Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Points To Ponder

Elmer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Elmer

Points To Ponder

Post by Elmer »

This is not a story, this is- and will be a series of things to just, well ponder!

I recently tasked someone and asked them to recall some memories throughout their dreams that followed a particular theme.
In hearing the report the dreamer recalled a memory that was really very painful and difficult to talk about. while I was listening, I was pondering..

I thought, we usually only always want to remember fun times, great times, but sometimes it is good to dredge up difficult memories, things we don't want to think about or we try to repress, in doing so we can (hopefully) feel blessed for how things turned out and thankful for what we have learned. When we start to get too cocky or full of ourselves and our own importance, as all folks tend to do, myself included, we need to dig deep into things we've been through and be humbled by the memory of them, and remember that we all fall down sometimes, we all screw up, we all sometimes make an ass of ourselves, but those are the kind of things that help us to grow, learn and mature.

Just something to ponder.

Whisperer>>elms<<Naturalist
-Greed breeds destruction-
-You'll only ever see what I choose to show you-
-Manners are free-
-The Music of Nature fills the cracks in the mind that words will never reach-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Points To Ponder

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

Last point, I talked about dredging up yucky memories form time to time, now I am going to flip the coin. Do we ever sit and think just how much we think about ourselves, what's wrong with us, what we don't like about ourselves, what we feel like we have to change? I was doing that, and the more I thought about myself, the more faults I was finding and the more depressed I got.
Then I started thinking about other people. The more I thought about other people, what I like about them, why they make me smile and laugh and what I might be able to do for them to show my gratitude, the better I started to feel. If you are sad, it's usually because of something that happened to you. Try to turn it around, think of the good things that happened to you, and most likely there was other people involved. Even a simple smile or a hello can change somebody's day and make it better.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering about memory and listening..
Over the last little while I find myself having trouble remembering things in the short term. This has led to some awkward moments when being asked to recall something.So I pondered, why am I having trouble remembering? Maybe I am not really listening. Though we try to give everyone our full attention all of the time, we are sometimes distracted easily by our surroundings or our own thoughts.
Of course there is a big difference between hearing and listening. When folks are talking to you about little things, try to really listen, because if you aren't able to listen, process or seem uninterested in the little things, how will they ever trust you to tell you the big things?

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

About spontaneity.
As I began my dreams tonight I walked into a group of dreamers, one of them had decided to create something on the spot and had many others helping.
It was fantastic.
Planned and scheduled events are fabulous, I love them, but there is alot to be said for the spur of the moment!
If you are in a group of dreamers and there is really not a lot happening, why not have a spontaneous event?
Creating something (as earlier tonight and it was so much fun) or go on an expedition, put on some music and have dancing,
storytelling, make people a new outfit, have a race, go swimming, or have a picnic, give an impromptu lesson about something you love, have some sort of silly contest.
The possibilities are as endless as your imagination.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..
Last night as I attended the "Tea and Tales" up at the Order, I wondered why there wasn't more folks there. Maybe folks didn't go because it wasn't their cup of tea, pun intended, I'm not a big fan of tea, but I happily accepted a cup, so what if I had to add a bit of libation to make it taste better to me!, it was still a lovely gesture and the cup itself was beautifully crafted. Maybe folks didn't go because there is someone there who isn't their favorite, maybe they don't like telling stories, maybe they didn't feel like making the long walk. Whether it is a tea party, a class, a tour, a meeting, a study hall, a ritual, whatever it is, we need to realize everything isn't always about us.
As a side note, I know there was an important House Meeting at the same time, I am not criticizing, I know that sometimes we simply cannot go to everything, due to a clash in scheduling.
I'm just simply suggesting, Our city could be a much more pleasant place if we tried to support our fellow dreamers and their events and projects a little more, even if we don't want to participate and are just there to show some respect, and a thank you to your hosts goes a long way, folks put their hearts into stuff for us. Our population is small, we are all connected in one way or another. Be nice.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

Think of life as a very tall, very long staircase, let's make this staircase outdoors for fun. You can't see what's at the top, so off you go. You climb the steps, really fast at first, hu-wa!! taking them a few at a time as you sprint up, but then you start getting tired, you slow down, you are exhausted, and you end up slowly plodding back to the bottom, disappointed that you couldn't get to the top.

Next day, you try again, not having learned from the day before you run up the steps!, being rested, you are sure you can get to the top, but again you get exhausted and sore, and back down you go, grumbling.

Next day, you start briskly up the steps then pause and think, maybe you should take it a little easier, so you walk up the steps, you make it a little farther, but you aren't even half way there before you are drained, you try to push yourself farther, your body hurts, your head hurts, you are angry at these stupid steps, and the world and yourself! You end up sliding back down on your ass.

So you give up, you don't even CARE what's at the top of the steps anymore so you forget about them.

A long time goes by without ever thinking about the steps, and you find yourself with nothing to look forward to, nothing to do, no goals, no hopes, no faith and you have a complete breakdown.

As more time passes you start to think about the steps again, and you think well so what if I can't get to the top right away, what if I am not even MEANT to get to the top, the trek up the steps is enjoyable regardless. I can see the sun and feel fresh air on my face, I'm exercising, I can sit and rest on any step for as long as I want and listen to the sounds around me and admire the view. It shouldn't be about getting to the top all the time, it should be about the trek.

sometimes you have to have a total breakdown in order to find a breakthrough.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

Why are folks afraid to say what they really think? Are they afraid of being laughed at, yelled at, dismissed, cast out, ignored?, maybe a bit of all of those, maybe one or two.

If there is something that is really pressing on your mind or heart, is it better to just pretend it isn't there and continue on?, or should you talk about it? We have to decide for ourselves which is better, depending on situations. There are times to keep your mouth shut and keep things to yourself, in order to save hurt feelings, that is called tact, though there are other times when a thing might gnaw away at the very depth of your soul and you have to let it out!
That is a bit dramatic, I'm being cheeky, but seriously, if something is troubling you, don't be afraid to be heard.
If folks don't want to hear, then maybe they aren't the folks for you.

Just something to ponder
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

I started to ponder about this, when talking to one of the nicest people I've ever known, who I have known for most of my adult life, mentioned that somebody hated him, and I wondered how that could even be possible. I may have flailed.

Do we ever just chill quietly and think about who we are. Maybe one person thinks of themself as a great person, maybe another person thinks of themself as a loser, maybe another person thinks of themself as caring, or another who thinks they are funny or someone who thinks they are a hard worker, and another who thinks they are intelligent.

Here's the weird, but interesting part though. Whoever YOU think you are, you are very likely a different person to everybody you know and meet.

You're going, eh?? Well you are a different person to a parent, than you are to a sister or brother. You are a different person to a teacher than you are to your boss. You are a different person to your spouse than you are to a store clerk. You might be in a house of a few folks and each one of those few might have a completely different perception of who you are. You might pass a dozen people on the street and each one forms a quick opinion of who you are just by looking at you, hearing your voice or watching how you behave, likely most of them very different than the other as well as a completely different version of who you think you are.

Who are you? Who is he? Who is she? who are they?
It all depends on who you ask.

Just something to ponder
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

I can't count how many times since returning after a long time away, I have heard or been told, "you can't live in the past", don't live in the past" We can't bring back the past", "you shouldn't live in the past" some of these times in an almost scolding tone. So I started to ponder.

What exactly is wrong with the past? Hopefully we learned things from events and folks from the past, folks from your past likely had a major part in helping to shape the dreamer you are today. Were mistakes made in the past?, of course, and they still are today. Though I have a great deal of reverence and respect for events and people of the past.
However, the people who repeat the phrase so adamantly, are partially correct. You can't live, re-live or re-vive the past, which I suppose is what I have been trying to do since returning, slip right back in as if everything was the same as it had been, though there are a few constants, some things are nothing like what they had been, and neither am I in many, many ways, and so I thank them for their admonitions, their advice, even some of their disdain of the past, as it has made me realize that a time comes to forge ahead to the future, new memories, new goals and new paths.

For my past and for the people who I so loved, revered and respected, who are no longer with us, I give thanks and praise, without them and my past, I am not sure where I'd have ended up.

Just something to ponder
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

Sometimes our dreams turn into nightmares. Someone may unexpectedly do something to another, causing physical harm. This harm may come as a collapse form another dreamer or a mare, but these injuries are temporary, as we quickly and easily restore ourselves in a Sanctuary or someone else restores us. But what about actual physical harm and pain and suffering. As we dream with our minds, and most of us, not being completely insane, are able to control our minds and thoughts, would we not be able to overcome physical injury almost just as quickly?
Once a long time ago Rubedo Morvant took control of my mind for a short time, I was not at first able to control that, at first apparently according to onlookers I was "not myself", but eventually with the help of some others, I was able to re-focus and come back to myself.
So, with some pointed focus and thought, could we not also heal our physical wounds, for that matter, do they actually even occur, or is it another form of mind control?

Just something to ponder
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

As I was cooking and creating foci specific dishes for the traveling cafe, I was thinking more about focus and why we put folks in stereotypical categories.
Just random thoughts about what they are supposed to be as compared to what they really are capable of doing.

Soulmasters I think being the most contradictory and varied and dangerous of the group. When people feel the calling to be a Soulmaster, I guess the majority is probably thinking healer, but oy! Soulmasters in my opinion are one the most dangerous focus of all. Why? well because, sure they can heal, but they can also withhold that healing, can poison you and they are the only ones with the antidote, so if they don't want to antidote you you aren't going to feel very well for awhile. Abjure! don't bother arting up because if you've made an enemy of a soulmaster it is all going bye bye, or if they CURSE you before you can even art up, yea you are in trouble. Then at higher levels there is Vampiric draw, which is very unusual to me, there are good ways this could be used, but ..

Fatesenders have a lot of powerful damaging arts, the overall sense of a Fatesender is that they are tricksy, but let's face it you know, most of their arts are just damn annoying, scare, deafen, paralyze, it's all about your movement, they will either keep you running or glue you to the spot, so you might as well have a bullseye on your forehead, not to mention making you blind. Hard to constantly counteract these things. Buggers. I can't think of when I've been in the middle of a battle and was paralized and blinded and went "hahahahaha you silly trickster, you!!" It was annoying and usually 100 percent of the time it is to my doom and collapse.

Gatekeepers, pretty straight forward, protectors and fighters, most who are drawn to this calling are indeed excellent on the battlefield, and I'd not mess with them if I didn't have to. Reflect is a nasty thing, and they can lock you in or out a room and you can't get out or in unless they give you a key, or unless you are a stealthy Seer, which brings me to Seers

Seers are often dubbed Scholars, the reason I don't like labels is, our City has SO many scholars of ALL foci, I would never put one specific focus at the top of that list, it is presumptuous and ridiculous.
I would say that Seers are more about stealth and support. They can disappear in more than one way, they can blend through wards, they can help you to see if they want to. Blast is the only offensive art Seers have, and I do not see that used much really except by extremely powerful Dark Mares. The support aspect is of course recharge and combine, a studious Dreamseer can keep your house stores in tip top shape and double up the charges on your items by combining. Which is handy on a battlefield.

Just some things to ponder
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I spent some quiet time up at the Institute last morning and I was pondering ..

About community.
When I have early morning dreams usually there is not another soul in the City. It is a time when my mind wanders all over the place. I thought about importance and what different folks deem as important. Now I know for a fact that some of the the things that are most important to me, are not even a little bit interesting to some other folks, just as some things that others feel are really important to me really do not matter one way or another.
However.. just because a thing is not important to me, does not mean that I would not show my support and respect , because that is the decent and community minded thing to do.
Which leads me to pondering number two, it is my opinion that we MUST be community minded, because our community is very very small. If our community had hundreds or thousands, we could probably let that slide, however we have no where near that amount of population.

Let me just add that just because you are showing support or respect, it does not mean that you must dream your dreams to solely please others, I'd not want anyone to "suck up" I despise that, but that's another topic entirely. you should not, we all should have our own goals and dreams and ambitions. Showing support can be as simple as showing up to an event to observe without causing trouble, wishing someone well in an endeavor or even if something is not important to you, you might speak to someone and say hey, I see what you're doing, but it's just not my thing, and that's cool, that's perfectly fine. Bottom line, be nice, try to participate, try not steal others thunder and try not to smash others hopes and dreams, because there might come a dream when you need their support in return.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering ..

I often hear our resident little one in the City say "sharing is caring". A true and thoughtful statement.

So what can we share? We can share places, items, a listening ear, knowledge, talents, times and spaces. We don't always have to be first.
Our shared dream is not a race or a contest, well, I retract that statement, our dream is not a race or a contest to me, personally.
I cannot speak for others.
To me it is a thing to be enjoyed and explored and shared at our leisure.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

Something occurred to me as I thought about how we change as the years go by. The way we look, the way we move, the way we speak. How different a person can become when they go from childhood, to adolescence, to adulthood and then enter their senior years.

I came to one singular conclusion.

As we age, we become caricatures of ourselves.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

Being a naturalist and observing behaviours in wildlife, I got to thinking about pack behaviour in some animals. Most often it is canines who are inclined and driven towards this behaviour and their placement among the hierarchy.

The motivation is status and exclusivity, they feed off of each others aggression, there is an instinctive need of status, survival, safety, social, esteem, and to be the top dog.

As humans, this happens all too often as well, but in most cases, happiness and fulfillment that is acquired by achieving status is short-lived.

Before I am tempted to judge, I look into a mirror and it takes less than a second to realize I have no right to do so, knowing things I have done and mistakes I have made. I think of a saying I recall in an ancient sacred Tome to the effect of "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log in your own?" I'd say my eyes are both jabbed with logs, and so are most folks.

It is easy to judge, it is much harder to understand. Understanding requires empathy, compassion, patience and kindness.

Judgement divides.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

I've been thinking lately about things folks have said to me over the years that made a huge impact.

If you knew that you wouldn't be criticized, mocked or judged, what might you do differently? Fear of what others think of us take up a way bigger part of our daily thoughts than they should, often to the point of obsession.
One of the most simple, profound and enlightening things anyone has ever said to me, was from my brother Tamarisk. It was early in my dreams and I was worried about doing or saying certain things, or trying to reach certain goals, because of what others would think, or the inevitable rumour mill it would get rolling. He said quite matter of factly,

"Don't worry about what others think or say about you, it's none of your business."

Bam. A very wise and profound sentiment in it's simplicity. I miss him dearly.

Don't let the fear of others opinions, judgement or vitriol stop you from what you want to do or say. Usually the reasons for their backlash are things like envy, jealousy, low self esteem or other things that have to do with themselves, not you.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

There is an old adage that has been passed down through the ages, it's author unknown.

"Some people will sink the whole ship because they can't be the Captain."

The Ship of course in this saying is not necessarily meant to be literal, though I suppose it could very well have been at some time in the past.
So for the sake of this pondering, let's just use the ship, and in writing the word "you" and "they" I use it in the collective general sense.

Why do some only want to be the Captain when there are so many other jobs and positions on a ship? Without the many workers and different levels of rank and file aboard a ship, who all do very important jobs on many different levels, the ship would surely not run nearly as efficiently, if at all. Do these workers need a Captain to tell them what to do, or would they go on about their jobs inherently?, it is hard to say.

So why the need to always be the Captain? Is it a superiority complex? Is it because they think others would not be able to do as well as they could? Is it the need for praise, stature and recognition? Would a person who sinks the ship because they can't be the Captain, make a good Captain at all?

I suppose it is a bit of all of these things and more, though in sinking the ship, eventually there would be no more ships to be a Captain *of*.

Be careful of the ships you sink, because when and if you ever make it to Captain and your ship is sunk, there may not be any others left who would toss you a lifeline.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

About leaving a legacy and what it might mean for different folks. A legacy is something left behind when you are gone, it can be "stuff" but usually when folks think of legacy, they think of the significance of the stories of their lives they left behind.

In our day to day do we ever stop to ponder about what our legacy might be?, likely not, especially in busy lives on busy shards when the norm is and I will quote a new friend here, "Take-Take". Unfortunately many societies focus on how much can be gotten for little or no effort or for free, and the majority mentality is "I own this, it's mine, mine is better or bigger than yours or I am better than you."

What sort of legacy might that leave behind? Would folks remember you by saying, "what a swell person, they worked so hard for what they had", or, "they always put others first" or, "that person always had a kind word and a smile". or might they say, "I remember that person, what a show-off, always bragging, greedy so and so, only ever thought about themselves and what they could get, or take." or "what a miserable person, constantly complaining about everyone and everything."

Some thoughts on legacy. Leave your legacy in hearts, not stuff. Your legacy isn't stuff you leave for people, it's things you leave *in* people. You evolve and "write" your legacy each day that you are alive and dreaming, and folks are listening and watching.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

I spend a lot of time pondering, I do not know if it is more than anyone else, or if it is obsessive, probably the latter. My mind races from one thing to the next to the next and it never stops until I sleep, actually, it does not even stop then, in sleep and dreams I truly do question my sanity. My mind is more tangled than one of Magnilia's webs, in fact, webs are not tangled at all, they are created in perfect precision and symmetry .. very unlike my increasingly maddening mind.

So how do we measure our lives. Do we measure them in how old we are, what we have done, what we haven't done, what we want to do? Maybe all of these, maybe none. Everything we do, has some sort of ripple effect, I guess the more people a person knows, the more ripples there are. So when we do something .. before we do it, do we take enough time to think about it before hand, consider the ripples it might cause?, how would we ever know if it was the right thing, or the wrong thing? What we assume is right for us, might cause ripples somewhere along the line that are wrong for others. As the ripples reach farther outward, turning into crashing waves, do we have regrets or guilt?, or do we not think beyond the initial decision. Therein lies the paradox of right and wrong and the subjective nature of it.
I continue to ponder.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I was pondering..

When folks refer to, or wish for, or compare something to "the good old days", it is my opinion that sometimes they tend to embellish, add colour and spice, and romanticize, leaving out the ugly and crappy bits. Often forgetting that a lot of the time, the good old days, were not really so great after all. I call this, selective memory.

Still pondering..
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

I've often pondered..

Is it better to go with the flow in order to fit in, when you don't agree with an idea or a person or a group, or is it better to make a stand and set yourself apart?
Both of these decisions have pretty substantial consequences, some positive, but realistically, mostly negative.

-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

The last time I pondered here, it was nearly a year ago..and I answer the question I rhetorically asked in that last pondering with, for me..it is not better to "go with the flow".
Should we not all create our own identity and have our own thoughts and ideas, should we not decide what is best for us, ourselves?

There is no shame in being different, in going at your own pace, in making choices that others may not agree with. A wise and wonderful dreamer once told me and I have likely quoted him before..
"What other people think of you, is none of your business". I personally, learned a lot from that statement (and that person) and the more I thought about it, the more I felt ashamed for how I have judged in the past for choices others made that really were none of my business and had little or nothing to do with me...and I knew I had many mistakes to correct and apologies to make.

We learn, we grow, we learn some more.

Just something to ponder...
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »