Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

House doorbell

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Shoury
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Shoury

Re: House doorbell

Post by Shoury »

Art: Sense Visitors
Focus/Element: Dreamsoul
Cost: 1
How obtained: Upon initiation into a House.

Impromptu Scenario (On House Plane):

* You are currently located in Keepers of Eternal Shadow, Threshold to the City of Dreams.
* You have entered Keepers of Eternal Shadow.
* You begin evoking Sense Visitors
* The following dreamers have checked into your facade: Folko, Purple Lace, Kaer GeRRoZ, Intrigue, tux, Ghazgkull, CreepingShadow, Elspet, dollydaydream.

Impromptu Scenario (On None-House Plane):

* You are currently located in Keepers of Eternal Shadow, Threshold to the City of Dreams.
* -- TIME LAPSE--
* You have entered Union of the Covenant.
* You begin evoking Sense Visitors
* You are unable to sense visitors localized to your house plane. Enter the HOUSE_NAME_GOES_HERE plane and try again.

Doable by LoadDreamerList.CurrentPlane() and removing those found in HouseMembers()

Great idea, Blade, due to the limitation of Locate List size.

Not sure how it would work for MB'd dreamers though. Maybe a separate section of the list, so lets say in the prior example..

** The following dreamers have checked into your facade: Folko, Purple Lace, Kaer GeRRoZ, Intrigue, tux, Ghazgkull, CreepingShadow, Elspet, dollydaydream.

If Kaer GeRRoZ and Creeping Shadow were MB'd, this would be returned...

** The following dreamers have checked into your facade: Folko, Purple Lace, Intrigue, tux, Ghazgkull, Elspet, dollydaydream, and 2 Mind Blank'd dreamers.

Just throwing thoughts out.
Last edited by Shoury on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

This is definitely needed. I think it would be better if new arrivals on the house plane could be sensed like newlies and non-crested dreamers can.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Cuero
Dreamer

Post by Cuero »

I think the application is more...

BladeSlayer is located in Guardian's Missions, Dreamers of Light
[on BladeSlayer's screen]
Cuero has entered Facade, Dreamers of Light
Dina has entered Facade, Dreamers of Light

Restricted to like 1 broadcast per dreamer every 5 minutes so they can't spam the hell out of people.

You wouldn't need another art for the completionists to plateau to 90. Just a simple one-liner.
~Cuero/Sevlen
Shoury
Dreamer

Post by Shoury »

Hrm, so auto-approach on a timer (5 minutes) vs impromptu art form for more control. Either way, both approaches will work. Your approach should be tweaked for MB'd dreamers though, Cuero.

EDIT: This is good, very good. We should constructively challenge and propose changes/enhancements to see what makes sense and works best from a RP and team resource standpoint. And for that, I give you kudos, Cuero. Keep them coming, folks!
Last edited by Shoury on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucille
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lucille

Post by Lucille »

What cuero said. I'm a bit of a completionist so another art would make my life harder.
Shoury
Dreamer

Post by Shoury »

Lucille wrote:What cuero said. I'm a bit of a completionist so another art would make my life harder.
Fair enough. Auto on a 5 minute interval, broadcasted to the members of the house. IF this will be the current implementation.. it should be a toggle? As not everyone may want to be bothered with this information.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I think Mind Blank should also block someone from being broadcasted.
Shoury
Dreamer

Post by Shoury »

Sidas wrote:I think Mind Blank should also block someone from being broadcasted.
Agreed.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

An idea that has been long in coming! I like it!
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Shoury
Dreamer

Post by Shoury »

Consensus so far...

* Auto-learned on Initiation
* Toggleable
* Message given every 5 or 10 minutes only on your own facade
* Mind Blanked individuals are NOT reported.

Anything else?
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Seems most people would be more in favor of another "Uninitiated dreamer [X] has entered the plane" type of thing than an art. Unless the art was only a toggle. Otherwise, from what I've seen in game... despite it being available, it would seldom be used and we're back to the same problem we have now. Even with the sense that Guardians/Rulers/Teachers have about initiated and/or newlies, people will still often not come out of a house when someone enters the house plane.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Dina

Post by Dina »

How would you stop the 5 minute notification? If Dina goes out because Tember shows up on the facade, would Dina keep getting notified? That would be annoying lol. I love the idea about getting one notification! Also I don't think it should only be for Rulers and Guardians. Initiates are teachers and could benefit from it too!
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

I know this was suggested at least once to Lyra years ago. At one point, I think I may have even been the one to suggest it, so I do like the idea. I've also been discussing it with the team and here's what we have so far, so let me know if this fits what you'd like to see.

Essentially it would be a modification of the newly/uninitiated/DCA entry messages we already have. It would not be a new art.

When any non-member (Free Spirit, other house, pmare, dark mare) enters the house plane (usually on the main entrance), all house members in the plane get a notification. Whether that be "Someone has entered this plane in [entrance room name]" or a specific name, that's still up for debate.

If there is a house member already in the room when the visitor arrives, no message is broadcast.

If the visitor has Mind Blank on, no message is broadcast (alternatively, the message could include the dreamer's name unless they are mind blanked, in which case "Someone" could be used for a little mystery - the higher your skill in MB, the less chance you have of being detected entering the plane).

The message is only broadcast upon arrival, but leaving and re-entering would not send the message to anyone who already received it.

Just like the newly/uninitiated/DCA entry messages, there wouldn't be a way to toggle on the receiving end - unless evoking Mind Blank on yourself also blocked the messages from getting to you, perhaps?

Let us know any other suggestions/tweaks you have on this. With any luck, it shouldn't be too hard to code in for the next patch.

Thanks,
Spark
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

Sounds perfect to me Spark, I think you guys should run with this idea right here and bring to light mate!
Starfall
Dreamer

Post by Starfall »

I like the idea of their name unless mindblanked, then just "someone".
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Going back through old suggestions and came across this. Somehow it got overlooked on previous patches, but I'd like to remedy that.
Anyone want to provide any additional tweaks/suggestions on this before we try to tackle it for upcoming patch?
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Ok, after doing some work on this, it looks like determining whether to send "Someone" or no message at all based on Mind Blank skill would require a bit of extra intra-server lookups.
Rather than the client sending these messages to the server, they actually originate on the server when a player logs into that level. The only information shared with the level server at login time is basically your avatar appearance and if you have Mind Blank active or not (among a few other minor details). To get the skill level of Mind Blank would require a different thread to query the database and that's just a lot of extra process and messaging that doesn't really add much to the function. And if SOT taught everyone anything, it's that the Lyra server code is a monster of tangled messages and threads already.

So here's what we've got working:
If you're wearing the house crest of the plane you're in (let's say AoE), you'll receive a message that someone has entered the plane and the room they entered (99% of the time it will be the main entrance).
If you're not a member of that house, you won't get a message except for the normal "newly awakened has entered the plane" messages. The same is true if you're a member of the house, but you have your house crests hidden.
If you are a member of the house but have your house crests hidden, house members will get the announcement when you enter the plane.
If you are Mind Blanked, nobody will get the message that you entered the plane.
If a house member (with crests showing) is in the room where the entering player arrives, no message will be sent to anyone.

Still working out the best way to set the time limit for message spam. There isn't an existing block for newly awakened messages and people haven't complained about getting spammed from those, so hopefully it would be a non-issue, but I'd like to prevent it from ever being an issue if I can help it.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

I'd imagine a ten second timer between messages sufficient. If someone decides to spam the message they'll fail and the house members will know they're there. If you add a message for the player entering that lets them know whether or not they've been detected in some form it should serve as a deterrent to spam since they'd at that point be spamming themselves more than the server/players.