Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

What the City Needs

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Koi-Wish
Founder

What the City Needs

Post by Koi-Wish »

Folks,

I know its the holidays and things are generally slower during this period but we'd like to increase our population a bit.

GM-driven RPs are needed as always, but we love player-driven ones better.

That being said, the current RPs driven by the GM team will likely start drawing to a close but what would you like to see next?

A new villain like Agonarius?

Darkmares to come back in force?

DreamStrike?

Toss some ideas here, and maybe we might run with one (or encourage you to!)
Princess
Dreamer
Character Name(s): ZsaZsa~ tiny princess

Re: What the City Needs

Post by Princess »

Tie Wishbringer to the throne and let all the females torture him with feathers :mrgreen:
You see a pressed seal of wax is etched displaying in the center an empty Sigil. The etching is shaped in the manner of a coat of arms. The top right sector, a teacup, the top left, a dolly.
Zsa Zsa,tiny princess of the City of Dreams
Koi-Wish
Founder

Post by Koi-Wish »

50 Shades of Wish?
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Something fun and non-villianous! ;) Figments character was great when he first showed up with his fractals! Even though each time was just for a few minutes, I personally found that very fun and wonderfully imaginative. Also kudos to "the Marshal" and "Grok", you all are great actors and actresses!
Though I have always loved the villians, Asmodan - esque type guys & girls, but when a character can make you laugh, that's the best for me :)

I'll be very interested to see how the Consortium rp wraps up! Exciting!

~C
Last edited by Cianne on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Princess
Dreamer

Post by Princess »

Koi-Wish wrote:50 Shades of Wish?

Why not!
You see a pressed seal of wax is etched displaying in the center an empty Sigil. The etching is shaped in the manner of a coat of arms. The top right sector, a teacup, the top left, a dolly.
Tember
Dreamer

Post by Tember »

I personally would love to see the darkmares around more. It was pretty awesome when all through the week we would gen/hunt to prepare for darkmare nights, because we knew that the darkmares would be around on Sunday's. Doesn't have to be a planned time, just random times on a certain night of the week to give folks something to look forward to.

Maybe even a new invisible villian, say that he cannot be seen but you can hear him randomly throughout the game, or whispering in your ear, something creepy. But he may eventually show its face.

Also liked that one character that was around for a short while, that sent us on treasure hunts. Getting all kinds of goodies, would be nice to see her back.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I agree with Tember! Goodies are nice to get and it's the Holidays! 25 days of teasure hunts or just certain days. How about the raids? I loved going in KOES with house members and hunt darks for goodies. All houses have the chance. Maybe allow only one a week or 2 weeks? Or have the houses battle it out to get the chance for that week. Oh wait, nooo Dina is poofy still.

Have treasure hunts for non fighters and have raids for the fighters! Sounds like fun and bring back Bamra! She is missed!

There are many ideas out there. Gotta keep two types of players interested. Fighters and non.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

More interactions from the GMs for no apparent reason, and definitely going to be needing people to do some more player driven RPs. As for Lu Chaos i'll be doing daily training sessions in the Threshold Arena just for some added fun for everyone, vent off some frustrations different things. If we all work together things will get alot more fun!

Thanks for the thread Wish.

As far as enemies go... Darkmares. Definitely darkmares. Would be cool to even bring the datokens back in full force too, that would be fun. Also..

As players we should do more activities, like Cianne's bardic circle or different things that we can all do daily.
Shae
Dreamer

Post by Shae »

I miss the little emotes that the GMs would do that made you think the game was alive, like breezes that blew through the Valley, or maybe thunder in the distance.. something like that. It sounds like the team wants to move away from that, though. In SoT we would sometimes get random rewards- a plat of an art, or random XP for just participating, to show us that we were doing a great job, and that encouraged us to try things more often.
Where are all the GateKeepers?!
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Shae wrote:I miss the little emotes that the GMs would do that made you think the game was alive, like breezes that blew through the Valley, or maybe thunder in the distance.. something like that. It sounds like the team wants to move away from that, though. In SoT we would sometimes get random rewards- a plat of an art, or random XP for just participating, to show us that we were doing a great job, and that encouraged us to try things more often.
Even without rewards, that would be great. Like you said, bring the city to life :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Princess
Dreamer

Post by Princess »

Shae wrote:I miss the little emotes that the GMs would do that made you think the game was alive, like breezes that blew through the Valley, or maybe thunder in the distance.. something like that. It sounds like the team wants to move away from that, though. In SoT we would sometimes get random rewards- a plat of an art, or random XP for just participating, to show us that we were doing a great job, and that encouraged us to try things more often.
Yes I agree Shae, it did make the game more interesting. The Macaws were awesome too.. or the occasional wild life. The Baby skunks were the best
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

As much as I love having GM bad guys to fight and plot against, I also enjoy the silly interactions with goofy GM characters. In SoT we had these Gremlin "diggers" that would tunnel through the walls and floors looking for shinies. They'd occasionally make a mess of house vaults, trade items for something of some value, or trick people. I think it was Gremlin Sawbones that "accidentally" dropped a mysterious item. My character thought it was something precious and made the mistake of using it, and was scared for like 8 hours haha. And if you happened to catch and collapse them, they'd explode like a piñata with all their treasure.

Another thing we had near the end of SoT was a less drastic and exciting method for DreamStrike. Prime Sigils were hidden throughout the city. You had to have all three in your possession and preform some little ritual of combining them, while naming your target. Once the person was named, they had 42 hours to make a guess at who named them. If they guessed right, they got to live. If not, they were "Struck"...but not completely. There was also a way to bring these dreamers back, with sacrifice. A certain amount of spheres had to be given from their friends, depending on what sphere the dreamer was. I'd like to have this return, but slightly less harsh. Maybe a certain amount of orbits could be sacrificed and split between several people, idk.

I like the other suggestions too, like the DM raids and scavenger hunts. I also really miss Grok's gambling and his Undergames!
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Funny how Bardic is brought up.

It was brought back and Tember worked hard on it. She finally gave up when hardly anyone showed up because of who she was. A house at war with others. People get all "I don't want to go because it is HER holding it". It ruined Bardic. Shouldn't let wars keep you from roleplaying with others!

But hopefully they bring it back like they had planned a while back before Cianne put it on the IC forums.

In SoT yes they had the DreamStrike game. IMO it was dumb as hell.
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

I think Cianne might not have been around when Tember and Jade reopened the Lyceum and held those weekly Bardic events. It did end up being discouraging when no one would participate because we were in DoL, but I'm hoping it won't be like that anymore. Arnaya and Jade are the only WordSmiths currently and have been working on improving it. As soon as we can get ahold of Marshal, we'll be posting about it on the Archive and start holding monthly events.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Cherokee wrote:I think Cianne might not have been around when Tember and Jade reopened the Lyceum and held those weekly Bardic events. It did end up being discouraging when no one would participate because we were in DoL, but I'm hoping it won't be like that anymore. Arnaya and Jade are the only WordSmiths currently and have been working on improving it. As soon as we can get ahold of Marshal, we'll be posting about it on the Archive and start holding monthly events.
You're right, I wasn't back yet. I definitely would have attended. Wasn't around for any of the Lyceum stuff.

The gremlin thing sounds like it was a blast :)
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Princess
Dreamer

Post by Princess »

Cookpot, Sawbone and the other one was a hoot. They definitely mad things interesting. Miss Toby,,, the child GM. Loved the whole fortress RP
Riggs
Dreamer

Post by Riggs »

I can't believe I'm not seeing any love for Gremlin Peaweed!! :lol:

I do like Cherokee's replies. My GM characters tried to sort of taking folks under their wing, as well, and hold workshops and train them in culture/areas of the City. So, that would be fun.

Darkmares are always fantastic. I remember when I GM'd, it was rare to get much help on that front, than from Powerlines - we brought in Hotax and Hotaiii together quite often.

I think another good idea would be to have 2 influential characters from SoT/Lyra (1 from each) - do something together. Be it constructive... or be it @ odds, so the players can jump in and support (although the Lyra characters get played more, so I'd imagine that historic figure would garner more support).

If it were easier to create rooms and the like, I know I could get Vampyro to try to build some more things.... I certainly miss the Cycloynx Windmill/Forge Apparatus in Gloom, but am still grateful for the Tavern :)

The 'Strike' game was great actually, since it wasn't permanent demise. IMO
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

I think that a player driven RP needs to emerge. There has not been a playerbbase willing to drive conflict outside of the houses. While the consortium bring conflict, I think GM driven RPs are not always as flexible due to demands that the RP team has to respond to. Dreamer based RP may be a little more exciting. The only catch being nis outside of houses it might be difficult to protect these characters as they would have less infrastructure to help them out, which is another strength and weakness of the consortium.

Back in the Lyra days there were even "evil" GM's who would support those who were willing to go outside normal teaching circles. Someone like an Asmodan or an Agonarius, but actively teaching and stirring the pot. The best part is, they can not need a rationale, they can just want to see people suffer.

The Penumbra was another group that had some resources and a good following. They even had new rooms and caches simply to keep up the intrigue.

I am sure there are many who would love to mess with the houses, why not enable that?

also: moar lewt.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

I have to agree with Offy. Depending on the GMs to make the game fun is unfair to them.
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I agree that GM driven storylines alone arn't enough. I would like to see a bit more of the overall storyline developing though (I don't mean a game "end", but a plotline of events happening outside of the city that spill into it periodically would be really cool.

I'm thinking things like one of the Realms Watch coming to get the cities help with creating something that they need to defend their front lines, or the dreamers of the city being called on to help hold a front line for an anticipated attack coming up. Maybe one of the Arretians or Illuminate guys shows up with a small force to launch a serious attack, trying to distract Realms Watch or Free Soul forces from Furyan.... making them split their resources to help defend Underlight. Or maybe they are in the city to recover an item that one of the Arretians hid in the city during the old Lyran city. Perhaps one of the Yaza wants the city to help them recover control of the Hota that were broken away from them by the Consortium.

Just some thoughts for a few GM things that wouldn't need a huge amount of GM presence for any prolonged period, but could help drive player RP's for a month or so :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Shae
Dreamer

Post by Shae »

We used to have these types of pinata beasts that were special Hotai. You would collapse them, and then they would sorta hover close to the ground, as if they were heavy... and this is where the fun began. Dreamers could stick their hands into the fuzzy sphere of the 'atan' beasts (some were actually just pinata spelled backwards), and the beasts would either zap you silly, or give you a special gift just for your level and focus. It made dreamers leave thresh AND get fun rewards if they were able to bring the beasts down, that is. Even non-violent dreamers like Shae would get in on the action.

More vaults are also needed, in my opinion. Of course, all dreamers from the most recent city loved the personal stores, but even before those, we were able to create many stores throughout the city that held items of worth- educational, or simply stores for those without homes. I miss many of the areas we once had- the lab that was through the Lost Caves, the WorkShop- which was in the Valley, the large sanc off of Albino, all the special genning spots that were either there to start with, or that we created on the facades or other various areas, The Tower on the Basin and the Windmill (oh Vampyro knows exactly where this was- I've forgotten the name), etc etc. Anywho.. I guess what I'm saying is that I think dreamers from my time miss the planesmithing we could do- that kept us busy for weeks on end. This is a sure way to get dreamers to do large RPs, even if it doesn't work in the end, if we were able to every once in a while get a visual reward that changes the look of the game, that would be amazing.

We need accomplishments of some sort- something that says, 'We saw what you did, and we liked the work that went into it.. keep it up!"
Where are all the GateKeepers?!
Dina

Post by Dina »

LOL I remember that RP with the mares that you could stick your hand through and get a goodie! It was fun!

I cry a little each day because I miss my personal vault. I've talked about how I hated SoT, but there were some good things about it such as:

1. The ability to have the personal vaults

2. The teacher rewards which you could turn in 5 completed tasks (you had to copy them onto a inscribe codex) for a minor plat of your choice and 10 completed tasks for a major learn or plat. Which was helpful when we had personal vaults, but teachers could use the teaching halls too to hold codi. It was a nice incentive for the teachers.

3. DB changes, we were able to do more changes such as Dina created a memorial on EP, she also planted roses and other flowers which stayed in the room at all times, put a Dreamsoul pad in the UoC Sanctuary. We had a huge lab in LC, where the cache was. We had some really neat sphere task abilities this way. Not just "try this so many times, fail this many times and you get a sphere". It actually happened and was so much fun, which I know that means that someone would be busy creating these things for the database and we may not have that, BUT it was a lot of fun.

4. The mare RP was fun because it gave everyone a chance to get something nice. When stuff is thrown on the ground, you have people grabbing like mad men and don't share. If they helped take down the mare, they had a chance to get something and not hope that someone is nice enough to give them something, which 9 out of 10, people wont.

I agree with Shae 100%, we loved the accomplishments where someone can say "Hey, with all the effort from myself and others, we created this!"

One more thing, I think everyone should get their guild art when they hit 5th. Times are not like the old. Hitting 5th should be HUGE except for getting Forge. Kailee wants hers back! She had it before...
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I think UL could use a more subtle force behind the scenes. Kind of like a combination of Raena Demora and Lothrick without any real physical intents. The character should be a teacher and push the darker side of UL without physically involves him/herself.

Also, more Under Games. Both fighting and non-fighting oriented.
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

I agree with the dark/evil type teacher. When Herbert revealed he was in the Comsortium, I thought that's how they were going to roll with it, but instead wasted the opportunity when he had his halos removed.

We even had a talking DarkMare teacher in SoT, that not many knew about for awhile. When a player lost his halo and decided he didn't want to conform to the teaching council's standards, he apprenticed under him.

I think it would be great to have a GMMT for the villain player characters.

Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Even the "good guys" have occasional use for an MT like that :)