Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Support Tokens

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Support Tokens

Post by coltdorsey »

Any chance we could have the creator id changed from a number to the player name? Target ID is also a number instead of a player's name.
coltdorsey
Dreamer

Re: Support Tokens

Post by coltdorsey »

Blade wrote:Keep better track of who you've gotten support tokens from!
Or I could post a game suggestion :)
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

I agree. If it wouldn't be a difficult change to code, it would definitely makes things easier on us to keep track of supporters.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
coltdorsey
Dreamer

Post by coltdorsey »

Cherokee wrote:I agree. If it wouldn't be a difficult change to code, it would definitely makes things easier on us to keep track of supporters.
I would be surprised if the suggested change is a difficult one. It should be pretty low hanging fruit. If it can output the actor/character id, the names should be just as accessible to output.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Ah, how easy it is to assume how things are coded!

In fact, support tokens don't store the target or creator ID directly. It's actually a mix of high and low bit values. In the case of support train (or sphere) tokens, the full creator ID isn't stored at all, so it can't be translated back into a name, which would actually require an additional server ping to query the database to retrieve the name because your supporters aren't always in the same room with you when you ID the tokens. In fact, these additional fields in support tokens don't really need to be shown when Identified because they're essentially meaningless to everyone. At best, we could make the Art ID show the name rather than a number, but since the art's name is already shown in the token's item name, it would just be redundant.

I do wish item names were long enough to include like "Thunderman's Identify Support for BladeSlayer" to clear up any confusion, but that's not likely to happen, either, for various (and similar) reasons.

So yeah, while I do like the suggestion, making it actually work would mean going down a rabbit hole I'm just not too keen to explore at this juncture. With memory leaks and crashes and increased network traffic and all that mess, I'm sure you understand.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Ouch, yeah... please keep the game running before playing with stuff like that. Thank you very much ;)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
coltdorsey
Dreamer

Post by coltdorsey »

Koi-Spark wrote: So yeah, while I do like the suggestion, making it actually work would mean going down a rabbit hole I'm just not too keen to explore at this juncture. With memory leaks and crashes and increased network traffic and all that mess, I'm sure you understand.
Thanks for looking in to it.