Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

pack space

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
kendo
Dreamer
Character Name(s): kendo,and those two other dudes

pack space

Post by kendo »

maybe some sort of indicator as to how many spaces are still available would be helpful
There is a boundary to men's passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination. -Edmund Burke

“Who needs sports stardom when you can shoot fireballs from your fingertips?”
― Ethan Gilsdorf
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: pack space

Post by Arnaya »

That would be nice, it would be kinda cool to have like a Scroll Case type of thing too (just for Codi and quest supports even) :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
SnowAngel
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Snow Angel X

Post by SnowAngel »

Can we have MORE pack space or... add something to your pack to allow you to hold more items like quest codecies or something!?!?! Pretty Please! With Sugar on top! And a cherry too !
Please and thank you!
There are times when we stop.. We sit still... We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
James Carroll
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

Personal vaults would solve this!
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Arnaya wrote:That would be nice, it would be kinda cool to have like a Scroll Case type of thing too (just for Codi and quest supports even) :)
It would be nice if codexes or quests didn't count as pack space.

However, the easiest solution to have more "pack space" is to be in a house. House vaults are one of the many perks for being in them. Another perk is being a Teacher or Master Teacher, where you can store your tasks in the teaching halls.

I liked the personal vaults, but that enabled hoarding and takes away from the house appeal.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

the idea has been discussed IC of an art that lets you store items on evoke, meaning you couldn't access them in combat or anything, but you could store codexes and sentimentals that way with the storage space increasing with plat....dunno how hard the coding would be for that though.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
SnowAngel
Dreamer

Post by SnowAngel »

But then you waste house space when you need items especially with all fighting going on! You end up with more player items in your house vaults than regular items!
I like the idea of an evoke to store sentimental items etc , that or we all create mules to hold stuff!!
There are times when we stop.. We sit still... We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
James Carroll
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

I get that it's a 'dream,' and all that. But some sense of realism is required. Why do you think you'd be able to fight, that is: run around really quickly while shooting things and shouting orders while holding on to 50 things? There is literally no situation I can think of where this would be possible. If the items contained no volume or mass then maybe, but let's assume they contain some of both. That means you need to keep track of them while fighting, walking, chatting, etc. Fifty seems like a pretty good deal when you put it that way.

There's also the game balance perspective: if you could walk around holding 100 level 50+ chaks, +25 dreamsoul and +25 (whatever) elemens, along with some sweet alterors fights would never end nor would they be any fun. There is still an element of resource management I like. So if you wanted to take the 'weight' perspective to packs and say that codexes and no effect items take 0 space, then chaks should take up 3 or 4 slots, as should elemens. Is that better? Probably not.

As for using pack-mules: that's OOC so I won't even consider it.

Use teaching vaults for codices in your houses. Use vaults and armories and essence rooms in a pinch for other things. If you have more than a few hundred items even then then you've probably won the war.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Tary wrote:I get that it's a 'dream,' and all that. But some sense of realism is required. Why do you think you'd be able to fight, that is: run around really quickly while shooting things and shouting orders while holding on to 50 things? There is literally no situation I can think of where this would be possible. If the items contained no volume or mass then maybe, but let's assume they contain some of both. That means you need to keep track of them while fighting, walking, chatting, etc. Fifty seems like a pretty good deal when you put it that way.

There's also the game balance perspective: if you could walk around holding 100 level 50+ chaks, +25 dreamsoul and +25 (whatever) elemens, along with some sweet alterors fights would never end nor would they be any fun. There is still an element of resource management I like. So if you wanted to take the 'weight' perspective to packs and say that codexes and no effect items take 0 space, then chaks should take up 3 or 4 slots, as should elemens. Is that better? Probably not.

As for using pack-mules: that's OOC so I won't even consider it.

Use teaching vaults for codices in your houses. Use vaults and armories and essence rooms in a pinch for other things. If you have more than a few hundred items even then then you've probably won the war.
If realism is the argument, in reality you can split a bag into separate containers instead of carrying one big bag. I think a happy compromise would be to have inventory tabbing for the purpose of sorting and tag the tab with the inventory count in the bag.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Agreed to a point Tary, there's a reason I don't really want to see huge packs... but carrying 50 little 1 paragraph notes is pretty easy (the average note book contains a lot more). Same with a necklace, a couple of rings, wallet, drivers license, etc. If you add up everything most of us carry on a day to day basis, I'd be surprised if we have less than 30 items on us.... and most of us dont' load out for combat after all.

If you look at a Soldiers load out for a battle pack, they have Waaay more than 50 things on them. Two Firearms, at least one close combat weapon, grenades, multiple clips of ammo for each firearm, body armor with additional armor plates, helmet, radio and headset/mic, dog tags, weapon and gear maintenance equipment, emergency rations, waterskins, etc...

What I'd like to see is sort of a "Personal effects pouch". Like a Wallet, or belt pouch or something... not a big pack for combat items. Code it so you can't put Elems/Alterors/Projectile's in it if you'd like. But the pouch would free up the main warriors pack from things like their Government ID (House ID), Jewellery (Do nothing keepsakes) and mission briefing notes (Quests) ;)

~ Jan
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
kendo
Dreamer
Character Name(s): kendo,and those two other dudes

Post by kendo »

all good ideas, i was just thinking of something very simple saying the slots available in your pack. Knowing how close to being full it is doesnt seem like it would be OOC or be difficult in regards to coding.
There is a boundary to men's passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination. -Edmund Burke

“Who needs sports stardom when you can shoot fireballs from your fingertips?”
― Ethan Gilsdorf
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

I test that by really quickly evoking lots of blades and seeing how long a row of blades I can create before it says my pack's full. Then throw out the blades and they disappear. Also, you can work it out by remembering that a full pack fills two and a half screenfuls (i.e. the amount you can see at one time without scrolling), then if yours fills one and a half, say, you know where you are. I only do the blade thing because I keep forgetting how many complete screenfuls a full pack is!

I agree, a bag exclusively for tiny items like codices, as Arnaya describes, would be very handy and make IC sense. But I don't know how difficult it would be to code, to me it's not THAT big a deal so it might be more effort than it's worth if it's a difficult thing to make the engine do.

Failing that, it might help a little (by avoiding having to carry multi-page codices, and by freeing up some space in various vaults, too) if Inscribe was the way it was in SoT, so that at higher levels you could inscribe more on a single codex. How difficult would THAT be to arrange, do you know, Tary (or anyone)? Would be a good project for the Dreamseer Guild, IC.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
SnowAngel
Dreamer

Post by SnowAngel »

In response to Tary- I personally was not thinking of filling my pack to win a war... but yes I know some would.
Honestly I want more space in my pack for trapping. Trapped mares dont go in chaos wells. Gathering burner res for trapping and then trapping will fill my pack pretty quick.

So while I totally get your point, it was not my line of thinking.
And yes "reality" sake of it.. managing that many items would be crazy but have you ever looked in a woman's purse? LOL holy hell we carry everything but the kitchen sink and can still chase after kids, pets.. Zaxun.. Lu.. etc! :lol:
James Carroll
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Noidea wrote: Also, you can work it out by remembering that a full pack fills two and a half screenfuls (i.e. the amount you can see at one time without scrolling), then if yours fills one and a half, say, you know where you are. I only do the blade thing because I keep forgetting how many complete screenfuls a full pack is!
For reference, the list size would depend on what resolution you run, higher resolution should invariably show more items than a lower resolution.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days