Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Our public image! MMORPG.com and Wikipedia

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Our public image! MMORPG.com and Wikipedia

Post by Noidea »

We used to have an entry on www.MMORPG.com, but I've just found that we don't any more. I think it maybe went when Shades of Truth closed down and never got replaced. I'd like to put it back up there. Their forums are a place where people discuss MMORPGs in general, which every so often leads to talking about what games are a bit different from the usual. I've mentioned Underlight on the latest such discussion, but really Underlight should have a page of its own, too! (It's rather frightening just how similar most of the MMORPGs listed on that site are, and what a tiny, tiny difference is hailed as a "major new innovation", compared to the gulf between Underlight, say, and all of them!)

The only thing is that according to their rules, to be eligible a game has to have "the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server". (N.B. It doesn't have to HAVE that many users - it just has to be CAPABLE of supporting them if they turned up.) Do we? If not, then that's the end of that. (I don't remember them having that rule before.)

Also, what's the situation with our Wikipedia page? Currently it only has two sentences apart from the links, though at least it does have the links and no longer uses the past tense. The problem seemed to be that there was no third-party source to reference, and one of our devs said that the game was to be reviewed in a computer magazine or website soon, and the editors said yes, that would do as a source, and then nothing seems to have happened.
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Tary
Dreamer

Re: Our public image! MMORPG.com and Wikipedia

Post by Tary »

Yes, the server can support 500+ players, and I imagine our hardware will not even blink at it.
Noidea
Dreamer

Post by Noidea »

Excellent! Thanks Tary. I wasn't sure because I remembered having heard some reference to the system not being able to take more than 50 dreamers logged in at one time - but that was in SoT and of course that wasn't the same server software at all. I'll try and fix up an MMORPG.com entry for us when I have the energy, then.

I almost feel it isn't necessary, as we seem to be having an influx of new players over the last month or two! Vee, Yae, Cadirand, Toregord, and those are just the ones I with my weird hours have encountered. (Apologies if I'm mistaken and any of you aren't in fact really new!) But I guess the first rule of Underlight is still "no such thing as too many new visitors"?

I thought of another possible idea for publicity, by the way, for future reference. What about Project Wonderful? They do web advertising, but in a rather different way from usual - if I'm understanding the system correctly, you choose particular sites you want to bid to advertise on, and they in turn can refuse any bids they don't like. I thought of them because they are pretty much the only web adverts I actually like - I normally never click on web adverts, but I frequently do look at those because they genuinely are usually for things that interest me; I mostly see them on sites for small games and webcomics, advertising other small games and webcomics, and I've picked up several new favourites that way.

They seem to be fairly cheap (depending on the site), current offer a dollar or two per day for many of the sites I visit.
They work on a kind of running auction system - you name how much you're willing to pay per day for an advert on a certain site, and whenever your bid is the highest for that site, your advert is displayed and you're charged at that rate (per length of time, not per click); otherwise you pay nothing. (You can set a maximum length of time for it to run, so there'd be no danger of it draining the bank account if RL trouble happened and the Kois forgot it was still running).
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

What are the restrictions to get on steam in their free to play section? Whole lotta bored people on steam.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Noidea
Dreamer

Post by Noidea »

Good idea, but I've just been examining their website and it seems as if it's more difficult than you'd expect - there's an initial submission fee of $100, apparently even if it's a free game, and then the game's information is added to a Reviews section for Steam members to vote on, and the games that get added to the site are the ones that get most votes from members. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/abou ... developers

Question for Kois - one of the things MMORPG.com now wants for a new game submission is "A transparent .psd of the game's logo". Have we got such a thing? Can you point me to it? (Never heard of that file format before.)
Xan
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Xanthicus

Post by Xan »

Noidea wrote:- one of the things MMORPG.com now wants for a new game submission is "A transparent .psd of the game's logo". Have we got such a thing? Can you point me to it? (Never heard of that file format before.)
.psd is a Photoshop file format, It was proprietary for a long time. I think a few other image programs can generate it as well now, try Gimp, paint.net, there seems to also be a few online suites that can handle it.