Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Art Suggestion MEGATHREAD

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Art Suggestion MEGATHREAD

Post by FrigginAwesome »

You know what's fun? Suggesting changes or entirely new arts for the game. The ideas are fun, and spark role-play, and in general are awesome. So I'd like to start this thread to be a MEGATHREAD, containing tons and tons of art suggestions, changes, etc, etc. If you want to post a suggestion, post it here! If you want to discuss a suggestion, DON'T POST IT HERE! If you want to suggest an art suggestion, please create a new thread, quoting this thread with the suggestion you want to talk about, and then discuss! We can comment on that thread, without losing the integrity of the megathread as it devolves into discussion. Much more organized that way.

That being said, allow me to kick it off with an art suggestion I've had in mind for ages:

Extrasensory: Dreamsoul art, orbit 45
Evoke Speed: Medium
Duration: 5min + 5min per plateau, On/Off functionality like Mind Blank.
Cost: 15 Dreamsoul
Effect: Whenever someone locates you specifically (not via list, but individually YOU), you are notified that you were located.

Maybe at higher plateuas, you could determine who was locating you, or maybe where they located you from (kinda like a reflected locate dreamers!).

I think this'd be awesome for a number of reasons. It could be used as a signal of sorts, over planar distances. Like, timing an ambush from two different planes onto one, signal being locating a specific person.
Or it's simply helpful to know that someone is looking for you, so you can come to see them (if you want to see them).
Or if you're being hunted, it's useful to know that they're searching for you. Hunters have to be careful; do they locate that person specifically, knowing that'll alarm them? Or hunt using locate list, without specific knowledge of their location to maintain stealth?
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Ward Change

Post by FrigginAwesome »

Another change I've recently come up with, has to do with Ward.

Wards, when created upon a portal that has no surface (such as pool-portals, like in Threshold Pits, or another one I can think of in Threshold Caves) are able to be pushed around, moved. When they're moved around, you notice that block movement and chakram fire.

If wards could be created independently of portals, that'd make a really cool tactical power for GateKeepers. They could create pushable barriers that help/hinder in battle.

We could make this a separate art, with a name like Barrier (or something else clever), or we could make it so Ward can simply be cast away from a portal, creating a physical barrier wherever it is evoked. I'd say we'd need to limit the number summoned per Keeper, maybe to 1 unbound ward, plus 1 per plateau of Ward?

And if the holder the Keeper's amulet allowed movement/firing through their wards, that'd further enhance Keeper's powers with this. Just a cool thought, I think. Unlikely to ever be implemented in game, but it's fun to think up what fun things we could do.
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Rig Random

Post by FrigginAwesome »

A fun idea I'd thought of in game, (or Restel came up with it? we sorta came up with it together, I can't remember who mentioned it first) was an art that could rig someone's random result. So, my outline for it...

Rig Random: Lucidity Art, Minor. Orbit 45 (65 non-Senders)
Evoke speed: Medium
Cost: 5 Lucidity
Duration: 1 minute + 1 minute per plateau. (Or until next Random evoke)
Effect: When evoked, select a number between 1-100. Select your target. Creates an "invisible effect" on a dreamer, as Curse does. They cannot sense that they have been rigged, after it has taken effect. Maybe a 50% chance someone knows they've been rigged, with -5% per plateau, leading up to a 5% chance at 9th plateau? This would show in the same way that Judgment does, -- like, sometimes you can see the evoke targeting you, sometimes you can't.

If the duration runs out without them evoking Random, it tells them something like "You sense the Chaos leaves you" or some flavorful notification like that. But if they evoke random while rigged, it shows the number they were rigged for, with the random-evoker none the wiser (unless they sensed the evoke in the first place).
Jones
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jones Shaw

Re: Art Suggestion MEGATHREAD

Post by Jones »

Holler

Learnable at orbit 30

Cost - 25 Dreamsoul - It is so expensive because it would take a lot out of you to yell THAT loud :lol:

Duration - n/a

A dreamwide "Shout"

I thought of this tonight when Jones was waiting for people to come to Bardic and saw them scattered all over the dream.

:)
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

I've been thinking about the following improvement for the arts of Banish Nightmare, Imprison Nightmare, and Cleanse Nightmare:

At level 1, each would remove up to ten strength from the nightmare essence/chaos well they were used on, and reward the Soulmaster with 5xp per strength banished/imprisoned/cleansed. Each plateau would allow for an additional 10 strength to be purged per evoke, and would grant an additional 5xp per strength drained.

These arts should also probably be reduced to be learnable at Orbit 30, instead of 50.

The houses "prime artifacts" are my precedent for the changes, as they manage to do their job and gain strength in the process. As of right now, these arts feel pretty useless to me, and I don't think any Soulmaster has any reason to use them outside of roleplaying purposes (and even then, you don't even need the art to roleplay)

Using a 50 strength trapped bogrom essence as a measuring stick, you'd get the following additional experience for using one of the essence arts on them:
L: 250xp
1: 500xp
2: 750xp
3: 1000xp
4: 1250xp
5: 1500xp
6: 1750xp
7: 2000xp
8: 2250xp
9: 2500xp
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

Its certainly a creative way and alternate way to gain additional experience. Assuming the experience is calculated and pooled into the sum received when collapsing the nightmare, I'd recommend this experience be shared across party members if one exists.

On the topic of gaining experience, I would really love to see experience not get wasted to maxed party members. If the person cannot gain experience, then divide the shared experience to the remaining party members who can.
Edited Update: 6/9/2016 - Allow xp gains to carry over from orbit to orbit. There are so many times I'm 50k away from an orbit and collapse a Darkmare and lose out on 150k. (Thanks Voxaroth for reminding me of this limitation)

Join Party - If a party leader leaves the party whether intentionally or not, the party is not broken because a new party leader is assigned automatically. Probably default to a teacher/ranked member since they can benefit from being party leader. If all parties are a teacher or ranked, pick one randomly.

Locate Dreamer - Allow for a larger list of stored names, or allow multiple lists.

Inventory - Quest codexes and support tokens should not count towards pack space.

These are more game mechanics/implementations than art suggestions, which I think could be harder to "roleplay" the changes.
Last edited by coltdorsey on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

I'd love to see a party and/or house whisper function, similar to Guild chat on other games. I guess this would be more of a function along with shout, talk, and whisper.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

How about not requiring PT's for "bequeath" (for freespirits) because in all honesty, not many would "abuse" bequeath, due to the fact that whatever you give to someone, it also takes that same amount from you.. so in bequeathing 10,000 to Bob, jane loses 20,000.
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Cianne wrote:How about not requiring PT's for "bequeath" (for freespirits) because in all honesty, not many would "abuse" bequeath, due to the fact that whatever you give to someone, it also takes that same amount from you.. so in bequeathing 10,000 to Bob, jane loses 20,000.
The concern is more that you use it to substitute letting someone float you for free XP. I'd rather see them keep the PT requirement and up the maximum to like 100k.
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Something like would never even cross my mind Sidas, but yes, I guess you're right. Just such a lovely "tool" (bequeath, not Sidas :lol: )
but incredibly difficult to use. oh well.
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Art: Totem

Extrasensory: Dreamsoul, Orbit 40
Evoke Speed: Long
Duration: 30seconds+10seconds per plat.
Cost: All willpower/resilience/insight/lucidity (The more power consumed the longer the effect per charge use)

Effect: This art allows the dreamer to create a totem that hosts a limited charge talisman on the ground. It can not be lifted, carried or moved and only one totem per caster is possible. The totem has a charge limit largely effected by the amount of energy consumed to create it and only applies a set effect based on sphere of the totem owner. Once the totem is used up it shatters.

Abilities to imbue into the totem might include:
Resist Paralyze Aura GK
Resist Poison Aura SM
Resist Blind Aura DS
Resist Fear Aura FS

Created this in blender today to inspire

The Totem
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Art: Lift

Extrasensory: Lucidity, Orbit 5
Evoke Speed: short
Duration: N/A
Cost: 2 Lucidity

Effect: This art will pick up any essences that are around you within a short range
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Post by Clarity »

1. Always said we should swap Deafen for Stagger in the major/minor art category and learnable level. Make Stagger a minor, learned at 1st/3rd, and Deafen at 4th. Deafen is a FS' only non-defensible art. Stagger is covered under FA and basically useless unless used as a throw away for art protection reduction. This would give young fatesenders access to the very core of their focus - controlers - early enough to prepare for arts like Paralyze down the road, and give higher sphered FS a single undefended art to play with that no one else gets. So, swap them!

2. Cauterize - Fifth Sphere Major
Lucidity 25
Cast time: Slow, reduced 1/2 evoke cone per plat.
Backfire rate: High, reduced per plat
"Abjures" Poison and/or Bleed effects, depending on which has higher duration, doing the full damage in one shot rather then over time.
Backfire: Does the damage to the caster, rather then the target.
On Reflect: Blasts caster for 1-5 damage, does not increase per plat.

Line of sight optional to keep it from being to over-powered, but I kind of like the idea of Fatesenders never needing to see their target directly to be able to control them. Early plats you'd bank on the backfire and use it on allies. Later plats you'd bank on the intended usage. Gives more weight to the synergy FS and SM have already. Counter's poison in a unique way, and gives Fatesenders at higher spheres a chance to better utilize their own Razorwind mechanic.
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

Some ideas are mine, others are from different people, but I like the following additions to Soulmaster:

Changed Arts

Banish, Cleanse, and Imprison Nightmare: Evoking these arts on a Chaos Well or individual essence to create a token worth X strength, where X is the strength of the Well or essence it was used on. Clicking on one Banish/Cleanse/Imprison token will absorb all others of the same name, adding their strength into one token. Tokens may be consumed by primes. 10% chance to fail, destroying the well/essence it's used on; -1% chance to fail per plat.

The arts become much larger wells for strength for SM's to carry. They might need a strength cap, they might not (being collapsed and losing a huge one is probably deterrent enough, and could potentially make them auto-drop on collapse). Also, I was thinking that if added to a mismatched prime (Banished token added to Imprisoning prime, for example), they might suffer a strength loss penalty. These strength tokens will be the basis for the new SM art below, Create Soul Token.

Healing Aura: Requires and consumes a Power Token; selected target gains +1-2 health (at the same tick rate as poison)(+1 health on the high end per plat) for 1 minute (+1 minute per plat).

Basically losing the semi useless and costly AoE heal, and becoming a reverse poison, healing dreamsoul instead of draining it. This was someone elses idea (Aileron's maybe?), but I really liked it. Especially since losing Healing Aura as a dual focused dreamer really doesn't feel too punishing atm.

The Power Token requirement will make more sense with the Create Soul Token art below.

New Art

Create Soul Token: Remove 200 strength (-10 strength per plat) from a Banish/Cleanse/Imprison Token to create a Power Token- Soulmaster.

Allows SM's to create Power Tokens, however at a higher cost than those created by the prime artifacts (200 isn't set in stone, could be tweaked). These can be used for Enhancing Forge or using House Arts. I've also proposed the following Resilience arts for enhancement by power tokens as well:

Power Token Enhanced Resilience Arts

Abjure - Consumes a power token for an increased chance to remove an additional art from target (%TBD), and reduce chance of it being reflected (%TBD)

Curse - Consumes a power token to increase fail chance by an additional (%TBD) on the evoked target.

Reweave - Consumes a power token to set the current durability of a non-forged shield to equal maximum durability +10 (+10 durability per plat).

Any power token would work to enhance these, even from house primes.

So with Enhnaced Reweave, you wouldn't be able to keep stacking durability, as it would check against the shield's durability cap, and then change the current durability accordingly (setting it higher, but not enabling it to be continually enhanced). Using it on a 99 max durability shield with 29 reweave, for example, would modify the shield to have a current durabilty of 129 with a maximum durability of 99 still. This enhancement could be used by any focus, since it's a minor art. Obviously can't be used on forged shields because Bladeslayer/Dreiko.
Last edited by Voxaroth on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

See I like Voxaroth idea, it shows increased cost, to use an art. It was the same with the energy arts, you wanted the convenience, pay for it.
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Inherent abilities:

GK already have bonus damage

Proposed inherent abilities for other foci include

Dreamseer Diffused: Dreamers with insight are able to redistribute the duration of effects currently on them by way of diffusion. A seer for example with FA 1 min could double it by evoking a 2min vision. Now the dreamer has 1 min vis and 2 min fa.

Each evoke of the primary art used to diffuse the other stats would be divided between the number of stats on the evoker.

Soulmaster Healing Essence: Dreamers with resilience take damage at a standard rate however are restored for most of that damage back in a heal over time that occurs seconds after not taking damage.

Fatesender Stormborn: All negative effects evoked on the Fatesender also restore some of all of their elements except Dreamsoul at the same time. A curse could restore all stats if used repeatedly.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Something like what Malarky said, it's been said in the past that giving something to each focus would help balance, like SM boosting restore and drain self as per GK damage. Senders increasing duration of their Lucidity arts by their FS plat and Seers.....yeah...poor freakin Seers.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days