Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Teaching Ideas

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Rafael
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rafe, Takalia

Teaching Ideas

Post by Rafael »

Other places are to points of offering new skills or arts, passive or active in diverse ways for simplification, server loads, graphics loads etc. The self teaching mini tasks are very marvelous as is finding teachers with fewer active dreamers. Idea, iverify self teaching further down. Some are knowledge junkies to other that just like a fight. So think of all the other ways teaching works, or doesn't work :idea:
The dream is out there, we can make it real
~Rafaella
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: Teaching Ideas

Post by Arnaya »

Umm.... sorry, I don't really follow what your saying. I think you mean that teachers should be creative in tasking and take the student into account, but its kinda hard to follow so I'm not sure :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Nor do I, sorry. D'you remember what it was you were trying to say? I'm curious now.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

THREAD HIJACK!

Having been back in the game for about a month now, what I've noticed is that EVERYONE is waiting on Elders for progression. Every day, it's common to hear every dreamer in the room agree that they wish a particular Elder would dream so they could progress, or ask if anyone has seen a particular Elder recently (cursing if they missed them).

So I'm going to break this into two suggestions:

The first is that we need to make Train improvements much easier to get. Train plats for 10, 20, 30, and 40 should really be a matter of simply approaching an elder with "X" number of sample quests, do a quick interview to ease the Elder's fears, and get your plat on the spot. In all honesty, that's what they ask us to do most of the time in tasks anyways, so lets cut out the step where we have to wait in line for them to write it up first. I personally don't see a problem with that method continuing with 50 up train plats, but I could also see merit in having stricter requirements.

I understand that in the past it was hoped that we'd be questing at our train for the average player base, which was much lower then. Now everyone's mostly fifth sphere or higher. They don't need a 20 or 30 plat anymore, and most don't want them for junk arts. This mode of thinking is outdated, and doesn't work in this evolved game. A 40 plat is the new 20 plat, nothing special. Not only that, but it's apparent that the Elders are being pushed to their limits. The entire population of the game could be mid fight with Zaxun, and if Akkadian entered the threshold, 90% of the combatants would drop the fight to get into a quest line. I have to imagine that the current level of time requirement is taxing for the Elder drivers.

The second thing I'd like to see is suspected dreaming schedules for Elders. Before you get out the pitchforks, I'm not suggesting that we require Elder controllers to be in the game at a specific time like it's a job, or that there should be a "set in stone" schedule. What I'd like is just a heads up from Elders about what days and times they THINK they might be in the game to teach, so that we might plan accordingly. Randomly waiting all day for an Elder, to find you missed them in a two hour break is pretty demoralizing. Especially for those of us who dream off DST peak hours.

I'd love to see a post from the Elder drivers, updated each week when they can, just listing some suspected times you might find them in the city. These times will obviously change weekly, won't be set in stone or assured visits, but would at least give some of us with time constraints some ability to predict where we need to be for the best chance to find one.

It will also give us, as a community, an idea of any gaps in coverage that might need to be filled.

Again, this is NOT a call for accountability, or setting Elders to a schedule. I completely respect, appreciate, and value the efforts these people put into our beloved game, and they do a great job. I would just LOVE to read a post on the forums from them saying something like: "I should be in the game for an hour or so around 3pm DST", so I could plan accordingly. And I'm sure others would too. It won't stop us from dreaming when they aren't around, but it will encourage progression; which encourages playing regularly; which encourages population growth; which encourages a healthy roleplaying game.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Voxaroth wrote: The second thing I'd like to see is suspected dreaming schedules for Elders. Before you get out the pitchforks, I'm not suggesting that we require Elder controllers to be in the game at a specific time like it's a job, or that there should be a "set in stone" schedule. What I'd like is just a heads up from Elders about what days and times they THINK they might be in the game to teach, so that we might plan accordingly. Randomly waiting all day for an Elder, to find you missed them in a two hour break is pretty demoralizing. Especially for those of us who dream off DST peak hours.

I'd love to see a post from the Elder drivers, updated each week when they can, just listing some suspected times you might find them in the city. These times will obviously change weekly, won't be set in stone or assured visits, but would at least give some of us with time constraints some ability to predict where we need to be for the best chance to find one.

It will also give us, as a community, an idea of any gaps in coverage that might need to be filled.

Again, this is NOT a call for accountability, or setting Elders to a schedule. I completely respect, appreciate, and value the efforts these people put into our beloved game, and they do a great job. I would just LOVE to read a post on the forums from them saying something like: "I should be in the game for an hour or so around 3pm DST", so I could plan accordingly. And I'm sure others would too. It won't stop us from dreaming when they aren't around, but it will encourage progression; which encourages playing regularly; which encourages population growth; which encourages a healthy roleplaying game.
This. I've tried several times to get an idea of when GMMTs would be around. I don't think people understand how impossible it is to run into one when you don't play after a set time. This is compounded when there are no regular teachers (or a very minimal amount) that can even help you.

There was a time when Avris and Herbert made it a point to login during east coast times to give support but that hasn't happened in some time. I can personally fudge my schedule to stay later if I knew a GMMT would be around but can't justify it just to stand around listening to random Sanctuary arguments.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I still think that the RP point Plat option would be a great way to relieve some of this stress on elders especially since it gives a self teaching option outside of MTs
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days