it, the palette annoyed the crap out of me.
Inzoum
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Inzoum Zimia, Asaniel

Post by Inzoum »

It wouldn't be too hard to separate the ring into a third color zone (in fact I can volunteer to have a look at it), I know the palette system used by the game assets and have experience with manipulating images in this manner, but the game's code would obviously need to be adapted to make use of it, redefining all crests as using 3 colors

For what it's worth, I remember when the Sphere crests were adapted in this manner in order to allow the ring and content areas to be recolored (Dreamsmith Mark, Wordsmith Mark, Dreamstrike Mark...). It used to have its own generic palette that didn't zone colors out to specific palette ranges for the sake of replacement. The blue color was slightly different, and the whites and blacks were much more contrasted. Shifting these crests over to use the "zoned" palette meant that the black lines forming the sphere crest would have to be made lighter to fit completely into the "Chalk" range of tones so they would be colored along with the center of the crest to fit a two-colour scheme, like the House crests are currently using. I'm not privy to the programming logic behind these, but I suspect there may be limitations that impose a maximum of 2 colors for the crest sprites that might take a lot of work to overcome. On that note, I have no idea how the red dot for 9th sphere was handled, either it's overlayed as a separate sprite, or they actually are using 3 or more color zones for the sphere crests.
Inzoum Carrere Zimia
6th Sphere GateKeeper of the Lyran City, Dream Traveler
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Inzoum wrote:It wouldn't be too hard to separate the ring into a third color zone (in fact I can volunteer to have a look at it), I know the palette system used by the game assets and have experience with manipulating images in this manner, but the game's code would obviously need to be adapted to make use of it, redefining all crests as using 3 colors

For what it's worth, I remember when the Sphere crests were adapted in this manner in order to allow the ring and content areas to be recolored (Dreamsmith Mark, Wordsmith Mark, Dreamstrike Mark...). It used to have its own generic palette that didn't zone colors out to specific palette ranges for the sake of replacement. The blue color was slightly different, and the whites and blacks were much more contrasted. Shifting these crests over to use the "zoned" palette meant that the black lines forming the sphere crest would have to be made lighter to fit completely into the "Chalk" range of tones so they would be colored along with the center of the crest to fit a two-colour scheme, like the House crests are currently using. I'm not privy to the programming logic behind these, but I suspect there may be limitations that impose a maximum of 2 colors for the crest sprites that might take a lot of work to overcome. On that note, I have no idea how the red dot for 9th sphere was handled, either it's overlayed as a separate sprite, or they actually are using 3 or more color zones for the sphere crests.

Every sphere crest is a separate graphic.
Inzoum
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Inzoum Zimia, Asaniel

Post by Inzoum »

yes, that I know, I've had a dabble in the game's graphics in older days, that wasn't exactly what I meant :)
Inzoum Carrere Zimia
6th Sphere GateKeeper of the Lyran City, Dream Traveler