Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Coma

-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Coma

Post by -Lacie- »

She was a responsible woman. She had a family to raise, children to nurture, a job in a prestigious corner of the economy. She voted regularly and served on juries as they asked her to.

She didn’t drink; a glass of wine with a special dinner was the extent of her tolerance. She never did drugs or hung out with the “wrong” crowd, or took a chance. "Risk" wasn’t a word she knew the definition of …. except for perhaps one instance. She loved to drive her car … alone … as fast as the machine would go.

It was an obsession, a drug, a high that she couldn’t do more than a day without. Her convertible allowed for the full force of Wind to hit her in the face. The racing heartbeat was more erotic than her loving husband of 10 years ever saw her experience. It was… Blissful Instability.

As any addict would, she kept her machine in perfect running order, peak performance. The children didn’t ride in it; her husband wasn’t allowed around it. Even the dog knew better than to try and hike a leg around the tires. The oil was always new, the seals were hand-lubricated, the leather seats always glistened with their supple softness, just begging for the company of a driver.

There was a stretch of road, outside of town, that she knew very well. It was the heroin den of her obsession. She would watch the weather reports, waiting for the conditions to be right, so that she could be on the road for as long as she possibly could. The humidity, wind-speed, and temperature had to be perfect.

The road circled around a mountain. It wasn’t an especially tall or difficult mountain. That was the beauty of it. The slopes were gradual enough to allow speeds in excess of 50 mph, and the gradient was no more than her favorite racetracks. A bit of morning misted dew on the pavement allowed for some drifting, which only sent her emotions into high gear. And the best part about the road was the fact that it didn’t really ~go~ anywhere. The road circled up, and around to the top in twisted curves and bends, only to flatten out to a clearing, where an old mansion fought the ravages of time.

Her family didn’t know she had bought this crumbling abode. It was the only way she was assured that only she would ever be on the road and that it was all just for her and her addictive pleasure.

That morning was like any other; just another ordinary day in an ordinary life with ordinary promised throughout the day. She sent the children off to school, kissed her husband and sent him off to work. The closely watched weather report for today promised a good ride, so she had actually gotten the day off. Her plan was simple: she would drive all morning and half the afternoon. There was a storm coming, and the mountain would be covered first in torrents of rain, then ice and finally covered with a foot of snow soon. This was her last chance for some time, so she had to make the very best of it.

As she approached the road leading up, she pulled to the side of the road, to open the gate. Yes, she had blocked off the road with a fence! This was HER road, and she didn’t want ANYONE to mess with it! Gloves put on carefully, goggles, of course, and the seat-belt tightened. She looked up the road as she let the engine purr its readiness under her. She took one last, cleansing breath and put the car into its first gear.

The natural rubber didn’t really bother her too much. It couldn’t have been more than three or four rubber trees for this full set. The titanium reinforcing steel threads did cost her a year’s worth of spa days and new blouses, but the custom tires hugged the road like a lover’s embrace.

She slung hair back and laughed; the car seemed to be moaning under the harness of her hands. It begged her to let it run freely up the path. She could resist no longer. Her foot eased off the brake and the car lunged forward, even before the accelerator was touched by her bare toes.

Nothing on her mind but the bending of the road. Time meant nothing, space was a passing folly, and the depth and breadth of possible consequences was only exhaled debris. There was one thing different this time; she had given more than a passing thought to the mansion at the top. It was as if glancing at something from the corner of the eye, turning and not seeing it there any longer, but in that instant … everything changed.

There were no fences or guardrails along this road; no one conceived this road would be driven at such breakneck speeds. The tires wore away gravel from each corner turned, and the increasing speed left more of a huge plume of dust and debris in her wake.

The right rear tire skidded off the ledge, but the car was going so fast, it jumped right back into place. Upward she flew until she could have looked up and seen the spires of the mansion. There was no time to look up. Faster and faster, she was almost frightening herself, as she’d never gone this fast before.

The car jumped from the road as the path flattened out at the top. Bouncing back down made a horrendous thud and the mansion seemed to groan irritably. That rock had never been there before, but it was too late. The front tires found the stone, sending the car flipping over and over. The speed seemed to bend time and warp space, hurling the small convertible up the stairs of the mansion, coming to rest upside down mere feet from the grand front door. The door seemed to moan and creak, opening slightly as a steam burst from the radiator.

Hours passed, darkness took over the mountain. Someone must have seen the smoke rise and sent for an ambulance. She was more dead than alive when she arrived at the hospital. “Her wounds are indeed grave”, the doctor said as he reached for the only thing that might save her life ... a chemically-induced Coma.

She couldn’t stop them. She knew she was alive inside and could see, hear and feel all they did to her. She struggled to move without success. It was only when someone whispered in an odd way that her mind and body reluctantly relaxed. It was as if her head turned and there, in the corner of her eye, a faint whisper of a being motioned her forward, repeating …

"~Entering DreamState~"

~Lacie~

Hall of Echoes - Sagas
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Time-Benders Prologue

Post by -Lacie- »

There is a depth of perception and the perception in and of depth. Where is the center? Where is that spot that lies this side of consciousness, and that side of a world of Dreams ... a DreamState? There is a tome of old, dated in an age before mechanization and industry, which was written in an eon that looked to the future.

Maybe someday, if you get to know me well enough, I'll share the name and location of this tome. Until that time, you are left only with the clues of my work, my Insight and Lucidity at the fullest I was able to get it thusfar, my perceptions of what we call being alive. This is a total misnomer, as you may also conclude towards the end.

Someone said to me recently, "This is how you died."

To 90% of the general population and probably 75% of the people who read and study my Journals will never understand what it is I'm fighting so hard.... not to say aloud. I won't say it, and there's nothing or no-one who can force me to do so. I will elude, give clues and try to teach and guide you to it, but I can only point at the door. I cannot open it for you.

My biography is published for all to see and know. I state right away that I care not what, if, or how this affects you.

This isn't FOR you. It's for Civilization - a completely different concept. I leave this in posterity, for I am dead, and have been dead a very long time.

I'll get ... to that later.

Many know how the story ended; this isn't a tale already told. This is how it all began.

~Lacie~

Hall of Echoes - Sagas - TimeBenders
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Re: Coma - Chapter 2

Post by -Lacie- »

She laid in the bed ... as always. The nurses were precise and dedicated to their tasks. The clean sheets would arrive, their fresh scent almost like music to her. The sheets would shuffle the Air, sometimes tossing a lock of her beautiful hair into her eyes. She was still in there, in this pitiful bag of bones and water. She had to get out.

She could do more than they thought she could. And that was in her favor. This room, this tiny, dark room, was not her boundary. She looked around the room until she found it, her left cheek raising to smirk, closed her eyes and reached her mind out ... to 'touch' it....

"Entering DreamState ... "

That ~had~ to be the answer.

~They~ were the ones to make her this way, induce this wretched effect on her. The linens are changed daily, and sometimes there are even flowers brought into the area. But she was still in there and was going go get out, regardless of what another ... mortal ... decided for her.

She had to ... Become.

Here, in this place of beauty, bounty and audacity, she could Become. Perhaps one day, she wouldn't need the wretched pile of skin, bones and liquids laying on those pristine sheets any more.

She feels able to reach a hand into a pocked along her left side. Withdrawing the hand reveals a small notebook, with a scrap of lead, partially wrapped in leather, attached to it.

There was only one way. If this didn't work, this would be the end.

Journal Entry #1 - The Escape

~Lacie~
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal