Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Nature Boy

Elmer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Elmer

Nature Boy

Post by Elmer »

[The young lad was shy, quiet, a sickly boy. He was raised in a city with hard streets, hard people, hard rules and he learned hard lessons - the hard way.

But he DID, eventually, learn - which is more than can be said for most. He learned as he grew, and grew as he learned. Right from wrong seemed to be something that those in his "circle", his family, didn't seem to have any grasp of. To put it bluntly, a rabid, greedy slew of narcissistic monsters who had one thing on their minds, themselves, what they could get, with very little effort, what they could take, who they could hurt to make themselves feel superior, no matter who they trampled on, no matter the cost or consequence, people like these do not ever feel accountable for their actions.

It is not untrue to say that as the lad grew and learned and turned into a man, these others looked down on him more than ever before, they had no use for him as he began to assert himself and dance to his own tune, he buried himself in books, books about other places, better places, beautiful places, escape. Even as an adult they called him names, bullied him, beat him up and in doing so, the once shy lad, now a man was filled with a burning, seething hot and ugly anger, his temper was short and in time he then, became the bully. To those who mocked, spat, ridiculed him he no longer had patience and would be quite likely to grab one and knock him to the ground and pummel them in an uncontrolled fury.
And then as most bullies do, they band together, surprised him one night on the hard streets and beat him to within an inch of his life. He lay there, falling unconscious.

No one knows how long he laid there, how long he was unconscious, some say he must have died, but nobody knew for sure, but he woke to the sound of birds singing and mist in his face, was it mist? He opened his eyes and was looking into a pair of eyes looking back at him, a fallow deer, licking his cheek. Sitting up with a start he was disoriented, looking around he saw he was in a meadow with tall grass, leafy trees, fresh air and silence, all except for the singing birds. He held out his hand to the deer, it lowered it's head for him to pet and he was so taken and confused by what was happening to him, he slumped to the ground, face first, and wept and wept and wept.

To be continued.
Whisperer>>elms<<Naturalist
-Greed breeds destruction-
-You'll only ever see what I choose to show you-
-Manners are free-
-The Music of Nature fills the cracks in the mind that words will never reach-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Nature Boy

Post by Elmer »

He must have fallen asleep there, when he opened his eyes the sun was setting on the horizon. The deer was laying in the tall grass not far from him, looking around as if it was keeping watch.
Standing up he felt like every bone and muscle in his body hurt, he gave out a low groan and looked around wondering what this place was. The air was cool as the light of the day faded, the songs of birds were replaced by crickets and croaking frogs. Lightning bugs began to flash in and out of existence, he stood just staring at them, something he had never seen before.

In the distance he heard mournful howls, wolves maybe, he couldn't be sure but he was on his guard. His limbs and back began to ache as he stood there so he began to walk, slowly and carefully as a full moon rose to replace the sun. He heard a swishing of the grass behind him and froze, eyes wide he looked behind him and saw that it was just the deer, following a few steps behind. He couldn't help but smile, something that felt very unfamiliar on his face, so much so, that it seemed to take unusual effort to do it and it almost hurt.

He walked through the tall grass, occasionally catching the glowing bugs, stopping to look at them in his cupped hand before they flew away again. He heard what he thought might be water in the distance, a river maybe, he realized then that he was very thirsty and hungry and very tired. He went towards the sound , the deer now moving to walk in front of him, he thought to himself " is he leading me?" am I dead? this is like a dream.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Nature Boy 3

Post by Elmer »

As he approached the water the deer stopped abruptly, standing still and looking around. Birds seemed to come out of nowhere, dozens of birds, flying in a circle above, they became loud, almost deafening, they began to swoop and dart at the deer and the man. The man flailed his arms and ducked his head trying to sheild himself from the onslaught of the birds, wondering what the hell they were attacking him for.

A brisk swoosh of air past his face, he ducked, looked ahead, as an arrow struck the deer dead center in the chest, it fell. The man scrambled to the deer, beneath his breath repeating.."no, no, no" as another woosh of air past his head, then another. He flailed and stumbled, got up, tripped again, then started to run as arrow after arrow flew past his head and body. He came to a dead end, nothing in front of him but the river, another arrow flew past, grazing his arm, as he grabbed his arm, tripping again he fell into the swift moving river.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Nature Boy 4

Post by Elmer »

The Hunter was skillful and stealthy, he'd been tracking his prey for days. No hurry, he knew he had the upper hand. The fun is in the chase.
He grinned a sickening, frightening grin as he ducked down behind an outcropping of rocks.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Nature Boy 5

Post by Elmer »

The Hunter had been tracking the man from the first day he had seen him in the meadow, he watched his ridiculous displays of bonding with the deer, and listening to the bird song like some sort of simpleton, he listened to his pathetic sobs as he laid in the grass and wailed like an infant. The Hunter covered his ears, holding his hands painfully tight to his head, gritting his teeth.

"the deer is for FOOD, it is not a PET" he snarled under his breath, "survival is paramount, though how would anyone like HIM know anything about survival, suffering, self preservation, maybe he needs a lesson .. " he scoffed with disdain.

He was hungry, but thought one more day won't matter much, he silently made camp for the night behind an outcropping of rocks, not far from the weeping man.

At first dawn he woke and stealthily made his way to the river for water, picked some berries along the way and some roots, snagging edible lichen from the trees as he passed them. By the time he returned to his hidden camp, the "nature boy" was on the move, that is what he had mentally named the other man. He watched with a sneer as the man walked along with the deer following close behind, then moved in front of the man.. "that's right sweetheart, you show him the way" his stomach growled as he kept his eyes on the deer, was nature boy TALKING to it?, how ridiculous, enough is enough. He raised his bow and took aim, the deer raised it's head, and froze, on alert, but it was too late, the Hunter rarely missed his mark. He grinned..."dinner is served, for days, awww whatsa matter nature boy?, lost your new friend?, gonna cry??".. he snickered under his breath and drew his bow again, letting an arrow fly just past the nature boy's head.." run, run, time to play, little man." He let another fly, then another, then one more, a bit closer, just grazing nature boy's arm. The Hunter was satisfied as he saw his target flail and fall into the river. "Have a good swim, idiot."

He made his way to the deer to gut it, skin it and prepare it for food, and the skin for later use. He had all the time in the world, he would resume his other hunt, later.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Nature Boy 6

Post by Elmer »

The man flailed and tried to stay afloat as the river dragged him downstream, wasn't much more he could do than that, swimming wasn't his strong point.
Eventually there was a place in the river that slowed enough that he could gain some footing and walk to the grassy bank. He crawled up it then collapsed on his back, catching his breath. He looked at his arm, there wasn't too much blood, the arrow had just grazed the skin.

It started to sink in as he looked at his wounded arm that his friend, the deer had been killed, he scowled as he also realized that he was also being hunted. Just as he was thinking about that he heard a booming voice that echoed through the valley from up above

"one minute head start Nature Boy, better get moving!!!"

the man's eyes widened as he scrambled to his feet and looked around, and scanned the cliffs above from where he had fallen, he could see nothing, but he kept hunched low as if that would somehow keep him protected. A large rock sailed past his head and landed in the water with a mighty splash.."he mumbled in gasping breaths as he began to run again.."oh shit...help me, somebody help me!"

The Hunter grinned as he watched nature boy run, and run just the way he knew he would. The Hunter shook his head, grinned and clicked his tongue..tsk....tsk..
With calm precision he walked ahead along the cliff face to a place he knew was an easy path down, no hurry, he knew that nature boy would run into an area of very dense thicket which would take him awhile to get through, and by then, the Hunter would be waiting for him on the other side.

to be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Nature Boy 7

Post by Elmer »

He didn't know how long he had been trying to get through the thick brush and brambles, it seemed like an eternity. His arms and legs were scratched and bloody, even his face from his feet getting tangled and pitching forward into the brush. His clothes torn, his hands raw from trying to make his way through. He was exhausted and defeated, the tangle of growth was so thick he couldn't even sit to rest.

He fell back, oblivious to the branches and thorns that tore into his back. He began to sob, "Help me, somebody help me.." He lay there for quite awhile, questioning his life, wondering why these bad things always happened to him, feeling sorry for himself and loathing. "haven't I always tried to do right, haven't I always been nice and tried to help people when I could?, now look, lost, lost again, I've always been lost, what is even the !#@($*%!! POINT."

He was angry now, angry at himself, angry at others, angry at the world. He hated those who bullied him, he hated those who had no time for him when he was a kid, he hated life and the world and most of all himself for being weak, lost, useless.
He laid his forearm over his eyes.

Just then he heard a soft trill from up above. He opened his eyes to see where it came from. He saw nothing so closed his eyes again.

Another trill, louder and more insistent this time. He looked and off to his right on a tree top was a ring-necked dove. It flapped its wings a couple of times, then made another trill. It lifted from the tree top and moved to another one, a bit more to the right.

Nature boy stood up again and began to move ahead, pushing his way through the thicket. Three loud trills then and what sounded like a mournful cry came from the dove. He stopped and looked at it, the bird moved back to the tree he had originally been on, then to the second.

the man turned to the right to face the bird, and began to push through the bramble that way, the bird emitted one soft "cooo". As the man got closer to the bird, it lifted off again and moved to a tree that was farther along and left of where it was.. the man grunted and continued on, towards the bird, sapped of his strength he could barely lift his feet anymore. As he got closer to the tree and the bird, he noticed the brush and bramble starting to thin out, he picked up his pace a bit, wanting more than anything to be out of this hell. When he was nearly at the tree where the bird sat, the path was clear, and standing at the base of the tree, was another deer, a magnificent 8 point buck.

They stared at each other for a long time before Nature Boy collapsed to the ground, weeping again, his flesh burning from the numerous cuts, jabs and bruises, mumbling thank you. He closed his eyes.

To be continued.
Last edited by Elmer on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Re: Nature Boy 8

Post by Elmer »

Nature Boy felt something on his face, he sat up with a start, the sun was just setting. The buck stood close, it nudged his shoulder with it's snout.

He stood up on weakened legs, almost whining, "I cannn't.." The cuts and scratches on his body were inflamed an angry red, much like the thoughts that coursed through the man's brain. The bird, who had been still perched in the tree, took flight to a tree a bit farther on, but on lower branches. The deer chuffed, dug a hoof into the ground and began walking the same way.

The man stood there a minutes, really not wanting to go on any further, there was no place to go, he didn't care anymore. The deer stopped, turned and looked at Nature Boy, It flared it's nostrils, then raised itself up on it's hind legs before pounding solidly back to the ground with his front ones. The man looked around, then for whatever reason, lowered his head, bitching and complaining, but began walking towards the way the deer was going, the deer, turning back to continue walking. They walked a half hour or so, the bird going up ahead every few yards, after the second time it flew and went to land, it went down to somewhere that the man could no longer see it.

Plodding along with his head down, not paying attention, he ran smack dab into the back end of the deer with a thud. He was startled. The deer stepped to the side, revealing the Hunter, bow drawn and ready, pointing directly at Nature Boy ... he opened his eyes wide, mouth agape.. looking into the Hunters face ... You.. No, your'e not real!

He drew the bow back with a sickening sneer.. and let it fly, quickly changing the direction of his aim to Nature Boy's arm. As the arrow struck it's mark, the Hunter looked into his mirror image, the sickening grim remaining as he said .. "Whatsa matter Nature Boy, can't face your true self?! YES, I AM YOU!!

No, no, I'm not you, I'm nothing like you! The hunter loaded another arrow, drew back his bow again, and Nature Boy lunged forward, knocking the bow from his grip as they fell to the ground in a tussle.

whatsa matter Nature Boyyy you gonna cryyy? booo hooo pooor meee, why does everything always happen to meeee..

Nature Boy saw red then, anger flashed in his eyes he unleashed an uncontrollable rage, pummeling the Hunter about the head and face, The Hunter jumped scrabbling for his bow. Nature Boy was right up behind him, as he reached to grab for him the Hunter brought the thick ironwood of his bow down on the Nature Boy's arm, then his thigh, and again, a mighty crack and crunch of bone was heard as the Nature Boy screamed out in pain.

He continued to beat Nature boy with the bow, Nature Boy screaming, yelling, begging him to stop...

What?!?! I can't HEEAR you Nature Boy, you want me to stop?? You want to live?? as he continued to bring the bow down on the now, very smashed leg of Nature Boy.

don't kill me !! stop..please..STOP..Oh God help me..

You sure?? Life is HARD...booohooo poooor yoooou little Nature Boyyyyyy

Nature Boy with a sudden burst of adrenaline, grabbed the bow from the Hunter hands, ran into him knocking him to his back, he pounced and straddled his chest, pressing the string of the bow against The hunter's throat....

My NAME, is ELMER!!!!

The Hunter, looking into the mirror image of himself, relaxed, smiled and nodded once, he spoke a single word as his form dissipated into one teeny, tiny speck, the speck swirled around Elmer then melded into the flesh of his chest.

SURVIVE.

He opened his eyes to see he was in a sterile environment. He felt weird, he went to scratch his nose and was not able to lift his arm. Hospital? As he gained more coherence he saw someone approach him. The Doctor spoke softly

"You are lucky to be alive man, you were in very rough shape. Luckily that bird kept making that incessant noise, it was the strangest thing, the folks who lived near by went to investigate and there you were, laying on the curb. We are not sure if you will ever gain full use of your right arm and leg again, but we hope that with rehabilitation and time..

Elmer glanced to the left side of his bed and saw a wheelchair parked there, and a wheeled walker next to that. He nodded once and closed his eyes, images and visions of deer and doves and a single sunbeam piercing through a storm cloud before he drifted into a deep sleep.

The End..?
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

It was many months of hard work, grueling pain and rehabilitation until he was able to walk again, albeit with the help of a special wheeled walker at first, and then a cane with a specialized forearm cuff, which he supposed he would likely need indefinitley, but that was ok, it was good to be more mobile again. He didn't dwell on the time between waking in the hospital and getting to the walking part, because things happened in that span of time that continue to haunt him, so he shoves them way down deep.

What he did know for sure was that it was time for a change, the city in which he had lived all of his life, the mean streets with meaner people, was no longer a suitable place, actually it never was, but he was just always afraid to go away from the familiar. so when he felt like he was strong enough, he packed up and headed out. As he journeyed he would often stop to rest and think and dream of the magical place where he felt so at ease, he wondered if any of it had been real, or a dream, a hallucination? He wasn't sure he would ever know the answer to that, but he did know he wanted to find a place that made him feel the same sense of peace and .. well LIFE. that place was the first time in his banal existence he had ever actually felt alive.
Nature boy? yea, maybe, so what?? He thought it was high time he didn't give a damn what others thought of him if he was ever going to have any sort of life. As he continued on his way, meandering away from the busy and hurried noises and stench of the city, he could have sworn he heard wind whispering through the leaves of trees and gentle rippling waters of a stream, fresh crisp air filled his lungs, he smiled and followed his senses.

To be continued
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

As he continued on, his smile faded as the wind stopped, all became silent, the fresh air turned acrid. It was just twilight now, he had to squint to see the path up ahead and what he saw was not promising. A dark foreboding fog was beginning to lift from the ground, he stopped, thought, then went to turn back and saw that the fog was closing in on all sides.

A familiar voice echoed through the fog, "You think you were gonna be all happily ever after?, you're more of an idiot than I thought" then footsteps, others gathering, more voices joined in, laughter, evil in their intent.

He stood, gritting his teeth as he heard the voices, his face reddening with anger and hatred, his faith in humanity and all things supposedly "good" beginning to fade...again.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He stood with his eyes closed and jaws clenched, listening as they moved closer, the familiar taunts assailing his ears and his mind. They were so close now he could smell their rotten breath, he snapped his eyes open suddenly just as a beefy ugly thug of a man was rearing an arm back to take a swing at him. Nature Boy extened his arms quickly and held his hands out to shield himself from the blow, as he did - a blinding steel blue light arced around him and he saw the thug, along with the others go sailing backwards as if pushed by a mighty gust of wind, they landed several yards away, with a crash.

He looked at his hands, in a stupor, his hands and fingers tingling, the glow fading from them and around his form, then he looked over to the men on the ground who were quickly scrambling to their feet and running away from him with looks of abject terror in their eyes.

He rubbed his hands, shook them out, then sat hard on the ground, wearily placing his palms down. The steel blue light reformed as a cyclone where he had placed his hands, surrounding him, whirling, a deafening tornado, he pressed his hands against his ears, and then he was gone.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He was disoriented and had no idea where he was.

"You found it.."

He startled and scrambled to his feet at the voice, not a frightening voice, calm and soothing, but that someone was speaking to him at all was the surprise.

He slowly scanned his surroundings to try to find the source of the voice. "Found...what?", where am I?, do I know you?

"Your gift, and your place, welcome to the City of dreams. I am your teacher, my friend."

The voice stepped out of from the shadows, a cloaked man, quite handsome, with kind eyes and a gentle smile.

"What Gift? City of Dreams? Never heard of it and what do you mean teacher, I'm way too old for school, besides, hated it, dropped out."

The cloaked man chuckled softly, he waved a hand and suddenly the two of them were transported to a beautiful Library which smelled of leather and sweet cigar smoke, the cloaked man motioned for Nature Boy to have a seat, before he settled to sit himself, he began to speak.

Now I want you to think about your life up to now, have you ever felt you knew about things before they actually happened?, Have you ever had "vibes" about someone or something, whether good or bad, only to have those vibes become reality? Have you ever wanted to just disappear, and when you thought about it hard enough, you actually did? Are animals in the wild drawn to you and approach you with no fear? You feel people's emotions, I do not mean just on a surface level, but you can actually *feel* them as if they were your own, you are an Empath, it is why you find yourself fleeing from situations where there is anger or aggression, it overloads your mind and body with emotion you do not want to feel, and this... and these, are only a small sample of the Gifts that you possess. It is my job, and my pleasure and honor, to help you hone and perfect these gifts. Are you ready to begin??"

The cloaked man smiled pleasingly with a twinkle in his eye, as Nature Boy sat quietly, trying to process what he had just heard.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He looked at the cloaked man and nodded his head.

"well, I dunno, I mean sure I get "vibes" usually about folks, sometimes others think somebody is a great fellow or a wonderful woman and they do seem so on the surface, but sometimes I will feel that something is a tad.."off" about them, and usually it comes to pass that I was correct, sometimes it is very strong like BAM! warning...this person is bad news!, sometimes it is more subtle. Then sometimes in situations, I can feel and know when a storm is coming, before it happens, and that is figuratively and literally, a storm in the weather, or a storm of aggression or violence or plain evil. But I mean, I figure everybody feels this stuff. I keep it to myself, these feelings, because people don't generally listen to me as a whole, they do not have the patience you see, as I have a severe stutter..and mostly they just laugh at me or call me ... things.

hey, wait!! why am I not stuttering now?!?! *** he flails ***

the cloaked man smiled as he listened, with the wave of a hand he produced 2 cups of a steaming beverage and handed one to his student. SIpping at the cup, he paused a long while before answering.

First, you are not stuttering, because you are in a dream, and in our dreams we tend to think of ourselves as we would like to be, rather than how we are.

As for your gift, some people can do what you do, but they are rare, there are very few true Empaths in the world, mostly what people are doing is forming an opinion of a person or a situation, where as you, you can actually physically and mentally feel these things as if they were your own.

You can feel warmth and love from the heart of a genuinely kind and caring person, you can feel anger, you can feel someone's sorrow, and most importantly but unfortunately, you can feel true deep, dark, evil. However, this serves you well, and here, it will also serve your fellow dreamers.

I know you, I know that these gifts have been a blessing and a curse, I know of your trials and tribulations, I know of your pain and anguish, and I know that your life has not been one that you have wanted, and I also know, that you have tried to end that life.

The cloaked man paused and sipped his beverage as Nature Boy hung his head, with a nearly imperceptible nod.

What I know now is, it is your time to shine, it is your time to use your gifts for the good of the people, time to share that giant heart of yours, playfulness and kindness and bring joy to others. It is also your time to use your gifts to warn of danger, watch for intruders or frauds and quell evil, and I also want you to Teach.

Yes, I know you never finished your schooling, yes I know people have called you a dummy, an idiot and all manner of other unsavory names, but we both know that this is not true in the slightest, your mind is full of wonderful thoughts and ideas, you may not think like others do on an intellectual or scholastic level, but you have heart, and sometimes, heart is the best teacher.

This is your purpose, it is three fold.

I cannot promise you that there won't be anymore trials, or sorrow, or pain. I cannot promise you that you won't be mocked or that you won't come up against naysayers or bullies, I cannot promise you that there won't be those who try to knock you down and try to negate what you are doing.

What I can promise you is, that I will be with you every step of the way, helping you to grow and nurture and hone your skills , your gift , your dream, and your purpose. It is all inside of you, all you need do is have the confidence to open your mind and heart to it and let it out.

And so I ask you again, are you ready to begin?

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

As Nature Boy talked with the cloaked figure, he didn't notice twin brothers Nick and Dick enter the Library, they watched and listened from a distance.

"Well, yea, I guess I'm ready, I mean, dunno what else I'm going to do. So how do I start?"

First I want you to get a feel for this place, you are going to be amazed at what you see..ah, oh, I should warn you, there are Nightmares. You may choose to fight them or you can avoid them or disappear!, whatever you decide is fine, this is your dream".

At this time, brothers Nick and Dick started walking over. Nature boy noticed them and smiled.

"Looks like we have company.."

"Hey man, I'm Dick, this is Mick, doing alright?"

"Doing pretty good, least I think I am, right??" he chuckled and looked to his cloaked friend."

Dick said..

"Dude, who you talking to????"

Nature Boy laughed. Oh sorry! , this is my teacher, let me introduce you. he turned to smile at his teacher . hey I don't even know your na........"

Dick looked at Mick, they mumbled to each other..

"craaay craaaay" , "total whack job" they started to laugh, punched each other on the arm and left the library.

Nature Boy looked at the empty space where his teacher had been.. "No".

to be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He woke up having that familiar weird foggy feeling, again not knowing how much time had passed. When he was able to focus and look around he saw that he was in yet another unfamiliar place. Not at all unpleasant, an open room with a marble floor, pillars instead of solid walls gave him a view to a blue sky smeared with soft hazy cloud.
Last thing he remembered were the brothers in the Library.

He stood up to look at some items surrounding him and when he turned around he was startled to see his cloaked "friend".

"About time you showed up again, thought we lost you."

Me? what do you mean?, you're the one who disappeared and made me look like a dumbass, I don't even think you are real."

It's been weeks my friend, and I am as real as this room you are standing in, that sky you see, those items on the shelf, take that as you will.

"Weeks..?"

Again he struggled to piece together the block of lost time he had no memory of, this had happened his entire life and he still was not able to understand it. How much had he missed over the years, what had happened when he was "gone" and most importantly, where did he GO when he was gone..? This troubled him more than he ever let on.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He opened his eyes and was again in unfamiliar surroundings. It was dark and damp, felt like a small room, he heard nothing other than the sound of his own breath.
He stood up and tried to feel his way around and was suddenly blinded by a bright flash of light, on a wall in front of him there was what looked like a tapestry.
Walking towards it he squinted his eyes and realized it was some sort of calendar. As his eyes adjusted to the shadow of the room he was able to make out the date.

His mouth agape, he just stared at it as he saw that the Calendar was dated 73 years ahead of the time he remembered he was actually..*supposed* to be in.

"What in the actual HELL is going on..."
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

As his mind slowly cleared from the dream and he woke up, the sun had risen. He sat up in bed and looked around his small familiar room, grumbling and feeling the the damp in his joints, he noticed he had left the window open during the rain storm the night before.
Standing up with a groan he grasped the walking stick near the bed and plodded over to close the window, straightening the tapestry calendar on the wall.

As he made his way out to the kitchen to make his usual cup of dark roast, he pondered about all the strange dreams he had been having lately, interesting certainly, but strange. He hardly ever had dreams really, and especially ones when he was so young and spry. He chuckled and shook his head, musing to himself.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He woke from a late afternoon nap, having had another dream about the special place, he made himself a fresh cup of dark roast, took the steaming mug with him and went out into the fresh, cool evening air. The Buck, as always, was lingering nearby. "Ah, there you are my old and trusted friend." The deer chuffed and gave a shake of it's head as if to greet.

He sat on the old weathered porch and considered his last few dreams. These were different, he dreamt them as himself, no longer youthful or spry, he looked in his dreams as he looked at this moment, as he had for years. Silver haired, arthritic, and weathered, much like the old porch where he sat.

He thought it incredibly odd that no one had taken notice, except for one of course, the one he was wed to in this special place. His companion of dreams was only slightly taken aback, not shocked, perhaps a little confused for a few moments, but then came to realize that he must be seeing what was true, rather than what had been imagined. It did not matter to his dream partner.
Wouldn't it be nice he thought, if the real world worked that way, and folks didn't focus on and judge others by what they looked like, or how they talked or walked or the clothes they put on their backs.

He looked at the old deer and began speaking to him, the deer, as always, looked at him as if he understood his words.

"We've been through a lot you and I, old friend. I've seen you shed those antlers again and again, only to grow them anew, each time more robust than the next. I spoke of you, as I recall it.. in the dream place, to a man who is in tune with the Circle of Life, much more in tune than I could ever hope to be. I spoke to him of my own antlers..figuratively speaking.. shedding, being reborn, over and over, searching for purpose. He seemed to know this already, in fact he knew much more of me than I know of myself I think. He is very wise this one, his senses keen, a kind and gentle soul. We spoke of corruption in the dream place, in the past, present, and the likely future, and we spoke of a more pure dreaming place, a place of Origin. I am his student and he is mine. I hope to have many more talks with this one. I told him about you, he did not laugh, or mock or look at me like I was bonkers, he simply, accepted. It was affirming and very welcome."

The deer gave another chuff , a soft snort and a shake of his head. The old man stood up with the help of his walking stick, grabbed an apple out of a basket on the porch , cut it in quarters with his pocket knife and plodded over to the deer, holding the snack in his open palm while the deer ate it slowly.

"Yup.. we've been through a lot you and I."

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

He walked along the wooded path, of course his antlered friend not far behind, like his shadow. The large animals hooves crunched in the fall leaves that blanketed the ground. The canopy of trees above every once in awhile opened to the sun before it disappeared once again.
This was his safe place, the sounds of nature, the fresh air, the solitude.

He approached the small stream where he usually sat to rest. As he settled into a spot where the sun would warm his face, a velvety indigo and black coloured butterfly landed on his knee, it stayed there for long moments, slowly opening and closing it's wings as they do when they are at rest, he smiled and remembered a dream. He laid his open palm on his leg.

"Hello there beautiful".

The butterfly slowly walked to stand on his fingertips, before flitting up to sit on his shoulder.

He wondered if his dreams, or parts of his dreams could actually manifest in reality or send signs..or messages, or maybe?, it was the other way around, he really had no idea. Turning his head to look at the delicate winged creature, he was awash with heartfelt joy and love, but also wistful melancholy. He thought about these feelings and the woman in his dreams who was connected to them, to the butterfly, she loved butterflies, and he loved her. He no longer dreamt of her, well, that was not entirely true, he did not *see* her in his dreams, but she was ever in his mind and thoughts, even awake, as some others were from his dreams.

He sat there for a long time, he dared not move, as he did not want to disturb the butterfly from her perch. As the sun was setting, he slowly and carefully stood and turned to face the way he had come, he smiled warmly as he saw that his new little companion did not seem to have any interest in moving. The three of them slowly made their way back home, the man paused to wipe tears from his face as he thought of the many ways he had been blessed.

To be continued.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

A shadowed and cloaked figure seemed to slide out from the cover of the trees, it lunged at the man and the deer, the moon reflected off of large glistening fangs. The deer moved to stand in front of the man. The fanged beast clung to the deer, tearing at it's flesh, the man was unable to move, frozen in horror and disbelief, he could do no more than grit his teeth and pray. The battle continued for what seemed forever.
The deer rose up on hind legs and came down hard with front hooves on the beast on the ground, a brilliant flash as the ground shook, a loud snarl from the enemy, red eyes glowing, fangs dripping with blood, then a whimper and a yelp before it vanished into thin air.

The old man woke with a start and sat up in bed soaked in sweat, gasping for breath. Wiping a palm down over his face he saw that the deer was curled up in front of the hearth, he smiled and let out a breath of relief;

until he noticed the deer was not breathing.

The butterfly circled slowly as if in reverence before it came to rest in the mans hand.
-Manners are free-
Elmer
Dreamer

Post by Elmer »

The forest is quiet except for a mournful sounding cry from a coyote in the night.
He sits in front of the fire, the glow from the embers ,enough light to show the weathered creases in his face and reflect in his eyes.

He flicks the stub of his smoke into the dying fire and looks down to his little companion, curled up next to his legs, a puma of stunted growth with one gimpy leg , the animal is not much bigger than an average domestic cat and would not have ever survived in the wild on it's own. It stretches and yawns as the man reaches to pat it on the head..."well...are you ready to go sugar ?"

The man stands and slings his rucksack over one shoulder and begins to walk...the puma following close behind.
-Manners are free-