Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

The First Spark

CommanderJazTez
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cleo, Zémer Mazz

The First Spark

Post by CommanderJazTez »

Zemer was born with loving, doting parents and was well taken care of. Born with a silver spoon in her mouth, Zemer wanted for nothing and had enough free time to help feed her ever hungering brain. This allowed her the ability to expand upon her amazing gift of knowledge. It was as if her brain was a sponge and everything it came into contact with was instantly stored away for later use. While this would normally damn others to a life of pure pain and misunderstanding, Zemer was lucky in the fact that she had a friend.

A friend who, at first, wanted nothing to do with her. His cocky nature and sharp tongue cut, but her curiosity only grew. When she finally reached his soft center she found a scared and sad boy who had been chased his entire life leading him to keep running. Try as she might she could never keep up with him, but try she would continue to do if it killed her.

She excelled in everything she ever tried and found herself graduating college at a very young age, becoming a physicist and enjoying every aspect of her life. After a particularly painful fight with her friend that left her absolutely breathless and in pain, Zemer threw herself into a new project. Even with all of her know-how and training she ignored the many problems in her work and pushed past them in desperation to find a way to finally keep up.

A machine was imbued with powerful and conductive crystals that held a special kind of magic that promised everlasting life with terrifying and unspeakable drawbacks that made any who used it wish for death. Despite the warnings of those around her, Zemer spent three years working on this machine deep in the pits of her work and pushed it faster than it was supposed to go. Eventually the promise showed through enough that there was excited talk around the world about this amazing machine.

However, when it was finally time to turn on the machine a terrible tragedy struck. On a particularly cold winter morning Zemer turned on the machine without checking to make sure that the lines supplying the air into the machine were clear. After all, the machine had turned on a hundred times before without a problem. She had grown too desperate and unthinking. Turning out to ruin her project before it began. The ice inside of the lines caused pressure to back up until it couldn’t take it anymore. The explosion that happened was absolutely earth shattering. Buildings crumpled and many lives were lost. Zemer had closed her eyes with a loud shriek never expecting to awaken again. The crystals erupted and pierced into her skin and eyes, dipping so deeply as to tear into her organs, and one piece as large as a marble embedding itself in her heart. Right as the largest made its home in the center of her chest, Zemer crumpled to the ground lifeless. Her blood raced out of it’s previous home quickly. A single bolt of electric power raced from the machine and did as it was meant to, striking the crystal in Zemer’s chest causing her to take in a deep breath right as the ground and building above it collapsed over her.

Weeks had turned to months when her eyes finally opened for the first time after. Her body taking that time to adjust to its new form. However, something was wrong. She was unable to see like she had in the past. Colors were gone and only replaced with a mixture of black, white, and flashes of blue electric streaks that took on the shape of whatever it lived in. She quickly noticed the difference in items, but shook all the same. Her hands reached to her face only to touch the gauze that sat over her eyes making her realize that she was not seeing with her eyes at all.

Panic seized in her body making her cry out desperately for help, ripping at the different things on and in her body. A rapid beeping made her mind absolutely explode in pain as the waves in electricity from the machine tore into her brain over and over. The foreign feeling absolutely overstimulating and exhausting her all at once. Her hands were ice cold as they raced over her face, another loud cry escaped her throat right as a soft whistle came from the opening door of her hospital room.

Zemer saw him before she felt him. The waves of electricity that raced through his body took on the color and feel of pure power. The sharp points that came with electric pulses gave way to a softer, more malleable form that looked almost like fire. Long before she could pick his spicy scent his warm arms encompassed her and she knew of him. Closing her useless eyes behind their gause, Zemer laid her forehead on his shoulder and took comfort in him. For a single moment everything felt right until she tried to speak.

“My eyes are dead.” Her words didn’t come out correctly when she spoke. She had meant to tell him that she could see without her eyes in a surprising way, but her words refused to come out how she wanted them.

“The doctors said you would be blind, your eyes took terrible damage but they tried everything they could. I am so sorry, Zazz.” His words felt like a stab in her chest. Zemer pushed him away from her and slowly reached to trace his face with her fingers.

“No, I see the lightning in the walls. In my prison, in yours. It dances and lives and loves and fucks.” Her words failed her again even though she tried to speak every word slowly and purposely.

“The lightning in the-”

“I see. I see. I see….” Zemer broke into mad ramblings as she tried to fix the broken connection between her mind and her mouth.

“You see, I know.” He was solemn as he cradled her to his chest once again. As long as he had known her, she had never lied to him. If she was telling him that she saw then he believed her. It would be another few days until he realized just how much of the truth she had been telling him, and just how much their entire world would shift.