Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Join Party and XP gains.

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Re: Join Party and XP gains.

Post by Cherokee »

23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

While on the topic of not gaining XP. Being able to choose not to gain party XP would be nice too. Some people have no desire to max quickly, especially once they reach the required orbit to gain a task.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Sidas wrote:While on the topic of not gaining XP. Being able to choose not to gain party XP would be nice too. Some people have no desire to max quickly, especially once they reach the required orbit to gain a task.
Just put a length response up on that other thread, but I'll follow up here a bit and say that I think this suggestion does have some level of merit. Evoke an art (let's just call it "Channel Experience" for fun, huh?) on a party member. While the art is active (for x minutes, depending on plateau) any party xp shares you gain are diverted to that party member. So if you're maxed, you can volunteer any xp headed your way just goes to your party member.

That sounds pretty damn slick, actually. I like that. Now to determine what it will cost. Maybe a Power Token, but even with a PT Bequeath costs twice as much xp as is rewarded. So instead of 100% of your xp shares, maybe it's 75%? Let me see if I did my math right:

If it's just you and one party member and he decides to Channel his share to you, you'd get your 666 plus 75% of his 333 share (250 xp). That still brings you to 915 of the original 1000 xp, so say 85xp of that (8.5%) is lost from Channeling. Or maybe the share he Channels is greater at higher plateaus, in addition to the increased duration?

This is all just brainstorming, so please feel free to discuss it further. Aspects you like, aspects you don't. Here are a few other ideas of the top of my head:

The art would probably be DreamSoul, but likely not learnable until at least 3rd sphere, but probably more like 4th or 5th.
To remove the effect, either leave party or evoke Channel Experience again.
If you leave party (manually or by changing planes or waking or Break Covenant or whatever) you will have to evoke Channel Experience again after rejoining the party to activate it again. It won't automatically resume.
You cannot Channel Experience more than one party member at a time, but one party member could have multiple channels flowing to them.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Xan
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Xanthicus

Post by Xan »

I kinda like it.
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

Perhaps Channel Energy targets party leader by default?
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Oooo, I like that one spark. If I might chime in with a suggestion? (I know, complete surprise. No one saw that coming ;) )

Name: Channel Energy
Focus: Dreamsoul
Orbit Learned: 25 (Sorry, there's enough 3rd sphere arts learned already... and this would allow for the higher and lower level characters to mix more with penalizing the higher sphere's hunting)
Cost: 15 Dreamsoul (PT requirement I think might be a bit much. No reason I can see to make something like this a house art unless it was RP created that way)
Duration: 5 minutes, plus 5 minutes per plateau
Effect: Channels 50%(+5% per plateau. So 55% at 10, 60% at 20, 65% at 30, 70% at 40, 75% at 50, 80% at 60, 85% at 70, 90% at 80, and 95% at 90) of experience gained to a selected party member.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

Blade wrote:
coltdorsey wrote:
On the topic of gaining experience, I would really love to see experience not get wasted to maxed party members. If the person cannot gain experience, then divide the shared experience to the remaining party members who can.
A lot of times, people do not want to hunt, because they cannot gain anything and the other person still gets a fraction of the XP. Why not allow it to give the full gain to the person who is not maxed?

Also, bigger than 4 people parties.
Good idea, Blade and Colt and Spark

I like Sidas"s idea too. Since some people really may only need 1k to max or orbit and they are in party to collapse a horron. Or sometimes we may just want to help someone pad a sphere. Etc

I even like your suggestion, Arnaya! :p
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

FrigginAwesome wrote:Perhaps Channel Energy targets party leader by default?
If so, the ability to promote party member or at least promote a new party member by default if the leader disbands would be nice.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Very much agree with this idea!
Just one suggestion: maybe call the art "Channel Strength" rather than "Channel Energy", since "strength" is generally used as the thinly disguised IC way of saying "XP", whereas "energy" is used variously to refer to XP, energy from essences and sometimes other things too. I often find myself having to stop and ask people to clarify which they're talking about when they say something about "energy" (and all without using the word "XP"!) "Channel Experience" would be OK too, in my opinion; when, OOC, you gain XP, your character is, IC, "learning from experience", so that could be a perfectly reasonable IC description of what you're doing.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Noidea wrote:Very much agree with this idea!
Just one suggestion: maybe call the art "Channel Strength" rather than "Channel Energy", since "strength" is generally used as the thinly disguised IC way of saying "XP", whereas "energy" is used variously to refer to XP, energy from essences and sometimes other things too. I often find myself having to stop and ask people to clarify which they're talking about when they say something about "energy" (and all without using the word "XP"!) "Channel Experience" would be OK too, in my opinion; when, OOC, you gain XP, your character is, IC, "learning from experience", so that could be a perfectly reasonable IC description of what you're doing.
Yes. Yes. Yes. You are correct. Symantics are important and players like to be nit-picky (e.g. "Library of SOULS, SOULspheres, FreeSOULS, OpenSOULS...they all prove Illumination to be correct! It's in their names!") Don't want to upset the masses by giving an art the wrong name ;)

I like Channel Experience. Hopefully it's not too long to code. Maybe just shorten it to #bless.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
coltdorsey
Dreamer

Post by coltdorsey »

October 2016 Patch - Any chance this suggestion is accounted for in the upcoming patch?
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

coltdorsey wrote:October 2016 Patch - Any chance this suggestion is accounted for in the upcoming patch?
It was the second new feature in the list ...
New Features

Art of Rally
To be introduced in-game.
Art of Channel
To be introduced in-game.
coltdorsey
Dreamer

Post by coltdorsey »

Oops, I must have overlooked that. Thanks!