Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

New Underlight Maps

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

New Underlight Maps

Post by Koi-Spark »

For the longest time (forever) the only map available in Underlight has been Threshold.

It's about time we expanded that list and made more maps available. Players have been creating their own since Underlight started, like Arnaya's Maps. I'd like to invite players to submit their maps to be included in actual map items in the game, but there are a few requirements.
  • Maps should be submitted in a high-quality image format like GIF, BMP, JPG, or PNG.
  • Color depth (256 colors, 16-bit, etc.) doesn't matter, but they will be converted to a 256-color palette, so images with higher depth will lose coloring. Please use 256 when possible. If you can, please submit the indexed palette for your image for easier processing and please avoid using any of the first 32 colors of your palette in the image (they are reserved).
  • Dimensions must be 768 (w) x 480 (h).
  • Room names should not be shown in the game version (right-clicking on the map in the game will tell you the room names), but please submit a second image with room names shown so it's easier for us to process.
  • Map should show clear connections of portals, especially two-way connections to make it easy for someone to figure a navigable path from one room to another. Portals to/from other planes should be shown in some way. See next bullet.
  • Like the Threshold Map, include a legend of any special annotations, such as portals to other planes. If you want to add a special marker for sanctuaries, generators, or nightmare spawn points, that's a bonus that will get your map extra love from other players.
  • The map should have the name of the plane clearly shown.
  • If you'd like credit for your submission, be sure to put your character's name in a corner somewhere like the fancy artists do. Keep it small, though. It doesn't need to be an overwhelming billboard exclaiming how awesome you are.
  • To make it fit better with the theme of the game, please limit any text to use the Underlight font.
  • Overall, make it something you're proud to put your name on. Color is not your enemy, but keep in mind the limited palette (see below). While a plain white background with black boxes and black lines is clear and easy to read, it's very boring and is not going to look good in the game.
Not a Rembrandt with Photoshop? No worries! Here's an example we cooked up using PowerPoint. Yeah, if you can draw shapes and use PowerPoint to add textures, 3D effects, shadows, and all that fancy stuff, you can build a great map. This isn't a great map, but it was very quick to make and it works well in the end. I present to you, The Citadel:
This image was created entirely in PowerPoint using shapes and text boxes. Then go to Save As and select file type .gif.
Don't forget to submit a second version with the room names shown, which can be just text boxes added at each room.

Here is the same map reduced to a 256-color palette:

You can see rooms and their connections. You can get from a to b following the map. And it still looks better than black boxes on a white background!

So, to make sure we're not duplicating efforts, before you start working on anything, check this thread for who is creating what. If a plane you want to map isn't already taken, reply to this post with the plane you are going to map. So everyone has a chance, just "check out" one plane at a time! When you submit your map, then you can "check out" the next map and keep going. We hope we'll get enough submissions (or any) before the next patch so your work can be available to everyone.

Available to everyone? But aren't GMs the only characters with the ability to Forge map items?
Right now, that is true. But in this next patch (with these new maps), we'll also be adding a new title for Forgers to get. Cartographer, Map Smith, Plane Drawing Person, Grand Mapper, or whatever it ends up being. Only those with that title will have the ability to forge map items! How do you get this title, you ask? By submitting a map graphic that gets included in the patch. Easy. Then you get to Forge maps of all (available) planes for your friends, for newlies, for whomever. Maps are one item that can't really be abused. Now that I say that, you'll all find some way to exploit and abuse them. Please don't. Can't we just have nice things? This isn't completely definite as we may go another route, but it's a likely option.

Okay, that's enough of that. My posts are always so lengthy. Sorry about that. I like to be generous with my information.

You can post your submissions here for everyone to see (and up-vote, I guess), but PLEASE send copies to me, email spark at underlight.com.

Thanks!
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Toregord
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Toregord and others

Re: New Underlight Maps

Post by Toregord »

I can do Illapse plane..
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Is there a name for the Underlight font?
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Lol, well... I'm out on this one. Good luck everyone, I look forward to seeing the maps in game :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Cherokee wrote:Is there a name for the Underlight font?
Great question! It's actually the Underlight font. Lyra released it in their Windows theme pack years ago, but you can download it again at http://download.underlight.com/UNDERLIGHT.TTF
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Thanks, Spark. That helps!
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Arnaya wrote:Lol, well... I'm out on this one. Good luck everyone, I look forward to seeing the maps in game :)
No! The idea is to make map-making accessible to everyone. If you don't have PowerPoint, there are free versions that can do the same thing. I'd recommend Google Slides. Add some simple shapes (rectangles, circles, whatever you want to use), then add a border, a shadow, a fill color/texture. Connect the boxes with lines of whatever style you like. Every plane is unique, so it is fitting that every map be unique. You've made excellent maps before and you can easily translate them into a PowerPoint map. Load your map as a background image on the slide, then draw the boxes/lines over your drawn map. When you're done, change the slide background to a nice blue gradient or something that looks good. All in all, it's probably easier and faster than the maps you've already made, they just need a new style format ;)

Don't be discouraged! Give it a shot and you may be surprised just how good things may turn out.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion of programs Spark :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

Total rough draft, just to see if I am on the right track...
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Butterfly, you've got the right idea, but keep in mind that the map should be for the entire plane (Teaching Guild) and not just a single room.

Putting the houses in order around the Archive is a good idea, but instead of all that text, you could use house emblems like the Threshold Map. Don't use words when symbols will do - they take up less space.

For the focus halls, you could use the focus icons that show next to art names on the Arts tab. (W) (I) (R) (L), maybe show a halo for the hall of Ordainment, and maybe a screencap or other representation of the wings from the main entrance room. Each of the museum rooms has unique features, too.

Great start! Well on your way to a terrific map to be included
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Malarky wrote:Working on Lower Umbric Plains

How are the names going to be displayed? The original map I don't recall having room names on it?
Koi-Spark wrote:Room names should not be shown in the game version (right-clicking on the map in the game will tell you the room names), but please submit a second image with room names shown so it's easier for us to process.
Your map looks great so far, and I like that there are some detailed shapes to each room, but the layout is very confusing. These maps, as I said, should show some clear connections to know where the portals connect between rooms, maybe with arrows if the portal is one-way.

Excellent work so far! Can't wait to see the finished version.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Koi-Spark wrote:
Malarky wrote:Working on Lower Umbric Plains

How are the names going to be displayed? The original map I don't recall having room names on it?
Koi-Spark wrote:Room names should not be shown in the game version (right-clicking on the map in the game will tell you the room names), but please submit a second image with room names shown so it's easier for us to process.
Your map looks great so far, and I like that there are some detailed shapes to each room, but the layout is very confusing. These maps, as I said, should show some clear connections to know where the portals connect between rooms, maybe with arrows if the portal is one-way. And keep in mind most of those colors/textures will probably get washed out.

Excellent work so far! Can't wait to see the finished version.
My only issue with making the map too intuitive is that many rooms are not intuitive. Wrapping your head around the XY coords of some rooms isn't possible because they aren't really next to each other. The portals just make it appear that way. I'll work on it with a focus on making the map more user friendly though!
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Malarky wrote:My only issue with making the map too intuitive is that many rooms are not intuitive. Wrapping your head around the XY coords of some rooms isn't possible because they aren't really next to each other. The portals just make it appear that way. I'll work on it with a focus on making the map more user friendly though!
You are absolutely right - most planes have some general sense of direction and layout, but sometimes there is just no possible way rooms would be connected like that in reality, so it's hard to represent accurately on a map. Bou can certainly arrange the room boxes/icons around in a way that makes sense, then show the portal connections just by connecting lines/arrows between the room shapes. They in no way have to line up with the actual coordinates of rooms. Assigning map coordinates to actual rooms is done in post-processing, so you don't have to worry about it.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Quick question: The palette being used for this map. Is it custom or was it based on the level for the map?

I wonder if it wouldn't work better to use the palette for the wall textures on the Lower Umbric on this map. 99% of the colors for the map are from the map itself. Foliage, slime water, rock, etc.

I hate recoloring. Anyone know how to bit-shift from one palette to another?
Brother Timothy
Dreamer

Post by Brother Timothy »

I remember making some in the original underlight
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

I do still think it would be much easier to understand if you joined the portals together - say, just with a solid white band, or a pair of lines, between the position of a portal in one room and the corresponding one in the next. I do very much like seeing the shapes of the rooms on this one, you must have taken a lot of trouble over that!
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

This file is provided as is with no warranties or guarantees for artists creating assets using the above PNG. I took the time to create a custom pal file to use for your imaging programs so you don't have to try and troubleshoot colors. The colors are very limited on this palette so keep that in mind when you make your picture using this palette. Everything appears to be blue shifted.

http://www.filedropper.com/ulmappal

I also don't know how long the host will keep this file available so keep that in mind it will eventually expire.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Ok, I've modified things a bit here. Don't worry about using the pre-defined palette, just create your own and submit it (via email to me) with your finished map image. If the software you use doesn't allow you to export a palette, no worries - I'll take care of that on my side, too.

This is going to take me a lot longer to process submissions for the patch, but I think it's worth the difference in potential quality.

With that said, if you create multiple maps, please try to re-use existing palettes (from either of the images I posted, or from your own submissions) as much as possible.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Toregord
Dreamer

Post by Toregord »

Just a rough draft but is this kind of the right pathway?

Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Toregord,
We don't really need to reinvent the Thresh Map as it already exists. I may add a pathway to the Provenance, but otherwise it's still a functioning map. Regardless, you have the GOE crest twice on there and you're missing POR between HC and KOES.

Malarky,
That map looks pretty spiffy. I think I would space the rooms out a little more and make the connecting lines a little thicker for clarity, but overall I'd say it's looking much clearer. I'm sorry I changed the palette instructions after you'd already started work on this - the added tans and greens in the rooms looked great. Since you can use whatever palette you need now, do you want to change it back?
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Toregord
Dreamer

Post by Toregord »

Koi-Spark wrote:Toregord,
We don't really need to reinvent the Thresh Map as it already exists. I may add a pathway to the Provenance, but otherwise it's still a functioning map. Regardless, you have the GOE crest twice on there and you're missing POR between HC and KOES.
I was aware of it.. Was asking if it's more or less what you were looking for in terms.. of a map.. In context with the icons, pathways, and symbols.. It's not even close to what I am doing just something thrown together in 5 minutes.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Toregord wrote:
I was aware of it.. Was asking if it's more or less what you were looking for in terms.. of a map.. In context with the icons, pathways, and symbols.. It's not even close to what I am doing just something thrown together in 5 minutes.
Yes, that is the general idea. Just be sure each room is represented somehow. It's good to differentiate major rooms/landmarks from minor pathways. For Threshold, each house room and Provenance could be considered the "major" rooms while the in-between halls are minor and don't need anything fancy. Using Edgeward Barrows as an example, you may want to make the Gold and Earth (FreeSpirit) Sanctuaries major points, as well as the Lake of Tears and Ring of Passage. The rest are basically pathways to/from/around each of the landmarks.

Excellent work so far, everyone. I'm excited to see the great stuff everyone includes! I may actually do a map of Edgeward today to get a break from everything else I've been doing ;)
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Significant update to map to fix a portal misappropriated.

Lower Umbric Plains V 1.6

Final Update pending any future suggestions to improve

Lower Umbric Plains V 1.7

Significant updates and new palette.
Replaced all rooms with higher resolution sprites.
Updated palette replacing indices to expedite use.

Lower Umbric Plains V 1.8

Updated Palette
http://www.filedropper.com/updatedmap

Extended legend
Added Malarky Seal

Lower Umbric Plains V 1.9

Palette
http://www.filedropper.com/updatedmap

Next Map "Upper Umbric Plains"
Last edited by Malarky on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Here's a new map of Edgeward Barrows. What do you think?

Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Mmmm, flow charting.

Almost as fun as spreadsheets.(Not sarcasm. Spreadsheets and flow charting are awesome when you can make them)
Last edited by Malarky on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.