Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Mass ds Blast? Mass Deafen? yea! /nay?

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Lunk
Dreamer

Mass ds Blast? Mass Deafen? yea! /nay?

Post by Lunk »

I got to thinking while hearing about how deafen is one of the few arts that has no mass room affect art.

the dream seer Guild as I've overheard were considering thinking up a mass damage art for dream seers as a new art In-Character-Wise.

dream seers are Air elemented right? as it says in the wiki

idea? ...

dream seers use the "AIR" to make a loud air wave sound to mass deafen as well as combined ability as was 3rd sphere that they all gained from ages of practicing their blast in theory will harness that blast with sonic 'sound' damage as well as the typical blasting using the older method. think of it as the same reason GK used the earth element to cause the mass stagger only this would be a mass deafen with a hint of blast

( or a huge blast with a hint of deafen? i'll let you guys decide!!! )

also if there is a balance issue the damage part could be removed or made into a seperated art altogether for balance issues and discussed in game later on if any one doesn't like this deal from the other focus's playing they're respective focus

so either the above idea limited for balance. ***OR*** two arts, one simply a mass-deafen with a unique title, and the other a massive roomwide damage art perhaps limited the same way blast was limited which would be the characteristic FIELD OF VIEW. etc etc.

i got this idea with the blessing of a fatesender folks, he shall go unnamed unless he decides to chip-in. love us dream seers please.

funny thing, also it was mentioned in game back when the game was huge and popular and i remember begging people to post it on the old forums and no one would do it for me back then.. this was before razorwind came out. Air is loud some times folks, plus loud = deafening. agoknights already combined deafen with blast also.

im sure you guys would have fun with this idea for dreamseers , and i think it makes sense also and is fitting in a way.

critiques at the time i was bringing this up stated that it would be useless because of out-of-game comminication tools. not sure what to say about that one. it can be a short duration deafen and just make it a mass deafen that is shorter then the mass stagger i guess.

critics at the time who stated that the proposed art was too powerful only mentioned that deafen had no counter protective art, but that would cancel out the above and then theres the tiny fact that deafen is one of the most un-used arts if you ask most players.

what do you guys think. let me know. it a really really really old idea that i and a few other people had years and years ago but it basically got buried and put to bed due to the popularity of dislike for dream seers at the time.
Last edited by Lunk on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lunk
Dreamer

Re: Mass ds Blast? Mass Deafen? yea! /nay?

Post by Lunk »

ALSO!!! to clear things up a bit further, im sorry if my post sounded brash or rude and if I had to pick just ONE THING. it would be only for the addition of a mass deafen as it is a rather unloved and unused and underappreciated art due to how vital the chat feature is to the integrity of the game. so it can be reconsidered or denied as an idea again if its chosen not to fly i guess. i dont know i guess im rambling.

thank you and bear with me for my rather over flowing over the top wishes and imagination at times folks. i do get carried away on a band wagon majorly at times as is well known.

*EDIT* i realise just how covered an art like this really is with fate senders covering these bases so much already so I'm thinking on it again and perhaps it could be tempered down to a longer evoking 3 or 4 avatar target limited in-sight-only limited art due to how much it otherwise would be too much similar to fate senders. i hope this kind of wraps up my brain fart of an idea that i remember posted a few years ago. thanks for reading my idea again and no hard feelings if its a crappy idea as theres many reasons why its kind of crappy.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

I really like the idea of a limitation, like line of sight or needing the evoke to be seen or having to be invis'd when evoking it. Seers are the assassins of the City, something that embraces that would be neat as well. I agree that Mass Deafen is a great idea for Seers, a strong wind can be deafening!
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Lunk
Dreamer

Post by Lunk »

Butterfly wrote:I really like the idea of a limitation, like line of sight or needing the evoke to be seen or having to be invis'd when evoking it. Seers are the assassins of the City, something that embraces that would be neat as well. I agree that Mass Deafen is a great idea for Seers, a strong wind can be deafening!
thank you!
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Post by Clarity »

STOP TRYING TO STEAL MY ARTS! *hoards deafen like a precious precious baby and hisses*
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-
Aileron
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Aileron

Post by Aileron »

The problem I see with something like a mass deafen is the chance that it will get abused to no end. Now this is true of every art out there but deafen is a go to art outside of say scare when you want to annoy the crap out of someone. Give that power room wide and stack damage on top of it? I just see it being more of a headache for people of the game then a welcoming addition. You can then say "well Terror is used all the time," Which is true but I also then go to the argument that Scare has a defense against it, deafen does not.

Also, Deafen isn't a dead status effect, people use deafen chaks a lot more then they did before. Any big battle Ail ends up in he gets hit with at least two if not more people using a deafen chak. I would say outside of poison and curse, it's one of the bigger status effects commonly used.

I get that people don't like just standing back during a fight or feeling like they don't contribute but part of the game is the synergy between all the foci. We are all not meant to be able to do everything.

It's also possible to expand the focus in different ways then just a mass damage art as well. In a recent discussion about just this thing that Ail had with some friends, it was suggested that DS could work on something like a party wide Blend. I don't know about you, but I would love a DS for days if they could blend Ail out of a warded room. I would take that over a room wide blast any day.

Just some nonsensical ramblings on the subject ;)

Edit: So after a little bit of thought I come back here to give you more babble! FS won't like the idea but give RazorWIND back to the DS. It makes sense to me that in that aspect it would be fair and spreads the love around.
Also, honestly if anyone should get a mass art that causes an effect, ditch that Peace Aura (Seriously, it's garbage) and give AoE a house art along the lines of all the others. I could live with a mass deafen art if it costed PTs to use. It would be less likely to be used then outside of warranted situations.

Okay, that's it! I promise...okay..maybe not, but still! :lol:
"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring, I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life." - Pvt. Lenoard L. Church
Lunk
Dreamer

Post by Lunk »

hm, well i got to thinking, (and thought, why the hell wouldn't i want to make it a harder thing to code then ?) just kidding, actually i hope i'll be forgiven for these headache of an idea's i had, just a funny idea of these two thoughts...

since they gave razorWIND to fatesenders and not ds the idea of a mass damage being given to dreamseers seems taboo.... so next best thing? these things

1) an art where the room's sky above area gets bombarded with "Hale" coming down frozen from air bursts(flame really or chakram fire) randomly placed falling out of the sky either fast or slowly depending on platue going from above to the ground. i dont know how that would factor in with rooms that have no sky though, thats my trouble with this idea, and also denser with platue. (might cause lag? i dont know, i dont code much, but this is a fun idea maybe, people spam their flame in crowded rooms shooting UP, well this will be falling down and we still survive the lag) only problem is being JP'ed wont help you survive it like good old juicy razorwind would have. catch 22, just look up and dodge i guess)) i know the avatars are meant to be fired at from the side so perhaps make it so that it comes at a 45º angle? just tossing this idea out there for now.

proposed idea, 2) the art where the dreamer uses the art like flame yes, basicly a Flame art, only this time its as fast of an evoke as blast or faster, almost as if your firing a railgun because a whole 9 row 3 on each side of the square of flame with a center "tranceflame standard" eminates instead of just a single shooter, its harder to miss, perhaps it can be set to just shoot off in a wider area also. (this is probably my worse idea and its kind of rediculus at best)

3) simply just going off what i previous wrote here, a simple "blast all target in view that aren't JP'ed" art. simple and a lot less coding and testing involved but im pretty much a moron.

just some fun ideas and i'll just leave them here for anyone to read while hopefully enjoying some nice food and drink while staying cool from all the heat going on right now.

strange ideas i gues, but it is what it is.

***Edit, actually i have another idea and its non offensive simple similar to a "best offense is a good defense" an art where its evoked on your JP'ed members that will do a thing where its similar to a shield dividing damage to the shield, but instead of dividing damage to a shield its dealing it back onto what ever is doing damage to the avatar that has the "defense offense" art. say 10% of the damage delt to the one with that art on them gets returned to the one that delt it. maybe a bit pointless but it adds up somewhat. not really a grand Hurrah! game-winner or a main-go-to "Best" for dreamseers but its interesting. sorry my ideas are just crazy talk at times.
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The problem I have with "mass deafen" is that Fatesenders typically are useless in an arts fight with out SM backup. As a class designed to be the controllers, it's immensely frustrating to be both the strongest, and weakest, at being able to do so. Giving away our only non-defensible art to another focus would only compound that sense of uselessness.

I get that DS feel underwhelming. It's a feeling anyone who's played an FS for any length of time knows well. Nearly all of our arts are counterable. In the past, para made it so you were completely shut down, now you can litterally stand there with a DS ele or two, tap an alt, and wait for it to wear off. All of our single target arts can be genned, and that INCLUDES the effect introduced to razorwind to make it worth even having/casting. Our mass damage arts can't be properly utilized in friendly-fire groups bigger then 4. Even the "breakthrough" mechanic introduced to assist in giving FS a fighting chance works better for other classes then our own, simply for balance's sake. Hell, two of the house arts are FS arts en mass.

I understand wanting a mass art. I get that FS arts feel fun. They are fun, when they're useful - which is rare. But the fact that in order to get one, other classes feel the need to poach FS arts to do so effectively is frustrating at best. DS should be looking into things that are unique to the roll of Seers. (*shakes a fist at dreamquake*)
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-