Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Aura Arts

This is a game for roleplayers. We want your ideas how how to build the better game. Post your suggestions here.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Aura Arts

Post by Arnaya »

These have been suggested a time or two now, and I really like the idea. I'm curious how hard it would to implement coding wise? From what little I know about coding, we might be able to use some of the coding from the Horron's aura?

Art #1: Soulmaster Major
- Poison Aura: Basic poison effect to anyone approaching the evoker very closely (Probably about blade range, maybe a little further but not much). Duration, short. Repeat application delay and aura duration improve with plateau.
- Resilient Aura: Same idea as Poison Aura, but with a regeneration effect for dreamsoul to anyone standing in range.

Art #2: Dreamseer Major
- Blasting Aura: Same idea as Poison Aura, but blast level effect (probably a direct replication of the Horron aura). Aura duration and repeat application delay improve with plateau.

Art #3: Gatekeeper Major:
- Force of Will: Same idea as Poison Aura, but with a push effect. Aura duration and repeat application delay improve with plateau.

Art #4: Fatesender Major:
- Frozen Blood: Same idea as Poison Aura, but with a Paralyse effect. Effect Duration probably 5 to 10 seconds? Aura duration and repeat application delay improve with plateau.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Dina

Re: Aura Arts

Post by Dina »

These ideas are not bad, but I don't think it would really work. Since i play an SM, I really don't want to regen those that I am fighting or poison those that are on my side. You are not able to have everyone on your side in your party either, so that wouldn't work well. The concept is neat though!
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

They're definitely double edged swords. I'm a bit odd that way though, I kinda like the idea of challenges in using things. Having to come up with tactics and figure ways to make a characters abilities fit with a situation :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Dakkoth
Dreamer

Post by Dakkoth »

I think for the radius being suggested, both auras for a SM would be near useless especially since Poison is so ineffective.

Fate senders too is ultimately useless due to FA being so accessible and so used commonly. It would only be viable in that a FS would be in close range of a foe that is being abjured.

Dream seers and Gatekeepers ultimately have great auras in this regard. Unlike the FS and SM, the DS and GK auras would be highly useful and effective since close quarter combat is all about stopping casters (GK knock back) and dealing damage (DS aoe Blast).

The SM and FS would simply not be effective in my opinion

Great concept though.

~Mike
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Actually, it's not half bad, if instead applied to house arts, rather then the focii.

What I mean is, the reason Calenture has Poison Cloud is that the word Calenture is a type of illness or Fever. So a poison aura would make more sense then an .. well I guess it's not AoE, more like RW(Roomwide) effect. To negate some of the double edge sword effect, it would only effect non-house members, and in OSM's case, Sable Shield already negates poison. So, AKA, a Calenture member would basically be surrounding themselves in a Cloud of Poison, rather then creating a roomwide poison cloud.

As with the case with other house arts that are RW, an aura that does similarly - Blind or Paralyze (I always mix up Radiant Blaze and Dazzle) could be just as useful.

And as a reverse, AoE's Peace Aura could be changed to ONLY effect house members, and be a strong heal over time Aura. And by strong, I mean that the SM art Healing Aura still needs to be adjusted so It's not shit till 80th plateau ;p

Mind, with the strength of protection arts, a lot of these things would be worthless with out an abjurer to make them useful, but, hey welcome to the life of a Fatesender!

PS: Anyone remember what GoE's house art does? or KoES? I forget -_-
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-
Shoury
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Shoury

Post by Shoury »

IIRC, GoE's House Art was like Meditation on steroids. KoES had Shadow Step (like Invis, targeted I believe)
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Regarding Aura arts, the reason why they've never really been seen in the past (outside of Dark Mares) is because of their difficulty to implement efficiently. Let me explain.

With Dark Mare aura effects, the mare isn't actually evoking anything on you, nor does it have an active effect that causes the scare/para/pain. It's all on your client side - when you get close to a mare (or face it head-on), your client says "oh, there's a mare, I should be scared now." There is no added network traffic.

For the auras you describe, it would mean having an active effect on an avatar and, if within a certain distance of another avatar, send a network message "Hey, you should be scared now." If multiple players are in range, that means you're now sending multiple network messages per second. If you have more than one aura effect active, then multiply that. Depending on the frequency, other players will get spammed with "You are scared" or, if Resist Fear is active, "She tried to scare you, but you laugh off the fear." This is why most "aura" type effects are one-time room-wide effects.

Is it impossible? No, it's completely possible and really not even all that difficult. However, regardless of the faster internet speeds, and more powerful computers everyone uses (including the server), these kinds of effects would likely put a lot of strain on the server and cause a bit of lag, especially in heavy fights.

In the future, some of these ideas may be tested to evaluate the feasibility and the effect on the network/server, but it's certainly not going to be a change we implement this year.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

No problem, it was just something that came up at one of the SM meetings and I liked the idea.... so I put a few others together as well. Food for thought and ideas for the future, not "GIVE US THIS NOW YOU BIG MEANIES!!!" :P