Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

XP gains/orbit caps

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

XP gains/orbit caps

Post by Cherokee »

I'm suggesting two things involving XP gains that we had in SoT.

1. When someone was close to getting an orbit and gained over the amount of XP needed, they would get the orbit and the remaining XP went towards their next orbit. Currently it cuts it off with an orbit cap. So if you only need 5k more to orbit and earn 10k, you're losing half of that because of the cut off.

2. XP gets split up between party members, even if some of them are maxed. That means a percent of earned XP is wasted. In SoT, -for example- if two players were partied and only one of them was maxed, ALL of the XP gain would go to the non-maxed player...even if the maxed person snatched the collapse.

I think it would be nice to have it this way again, because we're only losing out on XP we earn.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Kaihan
Dreamer

Re: XP gains/orbit caps

Post by Kaihan »

1. When someone was close to getting an orbit and gained over the amount of XP needed, they would get the orbit and the remaining XP went towards their next orbit. Currently it cuts it off with an orbit cap. So if you only need 5k more to orbit and earn 10k, you're losing half of that because of the cut off.
Disagree.

The orbits caps are small accomplishments versus a Sphere. I like them in this version because it can drives the character and friends to protect the new Orbit (and the +1 DreamSoul). If there are no cutoffs, then the value and feeling proposition of losing/gaining Orbits diminishes.
2. XP gets split up between party members, even if some of them are maxed. That means a percent of earned XP is wasted. In SoT, -for example- if two players were partied and only one of them was maxed, ALL of the XP gain would go to the non-maxed player...even if the maxed person snatched the collapse.
Agree.

This is speculative, but I would not be surprised if some players only play at a max when they can RP to help earn their next Sphere or complete Art quests. They can offer little to themselves (our characters, like us, are often self-serving), or others until the next Sphere has been obtained. There is a lot to be said for being able to DO something else, especially involving others, in the environment.

From my time back, I have noticed that players who are maxed tend to step away from hunting or fighting player- and dark- mares in party. They usually go to gen or stand out from the fight so others can split the max. This would provide more opportunities for camaraderie and as maxed-players use up supplies, leading to genning as well.